Police services and ATS

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
nothof60
Rookie Member

Re: Police services and ATS

Postby nothof60 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am
Campin16 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:55 am
Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:39 pm

And the bottom line is ATS is gone, and you will see a lot more people applying.

Trust me, it makes a huge difference
I guess what I'm trying to say, is the ATS is not that hard to pass. You just have to want to put the time in to study and prepare both physically and mentally and if that small hurdle was too much for you then I don't know if u want it enough...

I know any police force hiring will do their best to vet any applicants and I'm sure they'll get a lot more applying without ATS... But I guess the concern is they'll pass up quality applicants in an effort to attract or court applicants that are less serious and just want to keep there options open... If you know what I mean..
I know of people that worked as radio host and was hired, so, I disagree with less serious person applying.

It’s all about life experience and what you offer as an individual
That's a bingo!

nothof60
Rookie Member

Postby nothof60 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:08 pm

machine4321 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:23 am
According to the FAQ on the site, this is no longer a pass fail but a way to give the police service some insight into the applicant. While I’m sure this will bring some questionable people out of the woodwork but it’s up to the service to decide if the applicant is a fit or not. It still seems like a bit of a cash grab but What can you do?

The new process seems to be a good way to make sure the applicant is healthy enough and has basic knowledge before a service invests time into an applicant.
The aptitude portion of the new testing IS a pass or fail.

York
Rookie Member

Postby York » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:39 pm

There may be some miscommunication regarding the new Mental Ability Assessment.

From the OACP Certificate website FAQ:
9. What happens if I fail the Part B or Part C testing?
Both Part B and Part C are not a pass or fail assessment. Rather, they are both tools used by the
police service (which you apply) that help determine overall suitability.
Mental Ability Assessment being in Part B.

MisterT
Rookie Member

Postby MisterT » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:07 pm

For those who did the ATS testing which OACP package do we buy? The equivalency for $50 or the normal certificate for $250?

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:18 pm

MisterT wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:07 pm
For those who did the ATS testing which OACP package do we buy? The equivalency for $50 or the normal certificate for $250?
Read the information they provided. It is pretty simple to follow and understand

Thank you

No free hand out
Correctional Officer, CO2

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:47 pm

MisterT wrote:
If you started Stage 1, and you failed your PATI for example, you can purchase the equivalency for $50 from what I understand. They don't want to charge people additional $250 to do it all over it again.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP sent: Dec 13 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
recom Dec 16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
App recom: Jan 11
PBQ: Feb 10
Suitability: Feb 26
RMAQ: Feb ???
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

50below0
Rookie Member

Postby 50below0 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:12 pm

MisterT wrote:
You have only 2 options, you should not buy the 250 one rather the 50 one , OACP Certificate Equivalency.
more details here:

https://oacpcertificate.ca/wp-content/u ... -Guide.pdf

i was registered for ATS in 2020, and now i hope i will get my money back.

50below0
Rookie Member

Postby 50below0 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 pm

So, With ATS there was a lot of sources and sites to study from. How do i prepare for the new
stage a \part 1 phase of the online assessment ?

machine4321
Rookie Member

Postby machine4321 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:55 pm

50below0 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 pm
So, With ATS there was a lot of sources and sites to study from. How do i prepare for the new

I was also looking into this. Again, it’s not a pass fail situation and we are unaware at this point what exactly they will be testing on.

I would still like to be prepared for it as best I can as the service you apply to will more then likely be looking into the results.

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm

machine4321 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:55 pm
50below0 wrote:

I was also looking into this. Again, it’s not a pass fail situation and we are unaware at this point what exactly they will be testing on.

I would still like to be prepared for it as best I can as the service you apply to will more then likely be looking into the results.
Im waiting for my package. I'm also looking to see what is being assessed. I'm not worried, but the fact that I emailed them about it, sent a message on their twitter and haven't received a response is extremely pathetic. And the fact I had to go through my bank regarding ATS to tell them what happened was an extra waste of my time.

I also wanted to ask if I could use paper/pen to help me formulate my answers since its timed and you're being monitored via webcam. Plus they might accidentally flag you for "cheating" if your eyes wonder off anywhere but the screen. I guess this is their way to verify the integrity of the applicant.
RCMP ON APP
recom Dec 16 2019

machine4321
Rookie Member

Postby machine4321 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:34 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm
machine4321 wrote:
50below0 wrote:

Im waiting for my package. I'm also looking to see what is being assessed. I'm not worried, but the fact that I emailed them about it, sent a message on their twitter and haven't received a response is extremely pathetic. And the fact I had to go through my bank regarding ATS to tell them what happened was an extra waste of my time.

I also wanted to ask if I could use paper/pen to help me formulate my answers since its timed and you're being monitored via webcam. Plus they might accidentally flag you for "cheating" if your eyes wonder off anywhere but the screen. I guess this is their way to verify the integrity of the applicant.
Agreed, it seems a bit sloppy. I’m sure they are overwhelmed with questions right now. In saying that the info on the website wasn’t the easiest to decipher. My hope is when my package comes in it will give us some indication of what to expect for part B.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
machine4321 wrote:
50below0 wrote:

My understanding from the website about the use of the Webcam. It might used at the their discretion.

Trust me, if you are going to cheat, you are going to cheat.

Just like locks on people’s doors and such. Locks are only there to keep the honest people out. Locks do not stop the bad person.

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
machine4321 wrote:

My understanding from the website about the use of the Webcam. It might used at the their discretion.

Just like locks on people’s doors and such. Locks are only there to keep the honest people out. Locks do not stop the bad person.
You have to turn on your webcam and microphone.
RCMP ON APP
recom Dec 16 2019

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

My personal advice for people that have paid for the ATS and are awaiting to take it.

Wait closer to the date to see if they actually cancel it so you don’t have to pay the $50.00 to cancel.

Force the hand onto ATS.

If there is any issue I would contact the OPP is this testing is province wide

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:45 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Wingman19 wrote:

You have to turn on your webcam and microphone.
Really. That’s where the accommodation policy will kick in. Web cam and microphone cost money.