Police services and ATS

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
fleeingjam
Rookie Member

Re: Police services and ATS

Postby fleeingjam » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:08 pm

The auto reply from ATS

"Based on the information below, posted on the OACP website, please be advised that ATS is no longer performing Constable Selection System Testing:

"Please be advised that as of January 1, 2020 the new OACP Constable Selection System will come in to effect. Please check back in January 1, 2020 for information or please visit http://www.oacpcertificate.ca on January 1, 2020."

Please see the link below for your reference.

http://www.oacp.on.ca/programs-courses/ ... ion-system

Kind regards,

ATS Inc"

If you call their number they repeat the same message. Good luck guys, and happy New year.

FJ

nothof60
Rookie Member

Postby nothof60 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:22 pm

fleeingjam wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:08 pm
The auto reply from ATS

"Based on the information below, posted on the OACP website, please be advised that ATS is no longer performing Constable Selection System Testing:

"Please be advised that as of January 1, 2020 the new OACP Constable Selection System will come in to effect. Please check back in January 1, 2020 for information or please visit http://www.oacpcertificate.ca on January 1, 2020."

Kind regards,

ATS Inc"

If you call their number they repeat the same message. Good luck guys, and happy New year.

FJ
In short, OACP anticipated or knew the way this was going to go down. Hence the equivalency certificate. This all seems very greasy...

Campin16
Rookie Member

Postby Campin16 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:04 pm

nothof60 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:22 pm
fleeingjam wrote:
The auto reply from ATS

Kind regards,

ATS Inc"

FJ
In short, OACP anticipated or knew the way this was going to go down. Hence the equivalency certificate. This all seems very greasy...
What I don't get is for the transition period, why not allow those that started with ATS finish with ATS and only those new recruits that haven't scheduled anything yet use the new system?

Was ATS aware that this was going to happen or were they caught by surprise like most other people?
CBSA
Applied: July 2018
OTEE: October 20th 2018
OTEE Results: October 31st (pass 77%)
Interview: June 19th 2019
Interview Results: July 2nd (pass)

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Campin16 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:04 pm
nothof60 wrote:
fleeingjam wrote:
The auto reply from ATS

Kind regards,

ATS Inc"

FJ
What I don't get is for the transition period, why not allow those that started with ATS finish with ATS and only those new recruits that haven't scheduled anything yet use the new system?

Was ATS aware that this was going to happen or were they caught by surprise like most other people?
Because ATS is a scam hence why nobody has been applying to be a Police Officer.

ATS had no control but I believe they did know. I was told by a source a month ago about the switch but it wasn’t 100%. On if it was going to happen.

New system makes a lot more sense.
Correctional Officer, CO2

Campin16
Rookie Member

Postby Campin16 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:12 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:13 pm
Campin16 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:04 pm
nothof60 wrote:

Because ATS is a scam hence why nobody has been applying to be a Police Officer.

ATS had no control but I believe they did know. I was told by a source a month ago about the switch but it wasn’t 100%. On if it was going to happen.

New system makes a lot more sense.
Definitely felt like a bit of a cash grab, but if ATS is your barrier of entry for a job that can pay over 100k a year... Then maybe you're not the right person to be applying.

That being said, I know at least 3 people that have experssed interest in applying under this new system because they felt that the ATS was too hard and that they wouldn't pass and these are all people that have a college or university education... Where before I felt policing was mostly getting dedicated applicants, I'm not so sure that will be the case anymore under this new system?
CBSA

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Its not about the money. Most people that didnt want to go through ATS already had great salaries and satisfying jobs already. Think of people who were already peace officers outside of the ATS scope.

No, Its about the principle. I would not give money to some dishonest company. Its not in my nature. This didnt suit a lot of great potential applicants too.

Now all those competitive people are going to flood the police services recruitment inboxes.

nothof60
Rookie Member

Postby nothof60 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:42 pm

GloQc wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:45 pm
Its not about the money. Most people that didnt want to go through ATS already had great salaries and satisfying jobs already. Think of people who were already peace officers outside of the ATS scope.

No, Its about the principle. I would not give money to some dishonest company. Its not in my nature. This didnt suit a lot of great potential applicants too.

Now all those competitive people are going to flood the police services recruitment inboxes.

But paying $250 to company that nonone is familiar with, plus a minimum of $100 for vision and $100 for hearing is any better? Not to mention the whole process is only valid for a year instead of 3...

ATS had a monopoly, yes, but so will TNT. If you are not willing to devote some time and money towards a profession that you desire, then that is a problem imo.

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 pm

I don't know man. I wouldn't say that about all those OPP recruits in the last May, September and December class that waited for ATS requirement to drop. I'm sure they shown commitment and devotion in many many other ways. And believe me, the OPP is quite demanding regarding their new recruits, probably more so than any other agency in Ontario IMHO.

And by the looks of it the results of no longer asking for OACP seems pretty good as few other agencies are also no longer requiring it as of tomorrow.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:39 pm

GloQc wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 pm
I don't know man. I wouldn't say that about all those OPP recruits in the last May, September and December class that waited for ATS requirement to drop. I'm sure they shown commitment and devotion in many many other ways. And believe me, the OPP is quite demanding regarding their new recruits, probably more so than any other agency in Ontario IMHO.

And by the looks of it the results of no longer asking for OACP seems pretty good as few other agencies are also no longer requiring it as of tomorrow.
And the bottom line is ATS is gone, and you will see a lot more people applying.

Trust me, it makes a huge difference

Campin16
Rookie Member

Postby Campin16 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:55 am

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:39 pm
GloQc wrote:

And the bottom line is ATS is gone, and you will see a lot more people applying.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is the ATS is not that hard to pass. You just have to want to put the time in to study and prepare both physically and mentally and if that small hurdle was too much for you then I don't know if u want it enough...

I know any police force hiring will do their best to vet any applicants and I'm sure they'll get a lot more applying without ATS... But I guess the concern is they'll pass up quality applicants in an effort to attract or court applicants that are less serious and just want to keep there options open... If you know what I mean..
CBSA

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am

Campin16 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:55 am
Fonthill wrote:
GloQc wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say, is the ATS is not that hard to pass. You just have to want to put the time in to study and prepare both physically and mentally and if that small hurdle was too much for you then I don't know if u want it enough...

I know any police force hiring will do their best to vet any applicants and I'm sure they'll get a lot more applying without ATS... But I guess the concern is they'll pass up quality applicants in an effort to attract or court applicants that are less serious and just want to keep there options open... If you know what I mean..
I know of people that worked as radio host and was hired, so, I disagree with less serious person applying.

It’s all about life experience and what you offer as an individual

machine4321
Rookie Member

Postby machine4321 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:23 am

According to the FAQ on the site, this is no longer a pass fail but a way to give the police service some insight into the applicant. While I’m sure this will bring some questionable people out of the woodwork but it’s up to the service to decide if the applicant is a fit or not. It still seems like a bit of a cash grab but What can you do?

The new process seems to be a good way to make sure the applicant is healthy enough and has basic knowledge before a service invests time into an applicant.

Campin16
Rookie Member

Postby Campin16 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 am

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am
Campin16 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

I know of people that worked as radio host and was hired, so, I disagree with less serious person applying.

Was this radio host hired by the OPP and are you saying he would not be there today if ATS was still in effect when he applied? But I'm not saying a radio host doesn't want it less than some guy that took police foundations or criminology. My education is in computers and I might have been a little slow in coming around to it, but I took the ATS and honesty passing stage 1 felt good because I had to study and train for it, I didn't take it lightly. The PREP scared me and I wasn't fully confident with the PATI or WCT either.. It was a tiring day, but I got through all three... Then a week later I find out ATS is being tossed. It's what it is, not much I can do but try to adapt to this new process. But I do kinda feel like they're trying to lower the bar as far as entry and get more people to apply.

I know this girl and her dad wanted a career change so quit his banking job applied for the RCMP at 50 years old and got accepted. I remember she was so proud of him and showing me pictures of him in his uniform. This guy was only a small guy, but I thought I was awesome and so encouraging to see he made it! I imagine it's a combination of life experience as well as his experience in the banking sector that made him an asset RCMP couldn't pass up. In short, I do agree life experience is very important and that's why I'm not a fan of an over-emphasis on education over experience.
CBSA

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:42 am

Campin16 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 am
Fonthill wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am
Campin16 wrote:

Was this radio host hired by the OPP and are you saying he would not be there today if ATS was still in effect when he applied? But I'm not saying a radio host doesn't want it less than some guy that took police foundations or criminology. My education is in computers and I might have been a little slow in coming around to it, but I took the ATS and honesty passing stage 1 felt good because I had to study and train for it, I didn't take it lightly. The PREP scared me and I wasn't fully confident with the PATI or WCT either.. It was a tiring day, but I got through all three... Then a week later I find out ATS is being tossed. It's what it is, not much I can do but try to adapt to this new process. But I do kinda feel like they're trying to lower the bar as far as entry and get more people to apply.

I know this girl and her dad wanted a career change so quit his banking job applied for the RCMP at 50 years old and got accepted. I remember she was so proud of him and showing me pictures of him in his uniform. This guy was only a small guy, but I thought I was awesome and so encouraging to see he made it! I imagine it's a combination of life experience as well as his experience in the banking sector that made him an asset RCMP couldn't pass up. In short, I do agree life experience is very important and that's why I'm not a fan of an over-emphasis on education over experience.
Well, I gave some info out on here on Nov 14 for persons to hold off until the New Years about ATS being done

Wouldn’t say they are lowering the bar, just getting more people to apply that wouldn’t apply before for the scam of ATS and their rules. Why did you have to wait 6 months after you fail for ATS to re write ? Stupid rules like that and had to re do your fitness every 6 months I believe and pay. Scam. I believe in fitness but shouldn't make the person pay when they knew it takes more then 6 months to get hired. Should of been free.

I believe this test is more Geared to life experience and common sense from ATS book smart.

ajreid
Rookie Member

Postby ajreid » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:56 pm

I think many (most) have confused ATS with the CSS process and/or the Ministry.

The tests that were used as part of the CSS were determined by the Ministry and not ATS. This also includes the passing scores, feedback, and wait periods to re-test.

Now that the Ministry has backed out, the OACP is able to do what they want.