Police services and ATS

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Fonthill
Veteran Member

Re: Police services and ATS

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Correctional Officer, CO2

nothof60
Rookie Member

Postby nothof60 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:15 pm
50below0 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:39 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Did you receive the email they sent when you applied.

The testing isn’t pass or fail and your marks all depend if the police service you are applying to want to accept you.

Send them and email to get the best answer

It doesn't matter its not a pass or fail mark. They still going to see who scored the highest and who scored lowest and base their decision on that as well .
Yep, meaning they can take a low score or high. And if you scored a low mark and know somebody, the low score going to get in.

Love it. More discretion 2020-2021

But 2022 I believe you will need a degree or some type of education which is also good.
You are correct. As per the new Comprehensive Police Services Act, as of Jan 1 2021 the minimum education requirements for a police constable in Ontario will be a post secondary diploma or degree from a recognized school of applied arts.

Appointment of police officer
83 (1) No person shall be appointed as a police officer unless he or she,

(a) is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;

(b) is at least 18 years of age;

(c) is physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard to his or her own safety and the safety of members of the public;

(d) is of good character;

(e) has successfully completed,

(i) the training prescribed by the Minister, including techniques to de-escalate conflict situations and any other matters prescribed by the Minister, unless the person has been exempted from some or all of this training in accordance with the regulations made by the Minister,

(ii) the training approved by the Minister with respect to human rights and systemic racism, and

(iii) the training approved by the Minister that promotes recognition of and respect for,

(A) the diverse, multiracial and multicultural character of Ontario society, and

(B) the rights and cultures of First Nation, Inuit and Métis Peoples;

(f) meets one of the following conditions:

(i) he or she has,

(A) a university degree, or

(B) a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,

(ii) he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,

(iii) he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),

(iv) if additional criteria have been prescribed, he or she has a secondary school diploma and meets the additional criteria.

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 am

ATS just sent out Notes of Bankruptcy to anyone who paid for upcoming tests.

The notice tells to check with your credit card companies to settle a dispute.

I'm a bit sad for anyone who paid for tests in 2020...

On another note, seems a lot of special constables organizations arent asking for ATS or COR anymore...

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Wow. Making it mandatory to have Post Secondary is going to exclude a lot of great mature applicants with decades of life experience.

That is really sad.

My class had a lot of very good people that only had highschool with a lot of life and work experienced gained from decades in the workforce.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Wow. Making it mandatory to have Post Secondary is going to exclude a lot of great mature applicants with decades of life experience.

That is really sad.

My class had a lot of very good people that only had highschool with a lot of life and work experienced gained from decades in the workforce.
I totally agree

For corrections, I can tell you first hand, with people with education I seen coming in. I would never hire them, NEVER. And, wouldn’t trust them with a ten foot pole !

2020-2021 I believe you will see some good talent coming in as the police Dept (Employer) can accept a low mark from this new testing. There discretion on what mark they wanna use.

Now, nothing against a person with education, but if I seen a person spent 5-7 years in school with no work experience, it would raise red flags.

oxlemar
Rookie Member

Postby oxlemar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:10 pm

It's become more difficult to pursue post-secondary education without earning an income. That is unless you've got the financial support of family or can afford to not work while pursuing education.
NCR
App: 2019-07-18
Reinsert:2019-07-19
SP submitted: 2019-07-25
SP Reviewed: 2019-08-07
Suitability: 2019-08-07
RMAQ:2019-12-02
RFI:2019-12-05
BGI:2019-12-05
PEP: 2020-01-08
PEP Rec:2020-01-13
Medical: 2020-01-15
Psych:2020-01-17
Med Rec: 2020-01-23

nothof60
Rookie Member

Postby nothof60 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 pm

(iv) if additional criteria have been prescribed, he or she has a secondary school diploma and meets the additional criteria.

"Additional criteria." Still trying to interpret what this section actually means...

For instance, these minimum requirements are for a PC, and not a cadet. Technically speaking, as of 01Jan2021 you could be hired as a cadet and sent to OPC without having post secondary. Being sworn in after successful completion is of opc is a different story, or is it? Could this possibly fall under "additional criteria?" :?:

pjm3586
Rookie Member

Postby pjm3586 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:46 am

GloQc wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 am

On another note, seems a lot of special constables organizations arent asking for ATS or COR anymore...

Interesting, I didn't receive one. Has anyone else not received one or know why this would be? My testing date is 01/02/20...………….. :banghead:

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 pm

GloQc wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 am

With everyones full name and address in it, what the hell lol.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP sent: Dec 13 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
recom Dec 16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
App recom: Jan 11
PBQ: Feb 10
Suitability: Feb 26
RMAQ: Feb ???
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

royalwithcheese
Rookie Member

Postby royalwithcheese » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 pm
With everyones full name and address in it, what the hell lol.
I saw that :shock:

York
Rookie Member

Postby York » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 pm

I'm happy to see ATS is no longer in the picture, but the financial barrier to applying hasn't gone away. $250 to start your OACP process (valid for 1 year) and additional fees for your vision and hearing exam at separate clinics (~$200). Definitely still going to be spending a lot of money considering many people don't succeed in just one year. New process is just a little more convenient and provides more discretion to agencies.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:59 pm

York wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 pm
I'm happy to see ATS is no longer in the picture, but the financial barrier to applying hasn't gone away. $250 to start your OACP process (valid for 1 year) and additional fees for your vision and hearing exam at separate clinics (~$200). Definitely still going to be spending a lot of money considering many people don't succeed in just one year. New process is just a little more convenient and provides more discretion to agencies.
Interesting the $200 for the vision and hearing is on the applicant now.

The service covered that for me after an offer of employment was signed. Ironically when I went through as Auxiliary years (decade LOL) ago, which is an unpaid volunteer position, I was responsible for that myself.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 am

York wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 pm
I agree and about the price also.

But, you have more freedom to apply to every police force in Ontario now without having to spend extra money on the fitness part.

It appears background checks and file phase is 30 days now it has to be handed in. So, it’s going to be a lot faster and do believe 7-10 months to get hire now I believe

Also, if you look at Hamilton police website site. There process is fast and tells you. I believe if you had your application in before March. You will be in the June class. So that is fast turn around.

York
Rookie Member

Postby York » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 am

Mind if I ask which service is compensating vision/hearing after offer? TPS had a very temporary period of time where internal applicants were being compensated for testing fees if they got an offer, but now that's completely gone.

mlangiano
Rookie Member

Postby mlangiano » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:22 am

Does anyone know if you can use a scrap piece of paper to complete math equations for the new General Mental Ability Assessment? The instructions say "You are not to take photos or write-down any testing questions for yourself, on behalf of another person, or for financial gain. You may be held civilly liable by the third-party test administrators." I contacted OACP but haven't got a response yet.