Plantar fascia - possibly

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
stribor45
Rookie Member

Plantar fascia - possibly

Postby stribor45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 am

I don't usually like to self diagnose but i am experiencing ache/pain in my heel and along sole of my foot. This just started happening in the last week or so. Just before I am about to run I need to do extra warm up and few minutes of walk/run in order to "get going" and it goes away. Comes back after few hours after workout.

Anyone experienced this and how did you go about alleviate it.

Thanks

hallmarker
Rookie Member

Re: Plantar fascia - possibly

Postby hallmarker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 am

Have you done any rolling? Grab a tennis ball, lacrosse ball, or even those actual branded stretching balls. I've also heard of using rolling pins or water bottles.
RCMP ON Applicant
Online App - Nov 2017
QA Review - Jan 2018
RMAQ Interview - Feb 2018
PEP - April 2018
PEP Approval - June 2018
BGI - June 2018
Med - July 2018
Psych - Aug 2018
Psych 2 - Scheduled Mar 2019
withdrawing :wave:

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 am

hallmarker wrote:Have you done any rolling? Grab a tennis ball, lacrosse ball, or even those actual branded stretching balls. I've also heard of using rolling pins or water bottles.

Yes I had :) didn't make any difference

dham
Rookie Member

Postby dham » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am

I had it, couldn't plant my heel in the morning. If you have benefits for physio, look into it, it works wonders. Compression socks and calf stretches can go a long way.

Craigeritz
Rookie Member

Postby Craigeritz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 am

+1 on water bottles and lacrosse ball. I toss them in the freezer... real nice for rolling the calves too
AB
PRK surgery: 8/11/2016
Online Application: 11/17/2016
SP: 1/13//2017
RMAQ: 8/28/2017
PEP: 1/09/2018
PEP review call: 1/17/18
PEP rec: 3/13/18
PSYCH: 3/19/18
MED: 4/6/18-- 6/11/18
BGI: 3/19/18
FSR: 4/9/2018- 6/4/18
SC: 6/4/18- --8/8/2018
Troop 16

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 am

dham wrote:I had it, couldn't plant my heel in the morning. If you have benefits for physio, look into it, it works wonders. Compression socks and calf stretches can go a long way.

what did you do on physio? just stretches? How long did this last for you?

dham
Rookie Member

Postby dham » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 am

stribor45 wrote:
dham wrote:I had it, couldn't plant my heel in the morning. If you have benefits for physio, look into it, it works wonders. Compression socks and calf stretches can go a long way.

what did you do on physio? just stretches? How long did this last for you?

Icing, ultrasound (my PF was due to a heel spur) and vibrating pads. Physio helped quite a bit. You may want to consider seeing your doctor about an ultrasound as PF can be caused by something like a heel spur.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:16 pm

I use PF insoles, they work very well for me! Super cheap too. dr Scholls i believe.

I’ve tried everything including custom orthotics! Even cortisone shots in my foot, hurt like hell, worked for a few days no more! Off the shelf inserts!

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Loadie wrote:I use PF insoles, they work very well for me! Super cheap too. dr Scholls i believe.

I’ve tried everything including custom orthotics! Even cortisone shots in my foot, hurt like hell, worked for a few days no more! Off the shelf inserts!

so just using inserts helped?

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes, I tried everything, literally everything and the only thing that actually worked is the Dr Scholls PF inserts.

stribor45 wrote:
Loadie wrote:I use PF insoles, they work very well for me! Super cheap too. dr Scholls i believe.

so just using inserts helped?

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am

I got Dr Scholls PF inserts and it definitly helps. My feet both are still sore and they feel like i run 100 miles at once but definitely feels better when i walk and run

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:08 pm

stribor45 wrote:I got Dr Scholls PF inserts and it definitly helps. My feet both are still sore and they feel like i run 100 miles at once but definitely feels better when i walk and run

That’ll never go away! At least mine hasn’t! My PF is also pretty bad.

cco
Rookie Member

Postby cco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 am

Hello,

I sent a PM to the original poster, but since there are a few more on here struggling with this i thought i would do this publicly.

About 4 years ago i suffered from this. It was in both heels, bad enough that every morning i would end up hobbling around for the first 10 or so minutes barely able to put pressure on them. For me, it was from years of punishment on a sprung floor. BUT i dont have any issue at all now. 3 reasons...one sounds insane but it worked.

1-acupuncture - this SUCKS but it really does work. Getting the blood flowing to this area that in general is very low in blood flow helps it heal. I almost kicked my therapist in the face a couple of times, but he is an understanding person luckily.

2-frozen water bottle rolling at night before bed. Painful but necessary.

3-ok stay with me on this....uggs. Not because of the style, but because of the sheepskin. My therapist said try wearing no socks and wear them all the time, in the house, out of the house. I did this...and i haven't had issues in years. He said getting some sheepskin to line the insides of shoes that had a flatter surface. The sheepskin has healing properties even he was sceptical of. I sure am a believer. It took about 3 months of these three and it was gone.

good luck, it is some of the most distracting pain.
K div

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 am

Loadie wrote:
stribor45 wrote:I got Dr Scholls PF inserts and it definitly helps. My feet both are still sore and they feel like i run 100 miles at once but definitely feels better when i walk and run

That’ll never go away! At least mine hasn’t! My PF is also pretty bad.

I know. Especially at my age. ):

s4weng
Rookie Member

Postby s4weng » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Hey guys,

Since we're all sharing, I figured I'd give my two cents. Most of my life I've had flat feet, and I've had tons of knee, shins, and feet (PF, Achilles tendinitis, easily inflamed toe joints) for a lot of my life when I first got into fitness.

What helped me was simply slowly making my feet and arches stronger. I stretch the joints in my feet regularly (from toes to ankles) as well as strengthen them (using holds, arch building exercises I believe you can find online), and I practiced running naturally (i.e. see don't run landing on heels/wearing running shoes with huge cushioning).

After a few months (and then a year or two) of this transition, my feet and joints are fairly strong, and I don't have a lot of joint problems anymore. No PF, no tendinitis, good muscle loading while running and lifting. Give it a shot - it's not as quick as finding an insole or something that seems quick and easy, but it works because you undo a lot of the damage and give your feet and body the strength base it needs to run or exercise as often as some people do.