The future as a police officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ssingh
Rookie Member

The future as a police officer

Postby ssingh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:59 am

Hello everyone,

I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered previously, I have read many pages but could not seem to find an answer. I have called/emailed recruiters but have received very vague answers so was wondering if I could get more clear cut answers from people who have been or going through the hiring process. I am 25 yo male with BSc and have been thinking about either a masters or a career change to becoming a police officer. One of the aspects of police career that scares me is reading some people applying continuously for 4-5 years only to be rejected at the last stage (Waterloo, Toronto, Guelph, Peel, York). I was wondering how true these statements are and what may have been the reason for many rejections, would it be something like they have a criminal record? Also, when I talked with the recruiters, they all say they are hiring but I have been reading forums and articles which say only 5-8 people get hired from a very large pool of applicants to replace the retiring officers. Moreover, many news articles have been claiming officers get paid too much (I don't believe) and with the lowering crime rates will lead to further policing budget constraints which could lead to layoffs. Basically, do police officers face layoffs, does the future seem like a stable career? Final question; when applying to masters program, the institutions give information like average GPA, #of research, etc, of the previously accepted students, I was wondering if there is anything like that for the recruits accepted in to the Ontario Police College?

Once again sorry if these type of questions don't belong here. Also, thanks for taking the time to read the long post and I appreciate your feed back.

Wheels28
Rookie Member

Re: The future as a police officer

Postby Wheels28 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Good afternoon ssingh, and welcome to the forum. I don't have information for most of your questions, but I can comment on a couple of questions. Just know that I too am an applicant and therefore the information that I'm stating is from my own experience and what research I have done throughout the process.

I've found that during the recruitment process or information sessions for many services, they are willing to give examples of how many officers they have been taking in recent or upcoming intakes, and compare that to how many applications they receive. These stats do demonstrate that the ratio of applicants to available positions is very high and therefore very competitive. Hence why some people spend years of applying before they get hired. Patience and perseverance will help as an applicant.

I do not think that there is publicly available information regarding the experience, education levels, etc of previously accepted applicants for OPC. My understanding is that each service applies for X number of seats for each intake, and then their own recruitment process decides who they will be hiring and filling those seats with. My advice would be not to worry about comparing yourself to other applicants, but focusing on being the most competitive applicant you possibly can be. Strive for continuous improvement and over time you should find yourself reflecting on how much you've grown as an individual over the years.

I don't feel like I have any insight to your other questions, so I'll leave it at that. Best wishes to you in whatever you choose to pursue.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:38 pm

ssingh wrote:Hello everyone,

I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered previously, I have read many pages but could not seem to find an answer. I have called/emailed recruiters but have received very vague answers so was wondering if I could get more clear cut answers from people who have been or going through the hiring process. I am 25 yo male with BSc and have been thinking about either a masters or a career change to becoming a police officer. One of the aspects of police career that scares me is reading some people applying continuously for 4-5 years only to be rejected at the last stage (Waterloo, Toronto, Guelph, Peel, York). I was wondering how true these statements are and what may have been the reason for many rejections, would it be something like they have a criminal record? Also, when I talked with the recruiters, they all say they are hiring but I have been reading forums and articles which say only 5-8 people get hired from a very large pool of applicants to replace the retiring officers. Moreover, many news articles have been claiming officers get paid too much (I don't believe) and with the lowering crime rates will lead to further policing budget constraints which could lead to layoffs. Basically, do police officers face layoffs, does the future seem like a stable career? Final question; when applying to masters program, the institutions give information like average GPA, #of research, etc, of the previously accepted students, I was wondering if there is anything like that for the recruits accepted in to the Ontario Police College?

Once again sorry if these type of questions don't belong here. Also, thanks for taking the time to read the long post and I appreciate your feed back.

Most people never get in at all. Just some food for thought. If the thought of failing for 5 years in interviews puts you off, this probably isn't the job for you.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pm

In 2016 when I applied as a Sheriff. 400 applicants with me for 20 PART TIME positions. I'm working on my second round now. I applied to CSC in Feb, my exam had approx 50 other people. Still waiting for those results over a month later.. so it's not a speedy process no matter where you go.
Be prepared to eat some humble pie. If you're not ready for rejection, probably not a good idea to apply. Also, if you're not willing to move out of your home province, could have small choices. I can't apply outside of BC. I am getting into some excellent training opportunities with SAR, so I am not ready to relocate unless it's near a base.

Good luck!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:08 pm

noanykey wrote:In 2016 when I applied as a Sheriff. 400 applicants with me for 20 PART TIME positions. I'm working on my second round now. I applied to CSC in Feb, my exam had approx 50 other people. Still waiting for those results over a month later.. so it's not a speedy process no matter where you go.
Be prepared to eat some humble pie. If you're not ready for rejection, probably not a good idea to apply. Also, if you're not willing to move out of your home province, could have small choices. I can't apply outside of BC. I am getting into some excellent training opportunities with SAR, so I am not ready to relocate unless it's near a base.

Good luck!

To speak further to this, I know guys who've been applying for 8 years and are still struggling. I know guys who've applied once and flew through the process. And yes, that includes 'white male with 1 language' applicants. I applied for several years before getting tired of hoping and applying out of province on a lark. I flew through their rigorous process and got the job within 6 months of applying. Everyone has a different journey, there are no guarantees no matter what your skill set, experience and history is.

Complaining about the chances of waiting to be hired is silly when so many are sweating every moment of every day through their 1st, 3rd, 100th attempt to get the job.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:17 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:
noanykey wrote:In 2016 when I applied as a Sheriff. 400 applicants with me for 20 PART TIME positions. I'm working on my second round now. I applied to CSC in Feb, my exam had approx 50 other people. Still waiting for those results over a month later.. so it's not a speedy process no matter where you go.

Good luck!

To speak further to this, I know guys who've been applying for 8 years and are still struggling. I know guys who've applied once and flew through the process. And yes, that includes 'white male with 1 language' applicants. I applied for several years before getting tired of hoping and applying out of province on a lark. I flew through their rigorous process and got the job within 6 months of applying. Everyone has a different journey, there are no guarantees no matter what your skill set, experience and history is.

Complaining about the chances of waiting to be hired is silly when so many are sweating every moment of every day through their 1st, 3rd, 100th attempt to get the job.

8 years? Wow.

Also my experience was the opposite lol. I applied everywhere BUT my home service believing my chances were next to none here. Sure enough, on attempt #2 here I got it. You need to be open minded about where you are willing to work.

ssingh
Rookie Member

Postby ssingh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:29 pm

I am sorry if I sounded like I was complaining. I was just merely trying to understand the level of competition; like what kind of credentials are people applying with? What I meant by asking about the long process and the repeated rejections was if those rejections are due to some red flag in the application. Like do some people have something on their record, or are they unable to have a good interview, or is it simply because other applicants have more credentials to their name? I talked to a recruiter today and he told me that they are only hiring to replace the retiring officers, so I guess its probably safe to assume many many application for few positions. From soo many applications I can understand how some candidates with good potential may have been overlooked. I guess I gotta apply to see where I stand, hopefully it goes well!

charlie2
Rookie Member

Postby charlie2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

This is just my perspective and opinion.It’s a pure numbers game. In Ontario especially, there are so many applicants fighting for the few positions that are available. And if you’re unwilling to relocate, it’s even harder.

I personally don’t like the way the Ontario application process is and I find it has a lot to do with who you know, rather then what you know. Again, that’s just my opinion. I regrettably took police foundations in college and out of all the students, 1 white male was hired soon afterward (his father and grandfather were both police officers). I also know another white male that had applied to an Ontario police service and was hired in just over 3 months (his parent worked for the same service).

As far as policing being a stable career? Absolutely it is. Crime rates may be going down in some places, but I’d say that’s because of the boots on the ground doing the job.

charlie2
Rookie Member

Postby charlie2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 pm

ssingh wrote:I am sorry if I sounded like I was complaining. I was just merely trying to understand the level of competition; like what kind of credentials are people applying with? What I meant by asking about the long process and the repeated rejections was if those rejections are due to some red flag in the application. Like do some people have something on their record, or are they unable to have a good interview, or is it simply because other applicants have more credentials to their name? I talked to a recruiter today and he told me that they are only hiring to replace the retiring officers, so I guess its probably safe to assume many many application for few positions. From soo many applications I can understand how some candidates with good potential may have been overlooked. I guess I gotta apply to see where I stand, hopefully it goes well!

Policing is definitely a competitive application process. If someone has a record they won’t even make it passed the intial stages though. But someone being rejected can be due to multiple different reasons, some out of the applicants control.

I also wouldn’t consider someone right out of university with a masters degree, or someone with all these resume padding credentials necessarily a better applicant then someone with grade 12 and life experience.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:51 pm

charlie2 wrote:This is just my perspective and opinion.It’s a pure numbers game. In Ontario especially, there are so many applicants fighting for the few positions that are available. And if you’re unwilling to relocate, it’s even harder.

I personally don’t like the way the Ontario application process is and I find it has a lot to do with who you know, rather then what you know. Again, that’s just my opinion. I regrettably took police foundations in college and out of all the students, 1 white male was hired soon afterward (his father and grandfather were both police officers). I also know another white male that had applied to an Ontario police service and was hired in just over 3 months (his parent worked for the same service).

As far as policing being a stable career? Absolutely it is. Crime rates may be going down in some places, but I’d say that’s because of the boots on the ground doing the job.

I have to tell you, while that's your opinion in terms of "who you know vs what you know", that is absolutely false. The vast majority of us were/are people who had no family in policing and/or didn't know anyone in the services.

With that being said, does nepotism happen? Absolutely.

That RARELY happens though. At the end of the day, the regular, everyday folks that walk through the doors are the ones whom get hired more often than not and 95% of the time, they are stellar.
Last edited by Slovak4188 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlie2
Rookie Member

Postby charlie2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
charlie2 wrote:This is just my perspective and opinion.It’s a pure numbers game. In Ontario especially, there are so many applicants fighting for the few positions that are available. And if you’re unwilling to relocate, it’s even harder.

I have to tell you, while that's your opinion in terms of "who you know vs what you know", that is absolutely false. The vast majority of us were/are people who had no family in policing and/or didn't know anyone in the services.

With that being said, does nepotism happen? Absolutely. We just recently had an absolute nightmare of a case where someone was hired through nepotism and when they got out there, they were absolutely lost and a danger to everyone. There were a few people that were hired within WEEKS and are dead-weight out there. It happens.

That RARELY happens though. At the end of the day, the regular, everyday folks that walk through the doors are the ones whom get hired more often than not and 95% of the time, they are stellar.

That’s why I’ didn’t say it was a fact. It’s just my opinion and what I have seen. It is common in any job/career

Also, I’m not saying these members aren’t stellar. I’m just saying it clearly didn’t hurt them having family on the inside to help their application along

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 am

charlie2 wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

With that being said, does nepotism happen? Absolutely. We just recently had an absolute nightmare of a case where someone was hired through nepotism and when they got out there, they were absolutely lost and a danger to everyone. There were a few people that were hired within WEEKS and are dead-weight out there. It happens.

That’s why I’ didn’t say it was a fact. It’s just my opinion and what I have seen. It is common in any job/career

Also, I’m not saying these members aren’t stellar. I’m just saying it clearly didn’t hurt them having family on the inside to help their application along

I hear what you're saying, however, from what it sounded like in your post you are overselling how often this happens.

Your opinion is valid, with that being said, I'd be careful saying that here because you may one day you decide to try and return to Ontario and a lot of the recruiters that browse this site are from the Ontario services.

Stark

Postby Stark » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm

charlie2 wrote:
ssingh wrote:I am sorry if I sounded like I was complaining. I was just merely trying to understand the level of competition; like what kind of credentials are people applying with? What I meant by asking about the long process and the repeated rejections was if those rejections are due to some red flag in the application. Like do some people have something on their record, or are they unable to have a good interview, or is it simply because other applicants have more credentials to their name? I talked to a recruiter today and he told me that they are only hiring to replace the retiring officers, so I guess its probably safe to assume many many application for few positions. From soo many applications I can understand how some candidates with good potential may have been overlooked. I guess I gotta apply to see where I stand, hopefully it goes well!

Policing is definitely a competitive application process. If someone has a record they won’t even make it passed the intial stages though. But someone being rejected can be due to multiple different reasons, some out of the applicants control.

I also wouldn’t consider someone right out of university with a masters degree, or someone with all these resume padding credentials necessarily a better applicant then someone with grade 12 and life experience.

It really depends. I personally had more than a masters degree and I'm sure my education played a role in me getting hired. Those who've done a lot of schooling know that you can get a lot of life experience going down that road as well. It doesn't mean that you're a better applicant than the applicant with grade 12 and unique life experiences, but it's certainly useful and those of us that are cops understand how it helps you in your career as well.

charlie2
Rookie Member

Postby charlie2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 pm

It really depends. I personally had more than a masters degree and I'm sure my education played a role in me getting hired. Those who've done a lot of schooling know that you can get a lot of life experience going down that road as well. It doesn't mean that you're a better applicant than the applicant with grade 12 and unique life experiences, but it's certainly useful and those of us that are cops understand how it helps you in your career as well.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying education is a bad thing. All I was saying is that people shouldn’t think that just because they are well educated that it’ll necessarily make them a better applicant then someone with minimum education but unique life experience.

But it also depends on what your end goal is in the policing word. Some people get into it to climb the ranks to the highest they can. Which is where I can definitely see it would be beneficial to have a higher education.

There’s just no “be-all-end-all” formula to becoming a police officer. Which is why it’s such an interesting career. You get different people from all walks of life and education

Stark

Postby Stark » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 am

charlie2 wrote:

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying education is a bad thing. All I was saying is that people shouldn’t think that just because they are well educated that it’ll necessarily make them a better applicant then someone with minimum education but unique life experience.

But it also depends on what your end goal is in the policing word. Some people get into it to climb the ranks to the highest they can. Which is where I can definitely see it would be beneficial to have a higher education.

There’s just no “be-all-end-all” formula to becoming a police officer. Which is why it’s such an interesting career. You get different people from all walks of life and education

Absolutely.