Improve my resume

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Improve my resume

Postby mack_silent » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 pm

OhNoFiveOh wrote:Thanks for answering my question mack_silent. Yes I am.

Stellar first 2 posts.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:22 am

Prove it.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 am

allbrancereal wrote:

Prove it.

He claims he's OPP. I have my doubts
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
allbrancereal wrote:

Prove it.

He claims he's OPP. I have my doubts

And, given your attitude, we ALL hope you remain outside the fence, not even in the bleachers, let alone on the bench.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:56 pm

mack_silent wrote:

Stellar first 2 posts.

Lol you gave sound, helpful and thoughtful advice. I don't understand where he was going with this nonsense...

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:Lol you gave sound, helpful and thoughtful advice. I don't understand where he was going with this nonsense...

Thank you, I appreciate it
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

mack_silent wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:Lol you gave sound, helpful and thoughtful advice. I don't understand where he was going with this nonsense...

I assume the member didn't like reading posts where a non police officer writes a post trying to portray that he is actually a cop.
I completely agree with him.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:41 am

John014 wrote:
mack_silent wrote:

I assume the member didn't like reading posts where a non police officer writes a post trying to portray that he is actually a cop.
I completely agree with him.

Perhaps, but then he went and did the same thing lol.

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:43 pm

According to OhNoFiveOh's profile, he is a registered member of the Police Officers Only group. Maybe someone can shed some light on this but doesn't that mean he has been officially verified as an LEO on this site?

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 am

MasterPlanMan wrote:According to OhNoFiveOh's profile, he is a registered member of the Police Officers Only group. Maybe someone can shed some light on this but doesn't that mean he has been officially verified as an LEO on this site?

He probably is then.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:35 am

Slovak4188 wrote:Perhaps, but then he went and did the same thing lol.

So you have knowledge that he is not a RM?
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Stark

Postby Stark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Most of Mack's advice was on point and he's correct that there's no magic formula to getting hired, but the image with the Yelp 3 out of 5 stars with a blurb saying needs more volunteering doesn't come across very well, particularly coming from someone who isn't actually a cop. It would be like me critiquing someone's medical school application despite not being a doctor or having successfully entered medical school.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:48 pm

Stark wrote:Most of Mack's advice was on point and he's correct that there's no magic formula to getting hired, but the image with the Yelp 3 out of 5 stars with a blurb saying needs more volunteering doesn't come across very well, particularly coming from someone who isn't actually a cop. It would be like me critiquing someone's medical school application despite not being a doctor or having successfully entered medical school.

Agreed. I find Mack is usually on point though.

Even if you’re a brand new cop, it’s hard to say what it takes. Someone with a few years on who has seen few recruits go through the system/trained them would be the best person to offer that advice.

OttawaStef
Rookie Member

Postby OttawaStef » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

So, i'm not applying yet as i'm trying to finish up my BSs at uOttawa before applying. But i have an idea of what my resume will look like in about 2 years, when i intend to apply. (OPS, OPP and TPS are my main ones. And i'm not against going out-of-province either.)

So in 1-2 years, my resume will most likely look like this:
-3-4 Years with PRes (Primary Reserve) (Infantry Officer) depending on when i apply.
- Around 4 years of volunteering with different organizations. Those being mostly with my Church group, school food bank, though not on a daily basis as my studies and sports take up a lot of my time. I also coach with my former HS football team and at a football club situated within an "at-risk" community.
-The only jobs i've held are with the reserves and working at my brothers's company back in Romania (Sales/Customer service experience).
-CPR "C" and Standard First Aid certified.
-Spent around 6 years in Cadets too. (Might help, probably doesn't, idk that's why i'm asking you all.)
-Fluent in 4 Languages: English, French, Italian and i am a Romanian Native speaker. Whilst i also am able to understand and partially converse in German.
-Would be 22-23 Years old, depending on when i apply.

Fitness wise, i've been playing football my whole life and still am, i try my best to work out once a day and i run 6km in the morning and in the evening most days. I think i'm okay there, though it's not up to me to judge.

Will the fact that i'm from a family heavily involved and experienced in LE and the military help as well? Also, what would i need to improve to be more competitive.

Edit: I also know quite a few OPS officers, so how big of a part does networking play in the application/hiring process?

Thank you in advance,
-Aspiring LEO.