Improve my resume

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
noturavgjoe
Rookie Member

Improve my resume

Postby noturavgjoe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 pm

- 22 y/o Ontario Canadian citizen
- 3 years and counting work experience as a Provincial Offences Officer
- Diploma in Police Foundation(pursuing a degree in crim)
- 1+ year volunteering at a local food bank
- Fluent in another language besides English
- CPR and First aid trained

My dream is to be a constable in my home province of Ontario.

If you were me what would you recommend I do to add more to my resume so I can be as competitive as possible? Cheers.

EDIT: I live in Toronto

Stark

Re: Improve my resume

Postby Stark » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 pm

I see so many applicants asking the same question about what to add to their resume to make themselves more competitive, however, there isn't really an answer to that. Police recruiters see thousands of applications and they can see right through the ones trying to pad their resumes. You already seem to have a lot of good things going for you. My advice would be to finish school and get that degree as a police foundations diploma means nothing. Get involved in the community and volunteer for a cause or with an organization that you're passionate about and not just what you think will look good.

At the end of the day, every force is looking for applicants with life experience and you can get that from school, hobbies/sports, work, travel, volunteering etc etc.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:55 am

Do whatever. Apply to wherever. Live your life. See what happens. Stay calm.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:13 am

noturavgjoe wrote:- 22 y/o Ontario Canadian citizen

If you were me what would you recommend I do to add more to my resume so I can be as competitive as possible? Cheers.

From a municipal perspective and having worked with recruiters/knowing some recruiters very well, I can tell you (and don't take this the wrong way) that your education currently isn't noteworthy, your volunteering stinks and your age will definitely work against you ATM. Also your other language may or may not be helpful depending on what it is. If you are fluent in Samoan but live in Brampton, you aren't really going to get any points for that lol.

With that being said, you are on the right track. Don't get discouraged if you don't get in right off the hop. If you're lucky and you do, count your lucky stars.
Last edited by Slovak4188 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

subbie
Rookie Member

Postby subbie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am

As a conversation piece and just to compare/show the reality of how difficult and competitive it is to get hired in southern Ontario

30 yr old - married one child - I feel over the last couple years I can say I've got some life experience
5 yrs security related work. 2.5 in management both private security and provincially owned properties - I work in security management now
Before security I worked in sales and financing for years and before that worked in the metal/steel industry
2 plus years working for a municipality as a Municipal law Enforcement Officer doing By-Law work, still work part time (2 jobs)
5 yrs volunteering with St John Ambulance - 2.5yrs as the branch Deputy Chief in charge of operational support and logistics
Emergency Medical Responder trained/certified
1 year Auxiliary Police service - Was awarded class valedictorian and best recruit when training concluded
Police Foundations Diploma and in the last 4 years since graduating from that I've continued my education every year and have completed 29 post secondary certificate courses (some university) and taken various training seminars etc through my police service offerings. I still have plans to go to university. Just saving up so I am not carrying a huge bank loan
I sit on the diversity council for my police service as the only auxiliary member
I can sign a bit (sign language). trying to learn and become proficient as my wife has family members that are deaf and I am tired of being left out of the conversation

My wife would love for me to chill out but she has been working as a paramedic for years and gets the grind to get hired. Will this all pay off... I don't know. I keep applying. Its difficult and you need to keep at it because they will never tell you what it is your lacking or why they "gonged" you. Trust me I would love to know what the key to the door is for getting on. Its taken me 5 years since I started pursuing the career to get to where I am and I keep adding to my resume all the time.

Do not stop enjoying life either. I was single living at home when I started down this path and now I'm married with a child. blows my mind but things take time and you need to be patient. I wanted to make sure the career was for me and seeing the reality of whats going on by being a Aux. member and riding out for 12 hours/being around detachment has been helpful as well. I feel I am pursuing the career for the right reasons because I'm genuinely passionate about it and want to make an impact and not because the pay, or a fire arm, or the thought of car chases etc, these are common things I hear from people when I participate as an auxiliary speaking about the program at recruiting drives from people who are pursuing a policing career. Someone asked me recently after a P.C info session if they get snow days... not kidding.

Keep adding and keep applying/pursuing. Eventually it will all come together.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm

subbie wrote:As a conversation piece and just to compare/show the reality of how difficult and competitive it is to get hired in southern Ontario

30 yr old - married one child - I feel over the last couple years I can say I've got some life experience
5 yrs security related work. 2.5 in management both private security and provincially owned properties - I work in security management now
Before security I worked in sales and financing for years and before that worked in the metal/steel industry
2 plus years working for a municipality as a Municipal law Enforcement Officer doing By-Law work, still work part time (2 jobs)
5 yrs volunteering with St John Ambulance - 2.5yrs as the branch Deputy Chief in charge of operational support and logistics
Emergency Medical Responder trained/certified
1 year Auxiliary Police service - Was awarded class valedictorian and best recruit when training concluded
Police Foundations Diploma and in the last 4 years since graduating from that I've continued my education every year and have completed 29 post secondary certificate courses (some university) and taken various training seminars etc through my police service offerings. I still have plans to go to university. Just saving up so I am not carrying a huge bank loan
I sit on the diversity council for my police service as the only auxiliary member
I can sign a bit (sign language). trying to learn and become proficient as my wife has family members that are deaf and I am tired of being left out of the conversation

My wife would love for me to chill out but she has been working as a paramedic for years and gets the grind to get hired. Will this all pay off... I don't know. I keep applying. Its difficult and you need to keep at it because they will never tell you what it is your lacking or why they "gonged" you. Trust me I would love to know what the key to the door is for getting on. Its taken me 5 years since I started pursuing the career to get to where I am and I keep adding to my resume all the time.

Do not stop enjoying life either. I was single living at home when I started down this path and now I'm married with a child. blows my mind but things take time and you need to be patient. I wanted to make sure the career was for me and seeing the reality of whats going on by being a Aux. member and riding out for 12 hours/being around detachment has been helpful as well. I feel I am pursuing the career for the right reasons because I'm genuinely passionate about it and want to make an impact and not because the pay, or a fire arm, or the thought of car chases etc, these are common things I hear from people when I participate as an auxiliary speaking about the program at recruiting drives from people who are pursuing a policing career. Someone asked me recently after a P.C info session if they get snow days... not kidding.

Keep adding and keep applying/pursuing. Eventually it will all come together.

I am really rooting for you. Took me 6 years to get on. Hopefully year 6 will be your lucky year too

Also, for the OP, these are the people you are competing against when you apply. Just food for thought.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 am

Just to piggyback off on what Subbie posted:

- 28 yrs old – Soon to be married (September) and 2 kids
- 6 yrs Security experience – Both in with municipal and private companies – last 2 yrs was a Security Shift Supervisor at local Hospital
- Currently I’m a Special Constable serving North America’s largest social housing
- Been volunteering since 2007 – main focus has been at risk youth and vulnerable persons – been a little difficult since my kids were born, but I try to get out at least once a week
- Education: University Degree; College Diploma and College Certificate; among countless courses: ie: CPKN, headed two clubs will at college,
- Physical fitness is there, played football through city, high school and university; fitness 3 to 4 times a week; either gym, boxing or crossfit

Just to add some substance to my work/life experience, I remember when we had my daughter back in 2015. My soon-to-be wife and I just started off in our career paths. We didn’t have a penny to our name. I had to take on two jobs, one full time (at the hospital) and one part time (Government Security). I recall working 80 plus hour work weeks to make ends meet, working 12 hrs at the hospital and then going start to the other site for another 8 hours. To ensure we had enough money to rent and bills. At the time it sucked, because I missed out on the 1st year of my daughter’s life. I’m thankful for that experience because it shows how I can overcome adversity. I didn’t write that to get any sympathy or anything, but just as an example of a hurdle I have experienced throughout my pursuit.

That’s my background in a nutshell, I’ve been on the grind since 2015. Applied to multiple services, with some ups and a lot of downs. I’m very fortunate that my soon-to-be wife has been my rock through this on-going experience. But you play the game, I know where I want to serve, and those are the 3 services I will keep on applying to until I finally land my dream job. What I do know, I absolutely LOVE!! That being said, I know I will LOVE being a Police Officer.

There is no cookie cutter approach to what makes you more competitive then the next person. You just take a chance and apply, worst case is they say no. My suggestion to you, or anyone wanting to get into law enforcement, is to go to the agencies you want to work for and see if they offer Ride-alongs. A lot of people I speak with really have no idea what policing actually entails. You will see and deal with situations that will impact your professional and personal life. Back to what Subbie said, people are asking some silly questions. You want to become a first responder, you don’t have the option to stop and think about entering a dangerous situation. You just do it.

Again, just to reiterate on Subbie’s post. Just keep grinding, keep bettering yourself and keep applying! That’s what a lot of current Officers have done and look where they are, working their dream job.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:22 pm

We have all had our struggles. I’m sure everyone has a life story to tell. I have my own as well.

My mistake was thinking that my life story entitles me to getting hired quicker than others. It makes me better. It didn’t. I had a wake up call when I had my 5th rejection letter.

What made this ordeal easier for me was to stop thinking about it obsessively. I made my family my priority. I gave my all to my job and stopped talking about how this is just a stepping stone for me.

Applying is draining enough. Fill out those applications and continue on with your life. Don’t be that person that only wants to talk about how they cannot wait to be a police officer.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Contact a recruiter find out if the department wants you to apply, if they don't ask what you can do to better yourself for a future application.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 am

Or....

Assess yourself. If you lack insight into your own abilities and shortcomings, are you really ready to apply? Would a police service want to recruit someone who doesn't know themselves or how they might improve on their own?
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Ah91
Rookie Member

Postby Ah91 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:34 am

Thanks to those who posted their experiences and qualifications. I think it's interesting to see the varying backgrounds of police applicants. It also helps us all see where we stack up.

I'm currently going through the process with OPP Auxiliary. Passed the interview and just wrote the PATI/Psych last week (waiting on the results).

I'm currently 26 years old with some admin/clerical experience (2 years), parking enforcement experience (3 years), management/supervisory experience (1.5 years), and am currently a provincial correctional officer (9 months). I volunteered at the local parole office as well as for a student campus security service. I hold a B.A. degree in criminology and have completed some online courses (CPKN, community college). I speak a second language and keep relatively fit.

Best of luck to everyone!

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Needs more volunteering.
You're still young. You may get hired with the above... or you may get 5x more qualifications and not be hired.
There is no real magic formula for a resume / getting hired. Apply, try the process, if you don't pass, then come back stronger the 2nd time.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

OhNoFiveOh
Rookie Member

Postby OhNoFiveOh » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:15 pm

mack_silent wrote:

Needs more volunteering.
You're still young. You may get hired with the above... or you may get 5x more qualifications and not be hired.
There is no real magic formula for a resume / getting hired. Apply, try the process, if you don't pass, then come back stronger the 2nd time.

Are you a cop mack_silent?

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:07 pm

OhNoFiveOh wrote:
mack_silent wrote:

Needs more volunteering.

Are you a cop mack_silent?

Does that matter?

His analysis was correct. Are YOU an officer?

OhNoFiveOh
Rookie Member

Postby OhNoFiveOh » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for answering my question mack_silent. Yes I am.