The Blacklist - Does it Exist?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

The Blacklist - Does it Exist?

Postby OntarioNavy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm

I've been hearing/seeing some people worrying that they may be on a "blacklist" for policing. Is this a thing? If so..

How do you wind up on it?
Can you remove yourself with time?
Is it only for one service, or all?
Is it a database, or word of mouth?

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Re: The Blacklist - Does it Exist?

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 pm

OntarioNavy wrote:I've been hearing/seeing some people worrying that they may be on a "blacklist" for policing. Is this a thing? If so..

The best answer is. You will never know and I am sure nobody going to say on here.

But, common sense says , human rights legislation comes in play and the answer is, NO

Proteus
Rookie Member

Postby Proteus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 am

OntarioNavy wrote:I've been hearing/seeing some people worrying that they may be on a "blacklist" for policing. Is this a thing? If so..

Murder, sexual assault, impaired driving, etc.

That would defeat the purpose of a "blacklist."

Is it only for one service or all?

Yes.

Is it a database or word of mouth?

Database.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Well I can neither confirm nor deny. But you could always make a privacy act request. You can make a request for disclosure online for a federal agency. I takes like two minutes and I did it just out of curiosity to only find out how boring I am.

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Inspir wrote:Well I can neither confirm nor deny. But you could always make a privacy act request. You can make a request for disclosure online for a federal agency. I takes like two minutes and I did it just out of curiosity to only find out how boring I am.

Wouldn't agencies look negatively on you if you did that and tried to apply in the future?

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:56 pm

I've heard that wearing a tin foil hat to the interview will circumvent them detecting that you are on "the list".
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:09 pm

OntarioNavy wrote:
Inspir wrote:Well I can neither confirm nor deny. But you could always make a privacy act request. You can make a request for disclosure online for a federal agency. I takes like two minutes and I did it just out of curiosity to only find out how boring I am.

Wouldn't agencies look negatively on you if you did that and tried to apply in the future?

I don't see why, it is within your right to ask for that information...
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I've heard that wearing a tin foil hat to the interview will circumvent them detecting that you are on "the list".

Oh really? I'll have to make sure I wear my baseball hat for my next interview then!

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm

"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Be stealthy my friend

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... f-headwear

Just don't wear it during a thunderstorm.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 am

Of course it doesn't! Now, if you could just look this way a moment - pardon me while I put my sunglasses on.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:43 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:Of course it doesn't! Now, if you could just look this way a moment - pardon me while I put my sunglasses on.

Lol! If one DID Pete, how do you think someone may end up on it? failing a BGI? Untruthfulness? Bad reference? Debt? Not being 6'2"?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am

OntarioNavy wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:Of course it doesn't! Now, if you could just look this way a moment - pardon me while I put my sunglasses on.

Lol! If one DID Pete, how do you think someone may end up on it? failing a BGI? Untruthfulness? Bad reference? Debt? Not being 6'2"?

If anyone is REALLY worried about being on a black list, they probably DESERVE to be on one.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:38 am

Haha fair enough, thank you.
Last edited by OntarioNavy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 am

Starting two threads on exactly the same topic is not going to endear yourself to either the recruiters who read this forum or other forum members, ESPECIALLY when your question was already answered in your other thread.

There are some things you don't seem to be understanding, even though several people have tried to help you.
#1 - No police agency owes you a job even if you check all the boxes.
#2 - Recruiters don't owe you an explanation.

Recruiters can share information and if you are rejected at one agency, you need to disclose that, but an actual black list of failed applicants makes no sense. It is about as real as chemtrails.

Think about it. How would a black list work if it were to exist at all? Every agency has their own standards. Plus, how well is it working if several working police officers on this forum have already told you that they or their colleagues once failed a BGI and still got hired.

This was the best advice you will EVER receive on the topic. I suggest you read it again. Asking the same question over and over again is not going to change the answer.
Toonces wrote:I failed a background once. I still have no idea what about. I didnt contact anyone demanding answers, I didnt do a freedom of information act request, I just decided to improve on all aspects before applying again. I just celebrated my 10 years with another service and I've been truly happy and thankful it all worked out the way it did.

Live your life, look within yourself as to what you learned from your past mistakes or how you took responsibility for your past actions and find ways you can improve your interview skills. Unless they deferred you permanently, apply again in two years. If you are serious enough about the job, you will be serious enough about living your life and trying again.