Removed From Process

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Removed From Process

Postby OntarioNavy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 pm

I was removed from my process at the BGI / Psych stage, do I still have a shot at policing?
Last edited by OntarioNavy on Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Failed Background - Do I Still Have Hope?

Postby John014 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:03 am

OntarioNavy wrote:Hey all,

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section as I can see that aggravates some of you - haha.

Around two months ago I was in the process for my municipal police service. Everything was going great. I passed the initial interview, senior officer selection panel, and moved on to the background stage. They began my background check on a Wednesday, and I recieiced an email on Thursday stating that I was no longer in the recruitment process. I am unsure exactly why I failed my background unfortunately. I wish I Knew so I could come to peace with their decision. I have a feeling that it could be an ex-girlfriend/mother combo seeking revenge (it was a rough break-up, and it happened a month before my background)

I have a few questions;
1. Let's call a spade a spade - do I still have hope when applying to other services?
2. Do services share results of backgrounds with eachother?

A bit about me... I just turned 23, I am a white male, graduated both college ( Police Foundations) as well as university (Major in Criminology), member of the military, and volunteer a boat load. I know that it's not my personality that's holding me back and I know I would be a great fit for the job, it's just someone else's negative opinion of me that unfortunately held some weight.

Thanks guys, lay it on me! To all current applicants I wish you the best of luck :)

EDIT: this was my first ever attempt. Just scared it may be the last!
No one on an online forum will be able to answer this for you.
Go speak with a recruiter.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

JBreeze
Rookie Member

Postby JBreeze » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 pm

I failed my background two years ago and just received a job offer last month so it's not the end of the road for you in you don't want it to be. Like the poster above said, speak to a recruiter.

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 pm

JBreeze wrote:I failed my background two years ago and just received a job offer last month so it's not the end of the road for you in you don't want it to be. Like the poster above said, speak to a recruiter.
Thanks man, glad to hear it's still a possibility. When you say "speak with a recruiter", are you guys suggesting I speak with the recruiter who failed me, or another services recruiter?

Thanks!

JBreeze
Rookie Member

Postby JBreeze » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 pm

OntarioNavy wrote:
JBreeze wrote:I failed my background two years ago and just received a job offer last month so it's not the end of the road for you in you don't want it to be. Like the poster above said, speak to a recruiter.
Thanks man, glad to hear it's still a possibility. When you say "speak with a recruiter", are you guys suggesting I speak with the recruiter who failed me, or another services recruiter?

Thanks!
A recruiter from the same service who denied you MIGHT BE WILLING to disclose why you were denied

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 am

OntarioNavy wrote:

Thanks!
I was saying talk to a recruiter with the next potential job application.

Go in, have a coffee and a chat, lay it all out and ask then what they think.

Without being the exact recruiter you speak to or the people in your process and knowing every single detail there is no way anyone can give you an answer, especially since the majority who would likely respond to you are A: not police officers or B: not recruiters.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 am

John014 wrote:
OntarioNavy wrote:

Thanks!
I was saying talk to a recruiter with the next potential job application.

Go in, have a coffee and a chat, lay it all out and ask then what they think.

Without being the exact recruiter you speak to or the people in your process and knowing every single detail there is no way anyone can give you an answer, especially since the majority who would likely respond to you are A: not police officers or B: not recruiters.
Thanks for the advice, I will most likely reach out to recruitiers and see what they think. It caught me off guard failing the BGI as I'm not a bad guy... guess it really doesn't take much!

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will most likely reach out to recruitiers and see what they think. It caught me off guard failing the BGI as I'm not a bad guy... guess it really doesn't take much!
Failing a background should never be a means to judge whether or not you're a bad person or a great one. (Granted there are some who are doozies and shouldn't ever be in an authority type position...I'm talking about the average applicant).

A failed background can be as simple as the BGI chatting to someone who you may have thought of as a friendly, but, in turn, wasn't. Or talking to a random supervisor who you've had conflict with because you may have argued with them regarding the fairness of a policy. (Trust me, this one happens.) It could be as simple as the BGI didn't believe you were a right fit at this time. It's truly luck of the draw.

Applicants who don't make it past the BGI need to stop making it out like failing a part of the process means they are less than, or not good people.....passing or not passing a police background isn't, for the most cases, an indication of your morality, your goodness, your value as a person. I know several people who've passed CBSA, MTO, S/C and P/C backgrounds, are serving, who aren't nice people. It just so happens, it all clicked in place for them. If it's meant to click for you, it will.

And most Recruiters won't discuss your failed application. Just how they roll.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm

devilwoman wrote:

Failing a background should never be a means to judge whether or not you're a bad person or a great one. (Granted there are some who are doozies and shouldn't ever be in an authority type position...I'm talking about the average applicant).

A failed background can be as simple as the BGI chatting to someone who you may have thought of as a friendly, but, in turn, wasn't. Or talking to a random supervisor who you've had conflict with because you may have argued with them regarding the fairness of a policy. (Trust me, this one happens.) It could be as simple as the BGI didn't believe you were a right fit at this time. It's truly luck of the draw.

Applicants who don't make it past the BGI need to stop making it out like failing a part of the process means they are less than, or not good people.....passing or not passing a police background isn't, for the most cases, an indication of your morality, your goodness, your value as a person. I know several people who've passed CBSA, MTO, S/C and P/C backgrounds, are serving, who aren't nice people. It just so happens, it all clicked in place for them. If it's meant to click for you, it will.

Thanks for taking the time to send that post. Honestly that's exactly what I needed. I've been pretty down on myself lately being quite discouraged. It sucks that it's out of your hands when it comes to the BG but that's the nature of the beast.

allbrancereal
Seasoned Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 pm

devilwoman wrote:

This!! :thumbsup:

Don’t let that eat you up my friend. I have been in the same boat and I have kept my nose very clean throughout my life. Sometimes you just don’t match up and it’s not something on your end. They have their set of criteria and we will never know what exactly are they looking for.

Everyone that I work with had to struggle in some shape or form to be where they are now. For some, it took multiple applications to get hired. Other struggled after getting hired. Couple guys I know almost got kicked out. I can tell you one thing; I rather struggle before getting hired and have the opportunity to reflect if this is what I truly want in life than put in 1 year of exhaustive training and work with loads of red tape to realize that I am not cut out for this.

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 pm

allbrancereal wrote:
devilwoman wrote:

This!! :thumbsup:

Don’t let that eat you up my friend. I have been in the same boat and I have kept my nose very clean throughout my life. Sometimes you just don’t match up and it’s not something on your end. They have their set of criteria and we will never know what exactly are they looking for.

Everyone that I work with had to struggle in some shape or form to be where they are now. For some, it took multiple applications to get hired. Other struggled after getting hired. Couple guys I know almost got kicked out. I can tell you one thing; I rather struggle before getting hired and have the opportunity to reflect if this is what I truly want in life than put in 1 year of exhaustive training and work with loads of red tape to realize that I am not cut out for this.

Thank you for the post. Just really sucked making it the entire way through my first ever application and then losing it at the very end. (especially when you know the guy who got hired to replace you - he used to message some guys on my football team on Facebook and tell them he was going to kill them before our games...nice. I know this is the career I am set out to do, just a matter of if the recruiters think so also!

Would you guys recommend taking some time to apply to my next service? I dont want to burn any bridges with other services if i apply right after a failed BGI. Thanks

SSick99
Rookie Member

Postby SSick99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 am

They should tell you the reason as to why you were deferred.

If you want to see the real reason just do a FOIP request to see the exact wording.
Municipal Dept: HIRED!
RCMP BC:
RPAB: Aug/14
RMAQ: Nov/14
RMSI: Nov/14
PARE1: Jan/15 - 3:09
PEP: Jun/15
BGI: Sep/15
MED: July/15
PARE2: July/15 - 3:08
PSYC: July/15
FR: Sep/15 - Deferred 5 years - Another loss for RCMP

OntarioNavy
Rookie Member

Postby OntarioNavy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:00 am

SSick99 wrote:They should tell you the reason as to why you were deferred.

If you want to see the real reason just do a FOIP request to see the exact wording.
Who would I submit the request to? Sorry this is a new concept to me.

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 am

They should tell you the reason as to why you were deferred.

It would be great if they would, but one just has to accept that they won't.

Doing a FOIP is a sure way to annoy the service. Yes, you can do one. Yes, they shouldn't get annoyed. The reality is, though, sometimes part of the process is being turned downed and just taking it on the chin.

My recommendation is to avoid doing this, move on and continue to improve yourself and live life.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 pm

OntarioNavy wrote:Hey all,

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section as I can see that aggravates some of you - haha.

Around two months ago I was in the process for my municipal police service. Everything was going great. I passed the initial interview, senior officer selection panel, and moved on to the background stage. They began my background check on a Wednesday, and I recieiced an email on Thursday stating that I was no longer in the recruitment process. I am unsure exactly why I failed my background unfortunately. I wish I Knew so I could come to peace with their decision. I have a feeling that it could be an ex-girlfriend/mother combo seeking revenge (it was a rough break-up, and it happened a month before my background)

I have a few questions;
1. Let's call a spade a spade - do I still have hope when applying to other services?
2. Do services share results of backgrounds with eachother?

A bit about me... I just turned 23, I am a white male, graduated both college ( Police Foundations) as well as university (Major in Criminology), member of the military, and volunteer a boat load. I know that it's not my personality that's holding me back and I know I would be a great fit for the job, it's just someone else's negative opinion of me that unfortunately held some weight.

Thanks guys, lay it on me! To all current applicants I wish you the best of luck :)

EDIT: this was my first ever attempt. Just scared it may be the last!
The bolded line concerns me as well. I went through a nasty separation and am about to go through what should be a fairly straight-through divorce (custody, support, and assets are already decided). My ex and her mother have a serious axe to grind (long story short, the ex left the kids with me and changed her mind re:the kids after the paperwork was already filed). Can she be the reason my background fails? Will they weigh her information in a balanced manner along with all others? I would really hope that they do, as I am certain she has nothing good to say about me. I really hope the career I have been working towards for the last few years doesn't hang on the words of my ex-wife. If so, I'll be treading water in the 'pool' forever.

D
App 07-15-2017
Test 10-08-2017
Int 11-22-2017
Test res 01-03-2018
Pre-empl docs 01-29-2018
Start CTP 02-20-2018
Psych Eval 02-27-2018
Fngr and Med Req 03-02-2018
Sec quest 03-05-2018
CTP1 03-12-2018
Letter of interest 06-21-2018