Need some direction/advice

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
spooky
Rookie Member

Need some direction/advice

Postby spooky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:39 pm

So about 4 months ago I was shot down from a service on the final review stage. At the time it was really disappointing but I'm 100% committed to getting a job with this service. I'm not sure how to improve my resume though. I have some ideas and I'm looking for suggestions.

I graduated university in 2008, PF in 2012 - education is always a plus but I can't really afford to go back to school right now

I volunteer for Red Cross but volunteer opportunities are more scarce than I'd like.

I was considering figuring a way to somehow volunteer for an Arabic or Native community AND/OR volunteer for the service's auxiliary program.

I'm looking for ways to improve without spending too much money. I've got kids so time is relatively scarce too. I know that when I reapply they will be looking to see what's changed on my resume though.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Need some direction/advice

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Give blood.

Drive vets or other cancer patients to their appointments.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:07 am

Language is a big plus. If you can start learning another language, that will set you apart.

And don't let a deferral discourage you. Majority of us have been deferred at least once. Some even more. Just gotta keep plugging.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 am

Yeah, I had failed the ECI twice before passing this time. The thing that's eating me up a bit is not knowing exactly where to improve. I have a feeling it's lack of volunteering.

Stark

Postby Stark » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 am

spooky wrote:Yeah, I had failed the ECI twice before passing this time. The thing that's eating me up a bit is not knowing exactly where to improve. I have a feeling it's lack of volunteering.

Honestly, a lot of it often comes down to timing. Keep trying to improve yourself in whatever areas you can and apply again.