PTSD and you.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
noanykey
Rookie Member

Re: PTSD and you.

Postby noanykey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Excellent post Striker.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Very good topic to openly discuss.
I've seen several co-workers go through traumatic events over the years.
I think every workplace can / should make continual improvements / updates to their support systems (both proactive and reactive).

There's a good course on CPKN (available to student learners, so you don't have to be a police officer to take it)
http://www.cpkn.ca/course_critical_stress
(The course is provided by York Regional Police)

The course provides simple strategies for helping minimize the impact of events, and proactively preparing team based support.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Wheels28
Rookie Member

Postby Wheels28 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:59 pm

mack_silent wrote:Very good topic to openly discuss.
I've seen several co-workers go through traumatic events over the years.
I think every workplace can / should make continual improvements / updates to their support systems (both proactive and reactive).

There's a good course on CPKN (available to student learners, so you don't have to be a police officer to take it)
http://www.cpkn.ca/course_critical_stress
(The course is provided by York Regional Police)

The course provides simple strategies for helping minimize the impact of events, and proactively preparing team based support.

Yes, this course was one of my favourites of those available to students. Such an important topic!

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 am

Part of the curriculum at OPC includes (for last couple years) the Road to Mental Readiness program. Some scoff at it, but it is helpful, if you're open to it.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Mon May 14, 2018 2:58 pm

It tears me up to see a brother or sister take their own lives! I know how they feel and was soooo very close a few times myself! The only reason I’m still here is because of the love of my family!

I’ve been through the ringer and it’s still not over! While suffering from the PTSD I got myself into some trouble at work and have to go through a disciplinary hearing! It’s a total shit show too! This alone almost cost me my life!

Once the hearing is done I’ll open up about it and show just how bad things can be!

Each and every day is a struggle! I have allot of support which is a bonus!

Get the help you need before it takes over everything!

If you need to talk drop me a line and I’ll help out as much as I can!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 pm

devilwoman wrote:Part of the curriculum at OPC includes (for last couple years) the Road to Mental Readiness program. Some scoff at it, but it is helpful, if you're open to it.

Same thing with Depot, and they have the same RMR program being offered now, I'm not sure if it is mandatory, but everyone in my office has either been through it or going in to it soon. My direct supervisor is a big proponent of it.
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 am

It's mandatory for Ontario services. I'm an instructor for it at our college and we are working to get the staff who didn't receive it at OPC (around 5000) trained within the next 2 years. We run 2/3 classes a week.

It's good to see even senior constables taking it seriously. I'm a huge proponent of it and felt very grateful to get one of the instructor spots.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."