Soreness after run

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
stribor45
Rookie Member

Soreness after run

Postby stribor45 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 am

Hi,
I am just curious if anyone experienced soreness in their leg above the ankle on the sides. It is really and sore and aches a lot but it does go away by taking an Advil so I don't think its that serious. Is it possible that the muscles above ankle are being overworked? I am older so that might be one of the factors.
I am aware that for true diagnosis I should seek medical advise but I just wanted to see how others feel after workout and especially in the area where I feel soreness.

:)

modi13
Rookie Member

Re: Soreness after run

Postby modi13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 am

It sounds like it's shin splints if it's above the joint. I suffered from them pretty badly when I started running again, and I wear compression sleeves now which alleviate them completely.

bomc
Rookie Member

Postby bomc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am

Is it on the outside muscle or inside muscle of the leg above the ankle ?

If it's on the Inside muscle, then there is big chance this is shin splints as modi13 said.

IMO, if it's on the outside muscle, it's probably just because you are not used to it and it's probably not shin splints. I have this when i do a lot of stairs and after a day or two it's all gone (BTW i'm no expert ahah) !
QC
Reinsert/SP : 16-5
RMAQ :16-6
PEP : 16-8
SLE : 16-9 (ECB)
PEP REC : 16-11
BGI : 16-11 / 16-12
Med/Psych : 16-12
Med/Psych REC : 16-12
FR : 17-01/17-03
Cond.offer Troop #3 - declined : 17-03-08
SC : 17-3-30...offer
Troop #5 - May 8th

otwobjj
Rookie Member

Postby otwobjj » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 am

Could be shin splits. Its good to invest in good running shoes.

If you are training out doors try running on a treadmil and see if its better for you.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

stribor45 wrote:Hi,
I am just curious if anyone experienced soreness in their leg above the ankle on the sides. It is really and sore and aches a lot but it does go away by taking an Advil so I don't think its that serious. Is it possible that the muscles above ankle are being overworked? I am older so that might be one of the factors.
I am aware that for true diagnosis I should seek medical advise but I just wanted to see how others feel after workout and especially in the area where I feel soreness.

Very normal.
It sounds like muscle soreness or shin splints. I'll send you a PM with some tips to help on your future runs.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Train on grass. When I was prepping for SOPAT, I started getting really bad foot pains but it was also getting closer to my test so I found some flat grassy areas and ran like the wind.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Iceman300
Rookie Member

Postby Iceman300 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Try a running shoe with a lot of cushion. Don't worry about having ultra light weight shoes. Also try running on grass or trails to lessen the strain on your legs.

Treadmills are ok to get you through the winter. But nothing will ever beat actually running outside for distance.

alexgue89
Rookie Member

Postby alexgue89 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 pm

I am not giving medical advice but it sounds like it's your posterior tibialis that is inflamed when you run and why the Advil helps afterward. Unfortunately, the term 'shin splints' is used for all lower leg injuries and why IMO it is important to speak to a medical professional because your situation may be different to others.
App Rec: Mar 23, 2020
Written LFI/PBQ: May 13, 2020
LFI: Jun 2, 2020
Senior Panel: Jun 15, 2020
Psych: Jun 16/30, 2020
BGI: Jul 6, 2020
Medical: Jul 23/30/31, 2020
Home Visit: Aug 3, 2020
Chief’s Interview: Aug 13, 2020
THE CALL!!!!: Aug 20, 2020

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Cushion works for some runners, others need a firm arch support shoe.
It depends on the arch and pronation of the runners foot. Some Running Room stores will look at how you walk shoeless / how you stand to recommend a proper shoe.

Iceman300 wrote:Try a running shoe with a lot of cushion. Don't worry about having ultra light weight shoes. Also try running on grass or trails to lessen the strain on your legs.

Treadmills are ok to get you through the winter. But nothing will ever beat actually running outside for distance.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm

stribor45 wrote:Hi,

How long/far do you run?

Have you ever tried foam rolling? Do it to your legs pre run can really help. Post run too but for me a huge factor was doing before a long run. Especially more the 8km

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 am

Lacrosse ball to the underside of the foot is also an amazing way to help prevent soreness or release tension in the legs.

Due to standing/walking for hours on concrete train platforms wearing steel shanked and steel toed duty boots I started suffering from plantar fasciitis..... the lacrosse ball was a life saver. I'd wake up unable to put pressure on my feet without incredible pain.....hell some mornings my feet would be cramped up. Granted, I haven't been walking platforms for almost three years now, but when I was it saved me. I still use it almost every day on my feet, jus to because it hurts so good.

It also does wonders if you use it on your shoulders and back for tension....even relieves headaches.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 am

:stupid:
devilwoman wrote:...ball to the underside of the foot...

...also does wonders if you use it on your shoulders and back for tension...
I started doing that in yoga class and do it at home now occasionally, it feels sooooo good
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I started doing that in yoga class and do it at home now occasionally, it feels sooooo good

Its that good sort of pain.......I actually get cracks out of my beck after I use it between my shoulder blades and spine.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I used a squash ball between shoulder blades - it's small enough to squeeze underneath. Helped immensely when I was several months post-surgery (rotator cuff) when the knots were hellish.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 pm

I found that doing calf muscle stretching helps a bit with shin splints. Here’s a good website to learn more about shin splints: https://www.runnersworld.com/shin-splints

On a side note, for sore muscles, I found that a TENS machine can help as well. I got one for Christmas from my mother in law last year. I love it.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.