OPP vs Municipal Services (GTA)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Colts99
Rookie Member

OPP vs Municipal Services (GTA)

Postby Colts99 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:52 am

Hello,

I'm posting this to seek some advice and help resolve my dilemma.
Due to my geographic location, I am fortunate enough to be able to apply to a few municipal services plus the OPP.
However, I would like to know what are some of the key differences between OPP and the municipal services within any given criteria.
Also, how many services would you suggest I could apply to at a given time?
Many thanks for your inputs in advance.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: OPP vs Municipal Services (GTA)

Postby mack_silent » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Colts99 wrote:Hello,

Due to my geographic location, I am fortunate enough to be able to apply to a few municipal services plus the OPP.
However, I would like to know what are some of the key differences between OPP and the municipal services within any given criteria.

OPP has many detachments that are traffic safety. (HSD)
They police the 401 series and other highways in Ontario.
Some OPP detachments provide full police services.

What it really comes down to is: What do YOU look for in a police service?
Look at your skills and research each service carefully before applying. Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Proteus
Rookie Member

Postby Proteus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:25 am

Hmm, you say that because of your "geographic location" you're able to apply to some municipal services and OPP? Don't forget that even though OPP often grants one of the applicant's preferred postings it's not guaranteed. It really isn't.

Because of the wording of your question I'm going to assume that you don't want to relocate too far from your current residence within the GTA. Based on that assumption, my advice to you is not to apply to OPP in that case. Limit your applications to those few municipalities that you are willing to work in. Simple as that. :) Good luck.

Colts99
Rookie Member

Postby Colts99 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Proteus wrote:Hmm, you say that because of your "geographic location" you're able to apply to some municipal services and OPP? Don't forget that even though OPP often grants one of the applicant's preferred postings it's not guaranteed. It really isn't.

Because of the wording of your question I'm going to assume that you don't want to relocate too far from your current residence within the GTA. Based on that assumption, my advice to you is not to apply to OPP in that case. Limit your applications to those few municipalities that you are willing to work in. Simple as that. :) Good luck.

Thank you!
It's safe to say your assumption is accurate. Although OPP has always been intriguing to me because of its size and the variety of specialized areas you can delve into, but that also requires the willingness to relocate within the province.

Colts99
Rookie Member

Postby Colts99 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:13 pm

mack_silent wrote:

OPP has many detachments that are traffic safety. (HSD)
They police the 401 series and other highways in Ontario.
Some OPP detachments provide full police services.

What it really comes down to is: What do YOU look for in a police service?

Thanks a million for your advice. It's true in the sense, OPP does vary quite a lot from the other municipal police services.
Look at your skills and research each service carefully before applying. Good luck!

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 am

''You need to decide which police service you want to work for and apply to THAT one'' - directly from an O.P.P. recruiter.

The O.P.P. have every specialized unit and more than some municipal or city police services. However, the caveat is, they may be more spread out over the region. Decide what appeals to you then put all your effort into that application instead of throwing a bunch of applications into the wind and hoping a service will select you. This shows a genuine interest in the service and recruiters will appreciate this as it shows you want to work for their service.