Appealing a Deferal

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BCPG
Rookie Member

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby BCPG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

You gentlemen are over thinking the situation in my opinion.

You do get reasoning explanation as to why you were deferred in your letter, though they do not explain how to appeal it hence my question that I still haven't been able to find any information on. Information passes so many hands that it'd be nice to speak with someone and explain a couple things a bit better. Also the fact that there was misinformation on some of the claims on the hiring end of things I'd like to clear that up.

If half of you are police officers, not sure how you can have such a pessimistic attitude. If you're not going to make a productive answer and contribute then you must have a lot of spare time on your hands to be making comments as some of the ones listed above.

Furthermore, thanks for those who gave advice regarding improving of oneself. That is definitely a constant job that will continue until you're six feet under, if you think otherwise you would be wrong, I'll keep that in mind!

Have a good day.

edit:

SK82, thank you for the comment! I appreciate it the advice.I'd love to explain it on here but, it would be irrelevant.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:33 am

BCPG wrote:You gentlemen are over thinking the situation in my opinion.

You do get reasoning explanation as to why you were deferred in your letter, though they do not explain how to appeal it hence my question that I still haven't been able to find any information on. Information passes so many hands that it'd be nice to speak with someone and explain a couple things a bit better. Also the fact that there was misinformation on some of the claims on the hiring end of things I'd like to clear that up.

If half of you are police officers, not sure how you can have such a pessimistic attitude. If you're not going to make a productive answer and contribute then you must have a lot of spare time on your hands to be making comments as some of the ones listed above.

Furthermore, thanks for those who gave advice regarding improving of oneself. That is definitely a constant job that will continue until you're six feet under, if you think otherwise you would be wrong, I'll keep that in mind!

Have a good day.

edit:

SK82, thank you for the comment! I appreciate it the advice.I'd love to explain it on here but, it would be irrelevant.

If/when you become a cop, you'll quickly learn that there are far more pessimistic/jaded/salty ones than happy-go-lucky optimistic ones. Just saying.

As for your question, I would say your best course of action is to contact the police force that deferred you and ask for the reason(s) why, and how the appeal process works.

I've been deferred before being hired, as have many cops I work with. It's one of the hardest careers to obtain and the easiest to lose.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:25 am

jared1990 wrote:
zycil27 wrote:It's disappointing seeing so many jump to the conclusion that someone requesting an appeal is trying to whine their way in and that there absolutely must be a good reason for their deferral. You don't know their story or their file. Mistakes happen, misunderstandings happen, systems fail, and sometimes it's the matter of someone not doing their job properly. Not saying this is what happens to everyone going for an appeal or that this is the case here, as I don't know the details of their file to say either. The appeal process is there for a reason, they can use it if they feel it just. It just means it'll get reviewed and the decision will be changed or it won't.

These users flaming the OP sound like much bigger "whiners". Appeals processes are put in place for a reason. Recruiting staff can make mistakes, they are only human. Regardless of why the OP is appealing his deferall, that's his decision. The fact that he is posting on a forum surrounded by other law enforcements applicants/officers asking for advice is probably one of most resourceful decisions he can make.

So get your heads out of your asses and either offer him some constructive advice, or fuck off.

First of all, neither of you can even spell deferral properly.

Flaming ? Or giving an answer that the OP and yourself don't like.Considering most of those posts you consider ''flaming'' are coming from coppers who are on the job and may have worked in recruiting at one time or another if I were the OP I'd take that as pretty sound advice.

You don't ''appeal'' a deferral and filing a human rights complaint etc definitely won't help you get hired next time around. So call the service and tell them ''Mistakes happen, misunderstandings happen, systems fail, and sometimes it's the matter of someone not doing their job properly'', and also don't forget to mention that your filing a human rights case and see how far that gets you.

Not to mention I'm not even convinced you and the OP aren't one in the same.

You would be much better suited to take the advice, self improve, education , fitness, etc to make yourself the most competitive applicant out there and re-apply when the deferral is up

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:09 pm

The difference in "sound advice" vs "flaming" comes down to the tone used.
Let's try to remain respectful when people ask for advice.
Last edited by mack_silent on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I forgot why I usually stick to the private side. Good luck with "appealing" a deferral and a human rights complain...times are changing....