Appealing a Deferal

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BCPG
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:41 pm
Contact:

Appealing a Deferal

Postby BCPG » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Good evening everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have a few questions about my future in Law Enforcement.

How does the appeal process work exactly, I did not receive any information in regard to how to go about doing the options but, they listed them as.

"Federal Court (Trial Division)" or "Canadian Human Rights Commission".

I am just curious as to what these methods entail? Is one a presented case in court vs the other being a mailed in document. I did not receive any information as to how you go about appealing.


Please no flaming as I am just looking to get general information on this portion.

*********

Furthermore, providing a person decides to apply into a Municipal police force without living in the Municipality how does the process work?

Is it all via E-Post? Or do you have to go through the steps in person. (Say you want to apply into the VPD but, you do not live there).


Thank you, have a great day.

Meangreen
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby Meangreen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 am

BCPG wrote:Good evening everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have a few questions about my future in Law Enforcement.

How does the appeal process work exactly, I did not receive any information in regard to how to go about doing the options but, they listed them as.

"Federal Court (Trial Division)" or "Canadian Human Rights Commission".

I am just curious as to what these methods entail? Is one a presented case in court vs the other being a mailed in document. I did not receive any information as to how you go about appealing.


Please no flaming as I am just looking to get general information on this portion.

*********

Furthermore, providing a person decides to apply into a Municipal police force without living in the Municipality how does the process work?

Is it all via E-Post? Or do you have to go through the steps in person. (Say you want to apply into the VPD but, you do not live there).


Thank you, have a great day.


I received the same deferral with the same instructions. I went ahead and contacted the Canadian Human Rights Commission, and they put me on a list to be called back by an analyst who I can voice my concerns to and can tell me what the next steps are.

That was around 4 weeks ago and I am still waiting for that phone call.

User avatar
Loadie
Grand Poobah
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby Loadie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:55 pm

If you were deferred there is a GOOD reason for it! Look into your past and seriously think about it! We do our research and don't defer lightly! There is something there that is over and above what that service is ready to accept! when you are deferred that specific service documents everything!

Go back and ask that service why you were deferred, in saying that, they may or may not tell you!

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1210
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Southern Ontario
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby bunnel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 pm

As a recently retired Member, it really saddens me to see that some applicants feel the need to "appeal" a deferral. If you weren't hired, maybe you're NOT GOOD ENOUGH compared to other applicants or maybe this isn't the career for you! Like Loadie says, talk to the Service and they may give you some advice on how to better yourself for when you can re-apply, or other honest feedback.
Since when should the Service be FORCED to hire you?? Is that how you want to start your career? Sad.
Btw, if you consider this flaming...get over it.

Tango5
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am
Location: E Div
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby Tango5 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Loadie, bunnel.

@2
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Stark
Regular Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby Stark » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 am

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the intent behind appealing a deferral? Are you hoping the service will change their mind, put you back into the process and hire you? I'm not trying to flame, but I'm genuinely curious.

I totally get the frustration of being deferred. I was deferred from one of the services I applied to. I get it. You may feel that you're very qualified or you don't understand the reasoning behind the deferral, but I don't see how appealing it is going to change anything except for guaranteeing the service will never look at you again. As much as most of the services try being objective in their processes, I do believe that many of the stages are subjective. You can't control who interviews you and even though they mark on a grid/rubric some things will be a bigger deal for some people vs others. Nothing you can do about that. Take their criticism constructively, make the necessary improvements if you can and apply to more than one force if you're competitive enough to get hired.

User avatar
John014
Seasoned Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby John014 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:47 am

I typed out a long post explaining things.
Then I grabbed my second Scotch and thought fuk it, this guy's question is dumb AF.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

A.blackburn
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 am
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby A.blackburn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:48 pm

bunnel wrote:As a recently retired Member, it really saddens me to see that some applicants feel the need to "appeal" a deferral. If you weren't hired, maybe you're NOT GOOD ENOUGH compared to other applicants or maybe this isn't the career for you! Like Loadie says, talk to the Service and they may give you some advice on how to better yourself for when you can re-apply, or other honest feedback.
Since when should the Service be FORCED to hire you?? Is that how you want to start your career? Sad.
Btw, if you consider this flaming...get over it.


I disagree, i think appeals are there for a reason. Not in the way that you can force yourself in but sometime there is a misunderstanding. A guy that I know did it last year with the rcmp and he's a RM now, not better not worst than any other applicant who got in without an appeal.

Most of the time it's better to suck it up, but appeals are not useless imo.
Police Officer

dinokid23
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby dinokid23 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Forgive me if this is a dumb question..is a deferral basically a rejection (eg "we have more qualified applicants"), or is it the police force telling you that they found something that doesnt sit well with them (eg "you said that your record was clean, we found this and that")? If its the latter, why do some people receive deferrals from some forces but not others?

User avatar
Toonces
King Poobah
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby Toonces » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Apparently they should be sending out safety pins and participation ribbons with the deferral letters.

Seriously people. If you get deferred, work harder. You're not demonstrating perseverance by whining to some separate entity if you don't get what you want.

I didn't get hired on my first try. I worked my ass off and still didn't get hired my second try. Worked even harder, and am now in my 10th year. I don't want to share my workplace with babies who cry when they don't get what they want. I guarantee there's saltier officers than me out there who are even more opinionated on the subject!
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

rntacp
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby rntacp » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Toonces wrote:I didn't get hired on my first try. I worked my ass off and still didn't get hired my second try. Worked even harder, and am now in my 10th year. I don't want to share my workplace with babies who cry when they don't get what they want. I guarantee there's saltier officers than me out there who are even more opinionated on the subject!


BUT unfortunately, at least IMO we'll be sharing the workplace with these types of "folks" more and more. It's the demographic up and coming, I think all of us can agree there. Sad as it is... godamn whiners...

jarham0002
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby jarham0002 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:47 am

rntacp wrote:BUT unfortunately, at least IMO we'll be sharing the workplace with these types of "folks" more and more. It's the demographic up and coming, I think all of us can agree there. Sad as it is... godamn whiners...

I sincerely hope this is not the case. The victim mentality is an epidemic of this generation, and it doesn't bode well for any would-be Mountie's career to embark upon it with an attitude of vindictiveness and mistrust.
Troop 27

zycil27
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby zycil27 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 am

It's disappointing seeing so many jump to the conclusion that someone requesting an appeal is trying to whine their way in and that there absolutely must be a good reason for their deferral. You don't know their story or their file. Mistakes happen, misunderstandings happen, systems fail, and sometimes it's the matter of someone not doing their job properly. Not saying this is what happens to everyone going for an appeal or that this is the case here, as I don't know the details of their file to say either. The appeal process is there for a reason, they can use it if they feel it just. It just means it'll get reviewed and the decision will be changed or it won't.

jared1990
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby jared1990 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm

zycil27 wrote:It's disappointing seeing so many jump to the conclusion that someone requesting an appeal is trying to whine their way in and that there absolutely must be a good reason for their deferral. You don't know their story or their file. Mistakes happen, misunderstandings happen, systems fail, and sometimes it's the matter of someone not doing their job properly. Not saying this is what happens to everyone going for an appeal or that this is the case here, as I don't know the details of their file to say either. The appeal process is there for a reason, they can use it if they feel it just. It just means it'll get reviewed and the decision will be changed or it won't.


These users flaming the OP sound like much bigger "whiners". Appeals processes are put in place for a reason. Recruiting staff can make mistakes, they are only human. Regardless of why the OP is appealing his deferall, that's his decision. The fact that he is posting on a forum surrounded by other law enforcements applicants/officers asking for advice is probably one of most resourceful decisions he can make.

So get your heads out of your asses and either offer him some constructive advice, or fuck off.

User avatar
Sk82
Veteran Member
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:21 am
Location: AB
Contact:

Re: Appealing a Deferal

Postby Sk82 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 pm

You have to be brining some kind of new or relevant information to recruiting's attention that wasn't in the loop prior to the deferral if you expect them to overturn their decision. Just like in policing/court you have to have facts to support your reason not opinions. Being emotional or disagreeing with their assessment is going to get you nowhere. I would tread carefully with an appeal. If it's your first time applying to the agency you are far better off in the long run waiting out your deferral time. Otherwise you run the risk of being labeled "that applicant" and will likely continue to get deferred with that agency. Weigh out your options and if you feel you have a strong factual basis for your appeal then stand up for what you feel is right but be prepared to articulate why.
Police Constable


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Mkelly871, SemrushBot and 4 guests