Community Patrol Officer - Toronto Housing

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Meangreen
Rookie Member

Community Patrol Officer - Toronto Housing

Postby Meangreen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 am

Toronto Community Housing had a posting last week for the Community Patrol Officer/Special Constable position. I am wondering if anyone else applied to it?

Or anyone who is familiar with their recruiting practises for this particular position?

Thanks.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Community Patrol Officer - Toronto Housing

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Don't bother.

Under paid.

Under trained.

Under appreciated.

Barely any UoF options.

No protection if you do use UoF.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:46 am

Meangreen wrote:Toronto Community Housing had a posting last week for the Community Patrol Officer/Special Constable position. I am wondering if anyone else applied to it?

Or anyone who is familiar with their recruiting practises for this particular position?

Thanks.

Recruiting process is fairly straight forward. Assessment testing, interview, background investigation.

I’m in the previous competition awaiting my interview, which should be mid-December sometime. I have buddies who work for TCH and from what I have heard, it’s an awesome career! They love it! It is definitely a career path I want to experience. Yes, it can be very dangerous! But any LEO career is dangerous, but have to be smart and never become complacent! I can’t wait for my interview!

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:40 pm

I looked into this job when I lived in Toronto. I'm just going to say, do ALOT of research. Alot. and try to talk to some guys that have been doing it for a long time before you decide if you want to put yourself through that shit.

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 am

Guy in the job here.

Let me know what questions you have. I'll do my best to answer.

DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT:
1) When are we hiring?
2) How many people are we hiring?
3) What are my chances of getting hired?

I work front lines, not recruiting. I can give you an idea of the job, but I can't get you one.

I will address ATR's points, though.

Under paid? Yeah pretty much. We put ourselves out there in some rather dangerous shit, but hey. Its a job, its experience, its decent coin, its benefits and a pension. So while yeah, I'd love a raise, it currently pays the bills.

Under trained? Not so much. We have a great set of trainers now. I've heard that numerous agencies use them for their training (GO and TTC for sure) so that's pretty good.

Under appreciated? Yes. Find me an agency these days that isn't, though.

Use of Force options? We have everything that any other Special Constable agency has: cuffs, baton, foam.

No protection? I've had to use force enough times and I have a job. Keep your nose clean and do what you have to do under the constraints of the law and you should be good.

AND BEFORE ANYONE ASKS....

NO YOU DO NOT START OFF AS A SPECIAL CONSTABLE. Everyone starts off as a Provincial Offences Officer and is sworn in when we have a designation available.
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer
#BJJMAKEITMANDATORY

SullyBrown
Rookie Member

Postby SullyBrown » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Crimedoesntpay,

What was the application process like for you? How long did it take?

I applied to the recent posting and have been in contact with the HR coordinator at Toronto Community Housing handling the hiring for this position.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:10 pm

SullyBrown wrote:Crimedoesntpay,

I applied to the recent posting and have been in contact with the HR coordinator at Toronto Community Housing handling the hiring for this position.

I applied to the previous posting back in July/August. I passed the initial assessment early September and interviews will be conducted mid-December. It's been about 4 months for me, it's like any LEO process.... LONG!

Carriers
Rookie Member

Postby Carriers » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 am

Couple of internal applicant (Dispatchers / Parking Enforcement) were given offers. Start date is pending when they have the numbers for class. Couple of external applicants are currently in BGI with TPS as far as I know. They are still looking to fill multiple positions from what was relayed.

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:27 pm

SullyBrown wrote:Crimedoesntpay,

From my date of application to hiring date was close to a year.

This was also over 5 years ago, so things may have changed. Not by much, I would assume. Its a law enforcement section. Applications and background checks take a long time. I've heard of people getting through in 6 months, I've heard of it taking well over a year. Also depends how far you are in the pool. Other more qualified applicants will be hired first. All depends on whats going on at the time.

Sworn Peace Officer
#BJJMAKEITMANDATORY

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 am

Might also take a bit longer as TPS now has a bare bones crew in the Employment section....recruiters have been transferred out to Divisions, so I would suspect BGIs have been reduced as well.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:02 am

A.T.R. wrote:Don't bother.

Under paid.

Under trained.

Under appreciated.

Barely any UoF options.

Any examples or care to elaborate? Just for my curiosity sake
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

JCPenny1
Rookie Member

Postby JCPenny1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:

Under paid.

Under trained.

Under appreciated.

Barely any UoF options.

Under paid - Yes but job satisfaction beats the hell out of TTC and GO (In no way am I disrespecting TTC and GO as I'm speaking from experience and having spoken to Specials working for TTC and Go). If you value money over everything else go apply to Viva Transit Special Constables.
Under trained - Training is pretty much on par with other SCst agencies in the GTA.
Under appreciated - That's a double edged sword
UoF options - Just like any other SCst organization out there
No protection if you do use UoF - Wrong, never heard/seen anyone being charged/dismissed because he/she used force to justify an arrest/defend themselves.

For people looking to apply to us. The only question I want you guys to ask yourselves is do you want to go out there and make a difference. This is a job where you'll be going out, building rapport with people in the communities and looking to find a solution to all the problems they bring forth to you. :D

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 am

JCPenny1 wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

Under paid.

Under trained.

Under appreciated.

Barely any UoF options.

Under paid - Yes but job satisfaction beats the hell out of TTC and GO (In no way am I disrespecting TTC and GO as I'm speaking from experience and having spoken to Specials working for TTC and Go). If you value money over everything else go apply to Viva Transit Special Constables.
Under trained - Training is pretty much on par with other SCst agencies in the GTA.
Under appreciated - That's a double edged sword
UoF options - Just like any other SCst organization out there
No protection if you do use UoF - Wrong, never heard/seen anyone being charged/dismissed because he/she used force to justify an arrest/defend themselves.

For people looking to apply to us. The only question I want you guys to ask yourselves is do you want to go out there and make a difference. This is a job where you'll be going out, building rapport with people in the communities and looking to find a solution to all the problems they bring forth to you. :D

Exactly why I applied!

JCPenny1
Rookie Member

Postby JCPenny1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Goodluck! 8)

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:12 pm

JCPenny1 wrote:For people looking to apply to us. The only question I want you guys to ask yourselves is do you want to go out there and make a difference. This is a job where you'll be going out, building rapport with people in the communities and looking to find a solution to all the problems they bring forth to you. :D

This. So much this.

A regular copper can come in, kick up shit, arrest the bad guy, leave. You, on the other hand, have to come back to that community tomorrow. Or worse...stay that day. We are in a very unique position as far as Special Constable agencies go. If there is an issue on TTC or GO? It's the SPC's house. You don't like it? Call an uber. If there is a problem at a University? It's the SPC's house. You don't like it? Study somewhere else.

A TCH Special Constable has a difficult balancing job. If there is an issue on TCH property? It is the resident's house. Can't boot someone for TPA from their own house. Makes things a lot more complicated. We basically integrate and become a part of the communities we serve. You have to. You're there every day. You will get a chance to help someone out there every day. You will make acquaintances (residents have stepped up and backed me up in fights before) and you will gather intelligence. Which, as any seasoned vet will tell you...good intel is worth its weight in gold. You might not get the lil 20 piece of crack arrest and Possession charge today, but you just may learn about who is dealing it, and where. And when. Being a TCH SPC is a whole other beast unto itself.

Sworn Peace Officer
#BJJMAKEITMANDATORY