Potential police applicant? Good applicant?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
island swami
Rookie Member

Potential police applicant? Good applicant?

Postby island swami » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:13 pm

I have considered Policing as a career for a considerable amount of time. My main concern is: once (assuming I've been hired) would it be possible for a constable to attend a part-time or full-time masters program? Does the shift work make this possible, of course with a little bit of finesse and dedication.

As for applying for policing; I'm aiming for either Toronto or Peel. I haven't taken any of the testing yet; but I'm confident I'm my ability to score within the 90th percentile ranks of each of the respective tests.
other important factors of my application are:
-I'm 24 turning 25 soon.
-Visibile minority and can speak a second language.
-Graduated university a couple years ago and have Military (Army) experience as well (left due to personal reasons, honourable discharge)

is there anything I can do to bolster my application, or am I at a relative competitive best?

any feedback is appreciated, preferably by someone with police experience.

jared1990
Rookie Member

Re: Potential police applicant??

Postby jared1990 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:20 pm

island swami wrote:I have considered Policing as a career for a considerable amount of time. My main concern is: once (assuming I've been hired) would it be possible for a constable to attend a part-time or full-time masters program? Does the shift work make this possible, of course with a little bit of finesse and dedication.

As for applying for policing; I'm aiming for either Toronto or Peel. I haven't taken any of the testing yet; but I'm confident I'm my ability to score within the 90th percentile ranks of each of the respective tests.
-I'm 24 turning 25 soon.
-Graduated university a couple years ago and have Military (Army) experience as well (left due to personal reasons, honourable discharge)

is there anything I can do to bolster my application, or am I at a relative competitive best?

Hey there,

It would be (in my opinion) impossible to pursue full time studies and almost just as difficult to do part time studies. Along with shift work is overtime and court. These two things will take up most of your other time outside your regularly scheduled shifts. You may never sleep haha.

I understand you're a university graduate and I am extremely happy you've chosen a career in law enforcement, but don't underestimate police testing. Having a university degree does not mean you will score high on the testing. It's a different kind of testing. I am also a university graduate and I can speak from experience.

Your age, ethnicity and army experience will definitely be beneficial. However, there are many applicants nowadays who have those exact same credentials, if not more. To make yourself more competitive I would go find a way to work/volunteer with the community, particularly with youth and communities of diverse backgrounds.

Good luck!

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:47 pm

jared1990 wrote:
island swami wrote:I have considered Policing as a career for a considerable amount of time. My main concern is: once (assuming I've been hired) would it be possible for a constable to attend a part-time or full-time masters program? Does the shift work make this possible, of course with a little bit of finesse and dedication.

-I'm 24 turning 25 soon.

Hey there,

It would be (in my opinion) impossible to pursue full time studies and almost just as difficult to do part time studies. Along with shift work is overtime and court. These two things will take up most of your other time outside your regularly scheduled shifts. You may never sleep haha.

I understand you're a university graduate and I am extremely happy you've chosen a career in law enforcement, but don't underestimate police testing. Having a university degree does not mean you will score high on the testing. It's a different kind of testing. I am also a university graduate and I can speak from experience.

Your age, ethnicity and army experience will definitely be beneficial. However, there are many applicants nowadays who have those exact same credentials, if not more. To make yourself more competitive I would go find a way to work/volunteer with the community, particularly with youth and communities of diverse backgrounds.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

I have extensive volunteer and outreach experience of various kinds during undergrad, as well as being a soccer coach for 3 years. (Didn't expect to say all this, since I felt its kind of assuming everyone would have a broad array of experiences if even trying to be competitive for policing). And of course infantry training and experience are on parallel with the stresses of policing (in a different way) but no sleep, is definitely something I can relate too.
Last edited by island swami on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:49 pm

jared1990 wrote:

-I'm 24 turning 25 soon.

Hey there,

Good luck!

I disagree with the portion regarding pursuing studies while working full time as a cop as being impossible. I am studying, one course at a time, and working in patrol and doing night shifts and attending court. If upgrading yourself is your goal, you will do it. Lots of online programs now which are relatively flexible.

Other than that, you sound like a pretty competitive applicant to me. Start applying!

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:55 pm

I disagree with the portion regarding pursuing studies while working full time as a cop as being impossible. I am studying, one course at a time, and working in patrol and doing night shifts and attending court. If upgrading yourself is your goal, you will do it. Lots of online programs now which are relatively flexible.

Other than that, you sound like a pretty competitive applicant to me. Start applying![/quote]

pmed!

jared1990
Rookie Member

Postby jared1990 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

allbrancereal wrote:I disagree with the portion regarding pursuing studies while working full time as a cop as being impossible. I am studying, one course at a time, and working in patrol and doing night shifts and attending court. If upgrading yourself is your goal, you will do it. Lots of online programs now which are relatively flexible.

Other than that, you sound like a pretty competitive applicant to me. Start applying!

You misunderstoof what I said. Maybe give it another read.

I mentioned that full time studies would be impossible, while you're talking about 1 course at a time. By definition, 1 course at a time is considered part time. But I guess when I think of part time, I'm thinking of 2-3 courses. I can definitely agree with being able to manage 1 course at a time while being employed as a full time LEO.

John014
Seasoned Member

Re: Potential police applicant? Good applicant?

Postby John014 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:27 am

Only thing you can do to bolster your application is actually apply.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:35 pm

island swami wrote:And of course infantry training and experience are on parallel with the stresses of policing (in a different way)

Unless you've deployed to an operational theatre, that statement is 100% incorrect.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:29 pm

recceguy wrote:
island swami wrote:And of course infantry training and experience are on parallel with the stresses of policing (in a different way)

Unless you've deployed to an operational theatre, that statement is 100% incorrect.

Did you only read that one comment, extrapolate what you wanted to hear, and then reply back without anything informative? I did say "in a different way" for a reason. My point being: the average trained infantry soldier would have a REASONABLE assessment of how stressful policing can be- appreciating the strain both physically and mentally. Which is where my statement came from.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:18 pm

island swami wrote:
recceguy wrote:

Did you only read that one comment, extrapolate what you wanted to hear, and then reply back without anything informative? I did say "in a different way" for a reason. My point being: the average trained infantry soldier would have a REASONABLE assessment of how stressful policing can be- appreciating the strain both physically and mentally. Which is where my statement came from.

I read your entire statement......

If you honestly believe that time in the infantry with nothing but courses and exercises in a controlled environment where the most stressful thing you're going to deal with is a MCpl maybe yelling at you, then you truly have no idea what policing entails stress wise.

I'm not looking for an argument here, I'm merely offering my opinion that has been formed by 1) having spent a lot more time in the combat arms than you, including deployments and 2) being a current serving police officer.

If you want to sit there and get confrontataional and argumentative with someone who has more experience than you......then the military has taught you nothing. Learn from experience and those who have experience.....I think you'll find that is one of the Canadian Forces 12 principles of leadership.

Read what I've said and really think about it......or don't......I'm not the one trying to get hired.
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:40 pm

recceguy wrote:[quote="island swami"

I read your entire statement......

If you honestly believe that time in the infantry with nothing but courses and exercises in a controlled environment where the most stressful thing you're going to deal with is a MCpl maybe yelling at you, then you truly have no idea what policing entails stress wise.

I'm not looking for an argument here, I'm merely offering my opinion that has been formed by 1) having spent a lot more time in the combat arms than you, including deployments and 2) being a current serving police officer.

If you want to sit there and get confrontataional and argumentative with someone who has more experience than you......then the military has taught you nothing. Learn from experience and those who have experience.....I think you'll find that is one of the Canadian Forces 12 principles of leadership.

Read what I've said and really think about it......or don't......I'm not the one trying to get hired.

For the record: I do think operational deployment >99% of anything in a police environment.

Pmed btw.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Ok I'll answer your initial question then.

You're an average at best candidate on paper from what I've read. You meet some checks in the box, but most of the things you've listed (degree, minimal time in the military, I assume reserves) are a dime a dozen in police applicants. You have listed no volunteer experience but are confident you can score in the 90th percentile of a test that is merely graded pass or fail thus rendering your 90th percentile score irrelevant.

Now, having worked a stint in recruiting and conducting background checks here's what I would find based on your posts here:

After reading your posts in this thread you come off as slightly arrogant, confrontational, and someone who talks about things they have no clue about (for instance the stress the job entails). Then when an experienced member offers an educated opinion meant for no reason other than to perhaps make you self realize that you were talking outside your area of expertise, you became confrontational, had no interest in hearing what he had to say etc.

This attitude would cause me to answer one of the most important questions I was told to answer while working recruiting...."would you work with this guy?"

Based on what I've read from you I'd tell my boss the answer is no for the reasons I just outlined.

Like I said....argue and brush me off all you want......you're the one looking to get hired not me. But member, recruiters can and do check your posts and you're coming off as very immature.

Hope that answers your question.

Edit: editing your confrontational post isn't going to help much......everything on this site is cached.
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm

recceguy wrote:Ok I'll answer your initial question then.

You're an average at best candidate on paper from what I've read. You meet some checks in the box, but most of the things you've listed (degree, minimal time in the military, I assume reserves) are a dime a dozen in police applicants. You have listed no volunteer experience but are confident you can score in the 90th percentile of a test that is merely graded pass or fail thus rendering your 90th percentile score irrelevant.

Now, having worked a stint in recruiting and conducting background checks here's what I would find based on your posts here:

After reading your posts in this thread you come off as slightly arrogant, confrontational, and someone who talks about things they have no clue about (for instance the stress the job entails). Then when an experienced member offers an educated opinion meant for no reason other than to perhaps make you self realize that you were talking outside your area of expertise, you became confrontational, had no interest in hearing what he had to say etc.

This attitude would cause me to answer one of the most important questions I was told to answer while working recruiting...."would you work with this guy?"

Based on what I've read from you I'd tell my boss the answer is no for the reasons I just outlined.

Like I said....argue and brush me off all you want......you're the one looking to get hired not me. But member, recruiters can and do check your posts and you're coming off as very immature.

Edit: editing your confrontational post isn't going to help much......everything on this site is cached.

You're making a lot of assumptions with an isolated forum post (my only one). Here I thought I could learn something from you. I have no evidence your credentials; I'm new to this forum and I've easily come across plenty of trolls playing police officers in hopes of earning some legitimacy and credibility not to mention, you've based my personality and abilities off a forum thread. lmao.

I edited that for the people who would read this post in hopes of clearing any confusion about themselves. They don't need to read two random dudes arguing about something that isn't relevant what so ever- now based off your posts you'd make an argument that it is relevant. Not to mention the shear immaturity of having a full on heated keyboard battle about an opinionated issue (the issue isn't military vs police experience or EVEN my "knowledge" of police stresses. The context was addressed to the person before me, it was more of a grammatical issue than what was written: I did not say police< military or other deviations, I said "army gives an approximation to what it might be like to police"

Regardless, you took the time out to post. So I'll acknowledge that.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:38 pm

island swami wrote:
recceguy wrote:Ok I'll answer your initial question then.

You're making a lot of assumptions with an isolated forum post (my only one). Here I thought I could learn something from you. I have no evidence your credentials; I'm new to this forum and I've easily come across plenty of trolls playing police officers in hopes of earning some legitimacy and credibility not to mention, you've based my personality and abilities off a forum thread. lmao.

I edited that for the people who would read this post in hopes of clearing any confusion about themselves. They don't need to read two random dudes arguing about something that isn't relevant what so ever- now based off your posts you'd make an argument that it is relevant. Not to mention the shear immaturity of having a full on heated keyboard battle about an opinionated issue (the issue isn't military vs police experience or EVEN my "knowledge" of police stresses. The context was addressed to the person before me, it was more of a grammatical issue than what was written: I did not say police< military or other deviations, I said "army gives an approximation to what it might be like to police"

Regardless, you took the time out to post. So I'll acknowledge that.

Yep I am making assumptions on an isolated forum post. You know why? Because I don't know you.....and neither do the recruiters with whatever service you apply for. They, like I, can only judge you based on small samples of what they find during their background investigation.

Your continued confrontational attitude makes you appear immature which is what recruiters see.

But alas, this is going nowhere as you clearly aren't getting it and no amount of me trying to throw you a bone seems like it will get through.

Like I said.......it's you trying to get hired....not me. Whether or not you believe my credibility as a police officer is of absolutely no consequence to me.
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Milkraider88
Rookie Member

Postby Milkraider88 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi guys,

I'm in need of some information. I also want to join a police force. I would like to join TPS, but I know they're no recruiting for a while. My question is:

How can I make my self look more competitive?

-I'm 28
-Security guard at hospital,
-Can speak Japanese, Turkish and English,
-Was a homeroom teacher for 2 years (lots of transferable skills, I think?)
-Volunteer with victims service at TPS headquarters,
-Board member at my Japanese school
-I have a degree (unrelated to policing)
-Have smart serve and MLEO
-Have a long history of working in the service industry.
-Passed all the tests for auxiliary police, back when I lived in London, England. (did not take up the training as I moved abroad.) -Is this even worth mentioning?
-Squeaky clean history

Am I 'good enough'? Or, do I need to do more. I'm very passionate about becoming one, and I feel like my experiences are what the police are looking, but that's MY opinion. Can you guys fill me in on your opinions'.

What should I do to be a top candidate?