Yay or Nay? Am I a good candidate?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Vegeta
Rookie Member

Re: Yay or Nay? Am I a good candidate?

Postby Vegeta » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:34 pm

devilwoman wrote:To be blunt, each service, hell each recruiter, will view your life, work and educational experience differently.

Some may view your "run ins" in your youth with police as beneficial as, even though police had contact with you, you're still choosing to make it your career path. That you didn't let those experiences colour you against police. Additionally, there's 17 years between those interactions, you were a teenager at the time, that you've worked hard to achieve your goals and give back to the community. That you work to better yourself, etc..

Some may think you're not suited, that no matter what, you made bad life choices. They won't care there's 17 years time between it, etc.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's a matter of finding the service that is looking for what you offer, much like E-Harmony. With less crazy chicks. (Those come later at OPC and in the form of badge bunnies) You just have to find that "perfect match".

None of us can tell you one way or another. Nor do our opinions mean jack. We aren't recruiters and even if we are police, we can't tell you what made us stand out to get the offer. No one knows that, except the very people who won't tell you.

Additionally, there are a tonne of people who come on this site, BS about their police interactions (aka down play it to make it seem less than what it was - or lie completely). So when people do give responses, it's based on the info provided which means nothing because it's false.

My opinion, apply. Know yourself. Be able to articulate those experiences. Don't make excuses for the past, show what you've done to move past those hiccups. Be honest. Don't take it personal....getting a rejection from a police service doesn't mean you're not a good person or even a good candidate, it just means you weren't good for them (again back to the dating metaphor....just because you don't click with one person doesn't mean you're not suitable with another). Don't become obsessed with it. Live your life. Be prepared to know what you'll do if you don't get an offer.

Most importantly.....don't feel entitled to a job offer.

I tend to become overly obsessive when it comes to things like this so I appreciate hearing it. I don't expect to get in right away but I am still confident that I have lots to contribute.

frontovika
Rookie Member

Postby frontovika » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Others have expressed their views quite well.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the department that you're interested in, and the views of the recruiting team and management. You may or not have the life experience. There's a lot of checks that you have to go through, and one negative perception will either lead to deferral or termination.

Just apply and find out, as long as you're confident in your character, abilities, and life experiences.

Stark

Postby Stark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:32 am

allbrancereal wrote:
devilwoman wrote:To be blunt, each service, hell each recruiter, will view your life, work and educational experience differently.

Some may view your "run ins" in your youth with police as beneficial as, even though police had contact with you, you're still choosing to make it your career path. That you didn't let those experiences colour you against police. Additionally, there's 17 years between those interactions, you were a teenager at the time, that you've worked hard to achieve your goals and give back to the community. That you work to better yourself, etc..

Some may think you're not suited, that no matter what, you made bad life choices. They won't care there's 17 years time between it, etc.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's a matter of finding the service that is looking for what you offer, much like E-Harmony. With less crazy chicks. (Those come later at OPC and in the form of badge bunnies) You just have to find that "perfect match".

None of us can tell you one way or another. Nor do our opinions mean jack. We aren't recruiters and even if we are police, we can't tell you what made us stand out to get the offer. No one knows that, except the very people who won't tell you.

Additionally, there are a tonne of people who come on this site, BS about their police interactions (aka down play it to make it seem less than what it was - or lie completely). So when people do give responses, it's based on the info provided which means nothing because it's false.

My opinion, apply. Know yourself. Be able to articulate those experiences. Don't make excuses for the past, show what you've done to move past those hiccups. Be honest. Don't take it personal....getting a rejection from a police service doesn't mean you're not a good person or even a good candidate, it just means you weren't good for them (again back to the dating metaphor....just because you don't click with one person doesn't mean you're not suitable with another). Don't become obsessed with it. Live your life. Be prepared to know what you'll do if you don't get an offer.

Most importantly.....don't feel entitled to a job offer.

Well put. I am still waiting for my badge bunny attention though. No interest in it but just something to check off the list :(

I don't think I've had any badge bunny attention yet either. Some of the stories are fantastic though!

On a more serious note though, I think devilwoman's post nails it. Each service is looking for something different and it really is such a subjective process. Devilwoman's analogy of online dating is a pretty good one. Some forces may love an applicant while others will reject the same applicant. I'd imagine some of the services you've applied to will appreciate you being candid about your experiences with police when you were young and how you've developed from there (I'm assuming). Others may not be able to get past the impaired incident. Your best bet is to apply and put your best foot forward. Good luck.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:12 am

Stark wrote:

I don't think I've had any badge bunny attention yet either. Some of the stories are fantastic!

I think it's an Edmonton thing. I hate saying it but we are lacking in quality here. If you know what I mean.

Stark

Postby Stark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:28 pm

allbrancereal wrote:
Stark wrote:

I don't think I've had any badge bunny attention yet either. Some of the stories are fantastic!

I think it's an Edmonton thing. I hate saying it but we are lacking in quality here. If you know what I mean.

It's a real tragedy.