Page 1 of 2

Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:34 pm
by Camshaft
Hello Everyone,

I am a career Mechanic (13 years) in look for a switch in careers. Right now I make 15-30k more than a first year constable. So, it will be a significant pay cut. The law enforcement has recently interested me. I have a young child, so I am not looking into RCMP, but rather municipal Police. (Greater Vancouver Area)

I just have some concerns about my past.

As a younger teenager I mixed with the wrong crowd. I had a conditional sentence as a minor for 1 year probation. Also, there was a case of wrong place wrong crowd, when I was taken to detainment twice. All before I was 17.

Since then I have turned my life around and became the best I could be.

My driving record is great, except for when I was 16. I lost my licence for doing some stupid things. I have a class three licence now and no convictions since, except for an HOV ticket 8 years ago.

My question is for recent recruits, and recruiters.

Do I have a chance?

I would really like to know my odds, as I can't spend 10K on JIBC training with only a glimmer of hope.

Please give me some insight. Harsh or not.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officerhttp://forums.bl

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:53 pm
by Tango5
Dude... Prior attaining the age of 17?

Forget it, apply.
That history means nothing.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officerhttp://forums.bl

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:15 pm
by Rareform
No offense, but these threads seem to be a dime a dozen.

Nothing that you ask here will have any bearing on what an actual recruiter might do. If you're really worried, talk to a recruiter before you even apply and find out.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 pm
by Camshaft
Thanks for the quick responses. I was sure that those threads have been posted here before.

But, again. Thank you for the responses. Please keep them coming if anyone else has something to chime in.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:09 am
by Tango5
There is not much to offer above the replies given..... Hmm, what more do you want to hear?

Apply.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:15 am
by Fonthill
Camshaft wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am a career Mechanic (13 years) in look for a switch in careers. Right now I make 15-30k more than a first year constable. So, it will be a significant pay cut. The law enforcement has recently interested me. I have a young child, so I am not looking into RCMP, but rather municipal Police. (Greater Vancouver Area)

I just have some concerns about my past.

As a younger teenager I mixed with the wrong crowd. I had a conditional sentence as a minor for 1 year probation. Also, there was a case of wrong place wrong crowd, when I was taken to detainment twice. All before I was 17.

Since then I have turned my life around and became the best I could be.

My driving record is great, except for when I was 16. I lost my licence for doing some stupid things. I have a class three licence now and no convictions since, except for an HOV ticket 8 years ago.

My question is for recent recruits, and recruiters.

Do I have a chance?

I would really like to know my odds, as I can't spend 10K on JIBC training with only a glimmer of hope.

Please give me some insight. Harsh or not.


You always have a chance. :). Chance though is like 3-4% of getting hired. Never give up if this is what you want

Good luck

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 am
by rangerDan
Just apply bud. That is the only way you will find out. Go to an info session to get a little more info on the position. Talk to a recruiter and ask them as many questions as you need then fill out the paperwork. You have a good job already so if nothing comes out of it you still have a back up.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:15 am
by noanykey
I had a huge reply, but shortened it as I am not a PO and everyone else is :)

It's competitive, especially VPD.

Also, you don't spend the $12K, unless you make it in first.
Unless you're talking about the LESD program at JIBC.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:31 am
by Mr. Islander
.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:33 pm
by Camshaft
Thanks for the replies. It was just a worry that if I do the JIBC and then don't get the cut. But from the sounds of it, as long as you get to the JIBC training part and pass then you are in.

Thanks again for the replies.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:34 pm
by noanykey
You don't drop a cent into the JI until you've finished all the stages of recruitment. My friend is in the academy right now, you get sworn in, get your badge then go to the academy and graduate. If you drop out or screw up, then I'm sure it's a waste of money. It wouldn't make sense for them to take your app, tell you to go to JI then start the recruiting process, heck! In block 2 you're out on the field. They wouldn't give that to someone who's not sworn in :)
At what point do you pay after being accepted, I have no idea.

You can enroll into the JI for the LESD program, then you'd pay up front and THAT course isn't a guarantee you'll get recruited, but if you do, you still have to pay the tuition to go to the academy.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm
by Fonthill
Mr. Islander wrote:
Tango5 wrote:Dude... Prior attaining the age of 17?

Forget it, apply.
That history means nothing.


I wouldn't say that his history means nothing. Things you do in your youth can, and will follow you much later in life.

Fonthill wrote:
You always have a chance. :). Chance though is like 3-4% of getting hired. Never give up if this is what you want

Good luck


3-4%? Where did you pull that number from?

noanykey wrote:I had a huge reply, but shortened it as I am not a PO and everyone else is :)

It's competitive, especially VPD.

Also, you don't spend the $12K, unless you make it in first.
Unless you're talking about the LESD program at JIBC.


Nope, no one that posted above is a police officer.

But you're right that it is competitive.


To address the OP:

All you can do is apply and lay yourself out for them to read like a book.


I am not a police officer but a "peace officer" So, I think I know what I am talking about. Lol

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:22 am
by Mr. Islander
.

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 am
by Fonthill
https://police-recruiter.com/why-the-be ... idates-don’t-always-get-hired/

I'll be real and say out of the 10% of people that get hired have some type of connection of getting in

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 pm
by EsivarT
Fonthill wrote:https://police-recruiter.com/why-the-best-police-officer-candidates-don’t-always-get-hired/

I'll be real and say out of the 10% of people that get hired have some type of connection of getting in


A blog..?

An anonymous person created a blog to discuss the fallacious reasons they believe they were denied and ignore the true fact that either:

  1. The service isn't persuaded enough with their (current) abilities and traits.
  2. They lack the necessary requirements to become a Police Officer.
  3. They didn't meet the expectations of a competitive candidate in the recruitment process.

Come on man.. don't spew bs to this guy (or girl). People on here have been trying for years and years to only get hired on. Quit pointing blame at everyone else but yourself and start improving.

OP: Just apply and find out for yourself. Like (most of) what the posters above said: go to information sessions, speak to the recruiters. They'll give the best (and probably correct) answer to what you're looking for.

Disclaimer: Not a Police Constable.