Career change to become a Police Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Re: Career change to become a Police Officer

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Fonthill wrote:https://police-recruiter.com/why-the-best-police-officer-candidates-don’t-always-get-hired/

I'll be real and say out of the 10% of people that get hired have some type of connection of getting in

Let me assure you, the connections do not help them get in, at least in these parts. I know of more than one senior officer whose son/daughter was NOT hired, despite their lobbying for them.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:36 am

Mr. Islander wrote:
Tango5 wrote:Dude... Prior attaining the age of 17?

Forget it, apply.
That history means nothing.

I wouldn't say that his history means nothing. Things you do in your youth can, and will follow you much later in life.

Who like who but.... You... I thought, could read between the lines. I guess I was wrong.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

dingmonk
Rookie Member

Postby dingmonk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:18 pm

I would say definitely apply. I emailed recruitment with my concerns and they just told me to apply and now I am a quarter of the way through the process. The percentage I was told after I completed the written exam by one the detectives is that 6-10 % get in. The JI fee is definitely not paid until you are sworn in. Study hard and prepare and go for it!

bainne
Rookie Member

Postby bainne » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:
I am a police officer... So I guess I know what I'm talking about too? Maybe even more? Where did you get the magic number of 3-4%?

Well, the RCMP throws around a number of 8%+- getting to depot, minus attrition there and you're in the 6-7% realm.

Given that many municipal services have an even lower hiring %, I'd say an aggregate successful entrance rate of 5% is a pretty good ballpark.

It definitely isn't 10%... or wasn't until the RCMP made a few adjustments to the process. If it was that nice the RCMP wouldn't have the kind of staffing problems it does.