Need help passing my wct

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Pilif
Rookie Member

Need help passing my wct

Postby Pilif » Sun May 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Hello I am doing my wct for the third time. I have been using the police prep website multiple times for practice, but I find it very frustrating that my answers never look the same like the examples that are giving. My conclusion is usually the name.

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Re: Need help passing my wct

Postby Hopeful-1 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Pilif wrote:Hello I am doing my wct for the third time. I have been using the police prep website multiple times for practice, but I find it very frustrating that my answers never look the same like the examples that are giving. My conclusion is usually the name.

Gee dude I don't know......take an English/Writing class maybe?? Hopefully 3rd times a charm. Good luck.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

rangerDan
Rookie Member

Postby rangerDan » Mon May 30, 2016 8:52 am

Pilif wrote:Hello I am doing my wct for the third time. I have been using the police prep website multiple times for practice, but I find it very frustrating that my answers never look the same like the examples that are giving. My conclusion is usually the name.

Hey,

My best advice for you is to go to your nearest chapters and buy the Police Prep Comprehensive Guide to Canadian Police Officers Exams book. It is a huge book that lets you see the examples and help you breakdown the question. It is about $55 but it is the best money you'll spend. I have been using it for years.

Cheers

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon May 30, 2016 5:19 pm

I'll save you some cash and give you the outline on how I always wrote mine.

One page was always the "rough notes". I'd break it down into categories such as: Weather, date/time, location, road conditions, vehicles/persons involved, damages, etc.

For the report itself, I wrote it similar to an essay, using the first patagraph to outline the event (IE What type of event, where it happened, when it happened, road/weather conditions). Body of it has the chronological order of events and includes person(s) or vehicle(s) involved, injuries/damages (including location and extent), as well as any evidence on scene (that would help you prove your conclusion). Final paragraph has the conclusion, with facts to prove said conclusion.

I was able to finish my WCT in under the time allotted and never had an issue.

The trick is to keep it simple, organize your "rough notes" well and not have verbal diarrhea.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon May 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Pay attention to the feedback from ATS in your letter.
They will tell you what part(s) you didn't pass, so you know where to improve and study.

If it's the spelling/grammar, then get some English learning books from the library.
If it's the conclusion, then remember what you put last time, consider it incorrect and put something different next time.
Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Tue May 31, 2016 7:15 pm

It's been a while since I've written the WCT but if it's still the multiple vehicle crash thing it's best to just keep it simple. All the information provided simply needs to be reorganized into the proper order of events. You can basically just copy every sentence word for word but in the proper order. Don't start adding in your opinions on cause, fault or consequences. The instructions don't ask for that. The instructions are simply to take the information provided and organize it into a comprehensible report of the events.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:11 pm

rangerDan wrote:It is about $55 but it is the best money you'll spend. I have been using it for years.

Cheers

Question:

If you have been using it for years, doesn't that mean you have been in the application process for years? Is it really worth the money then?

rangerDan
Rookie Member

Postby rangerDan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am

TR wrote:
rangerDan wrote:It is about $55 but it is the best money you'll spend. I have been using it for years.

Cheers

Question:

If you have been using it for years, doesn't that mean you have been in the application process for years? Is it really worth the money then?

I don't follow. If you don't get accepted to a force/organization then you need to update your WCT every 3 years. Using the book will help refresh your skills at passing the WCT again if/when you need to re-certify.

EsivarT
Rookie Member

Postby EsivarT » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:23 pm

TR wrote:

Cheers

Question:

If you're determined to become a competitive applicant then money should not really matter. At least that's how I see it.

Sorry if that's not what you meant.
York Auxiliary