Life as an RCMP officer in the West

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jessew
Rookie Member

Re: Life as an RCMP officer in the West

Postby Jessew » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Yup. Buffalo would do it. Probably could snag it cheaper too. Again, can't guarantee more than a living room
K-Div RM

Valiante
Rookie Member

Postby Valiante » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 pm

azims wrote:If a cadet ends up in LDP or postings where theres alot of on call. and happens to be single, then he/she is making some serious cash and heavily subsidized force housing is icing on the cake. 115k to 120k a year is quite common. Smart ones will work their butt off for their first 3 to 4 years and save up tones of cash...

So I'm guessing Surrey and the surrounding area is not considered "LDP"? But it must have a lot of on call I suppose.
Given the ridiculous prices in BC, is the amount of Force housing increasing in areas around Vancouver? What are the chances of a single cadet getting Forced housing in and around that area?

If anyone could please shed some light on what moving from my home province to BC will be like, specifically will the RCMP move my car too or do I have to drive it everywhere? :shock:

SullyBrown
Rookie Member

Postby SullyBrown » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:01 pm

Valiante wrote:
azims wrote:If a cadet ends up in LDP or postings where theres alot of on call. and happens to be single, then he/she is making some serious cash and heavily subsidized force housing is icing on the cake. 115k to 120k a year is quite common. Smart ones will work their butt off for their first 3 to 4 years and save up tones of cash...

So I'm guessing Surrey and the surrounding area is not considered "LDP"? But it must have a lot of on call I suppose.
Given the ridiculous prices in BC, is the amount of Force housing increasing in areas around Vancouver? What are the chances of a single cadet getting Forced housing in and around that area?

If anyone could please shed some light on what moving from my home province to BC will be like, specifically will the RCMP move my car too or do I have to drive it everywhere? :shock:

I have been told that vehicle relocation is covered by the RCMP.

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 am

SullyBrown wrote:
Valiante wrote:If anyone could please shed some light on what moving from my home province to BC will be like, specifically will the RCMP move my car too or do I have to drive it everywhere? :shock:

I have been told that vehicle relocation is covered by the RCMP.

The RCMP will pay for one vehicle to be moved. Additional vehicles (including boats, RVs, ATVs and motorcycles) are the responsibility of the member.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

SullyBrown
Rookie Member

Postby SullyBrown » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Depot Web wrote:The RCMP will pay for one vehicle to be moved. Additional vehicles (including boats, RVs, ATVs and motorcycles) are the responsibility of the member.

Thanks for the clarification. One question, is vehicle re location covered each time RCMP requires it's employee to relocated? Or only the initial relocation out of depot?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
After doing lots of research on West coast living costs, I've realized there are many affordable options.
The two million dollar Vancouver entry level home is not the norm, yay!! :mrgreen:
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 pm

SullyBrown wrote:
Depot Web wrote:The RCMP will pay for one vehicle to be moved. Additional vehicles (including boats, RVs, ATVs and motorcycles) are the responsibility of the member.

Thanks for the clarification. One question, is vehicle re location covered each time RCMP requires it's employee to relocated? Or only the initial relocation out of depot?

If approved by the relocation coordinator, yes, moving vehicles is covered. They will consider the distance, the number of vehicles, if there are roads to the posting and other factors when making this determination. These later moves actually have more of the costs covered.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 pm

bainne wrote:There's always Alberta. Lot's of good places to wind up, maybe a bit less oversight from copious layers of management because of the many rural posts, you really feel like your own boss. Aside from the once booming oil towns housing is much more reasonable. Especially right now, you'll actually make money in 5 years when you sell. Also plenty of reserve policing to keep you busy and have some good investigations.

Don't put the cart before the horse. You need to get in to Depot and get halfway throught before you can even think about choosing a province. Most people from ON get what they want because the mentality is "they can't go home at all" so they get a bit of preference in their picks

Is there any truth to this or this might be on case by case basis?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed May 24, 2017 10:11 am

VanSmack wrote:
stribor45 wrote:
Most people from ON get what they want because the mentality is "they can't go home at all" so they get a bit of preference in their picks

No, there isn't.

Absolutely no truth to what bainne said in that quote.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 am

stribor45 wrote:
bainne wrote:There's always Alberta. Lot's of good places to wind up, maybe a bit less oversight from copious layers of management because of the many rural posts, you really feel like your own boss. Aside from the once booming oil towns housing is much more reasonable. Especially right now, you'll actually make money in 5 years when you sell. Also plenty of reserve policing to keep you busy and have some good investigations.

Don't put the cart before the horse. You need to get in to Depot and get halfway throught before you can even think about choosing a province. Most people from ON get what they want because the mentality is "they can't go home at all" so they get a bit of preference in their picks

Wasn't the case in my troop. Some people did. Some didn't.
K division.

charlie2
Rookie Member

Postby charlie2 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Same with my troop. Some people got what they asked for. Some didn't. Can't please everyone, unfortunately.

I got exactly what I asked for, but not where I asked for, if that makes sense lol

Where I am posted wasn't even a place I listed

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed May 24, 2017 1:55 pm

charlie2 wrote:Same with my troop. Some people got what they asked for. Some didn't. Can't please everyone, unfortunately.

I got exactly what I asked for, but not where I asked for, if that makes sense lol

Where I am posted wasn't even a place I listed

I got my division and a top 10 choice for detachment that in hindsight, was actually a better place in many ways than some of the other places I had higher on my list.
K division.