Life as an RCMP officer in the West

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
azims
Veteran Member

Re: Life as an RCMP officer in the West

Postby azims » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Last edited by azims on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CurtK
Rookie Member

Postby CurtK » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Surrey is not that bad in terms of cost...

I'm from Surrey and currently posted in rural SK (F Div). Our expenses back home were only about $1,000 a month more than here in SK. You can also get a decent home (town house) in some good areas for about $300,000 - $350,000. Just don't be reckless with your money.

And I agree Surrey gets a worse rating than it deserves. Most parts of Surrey that are not next to major transit hubs (such as Newton and Surrey Central) are pretty decent and family oriented.

Good luck.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:01 pm

CurtK wrote:Surrey is not that bad in terms of cost...

I'm from Surrey and currently posted in rural SK (F Div). Our expenses back home were only about $1,000 a month more than here in SK. You can also get a decent home (town house) in some good areas for about $300,000 - $350,000. Just don't be reckless with your money.

And I agree Surrey gets a worse rating than it deserves. Most parts of Surrey that are not next to major transit hubs (such as Newton and Surrey Central) are pretty decent and family oriented.

Good luck.

When did you leave?

Just last 12 months prices of houses doubled.
But, you are right and like I said, you can buy a town house for 350 but not anywhere close to a "good" area.

The whole D1 and D3 isn't considered good at all. Saying that, all parts have 'better' and worst.

Edit: (12 months) > or the last 2 years or so. Especially in the 'better' parts.
In here, houses in 2012 were selling for upper 700's, now... Try 1.2 to 1.5 for an old house.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

CurtK
Rookie Member

Postby CurtK » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:15 pm

Tango5 wrote:
CurtK wrote:Surrey is not that bad in terms of cost...

Good luck.

When did you leave?

Just last 12 months prices of houses doubled.
But, you are right and like I said, you can buy a town house for 350 but not anywhere close to a "good" area.

The whole D1 and D3 isn't considered good at all. Saying that, all parts have 'better' and worst.

Edit: (12 months) > or the last 2 years or so.

I left about a year ago. We bought our place 5 years ago for about $296,000. It's now worth maybe $340,000. Town houses and Condos have not doubled... Only detached properties with actual land.

I guess the definition of "good area" needs to be defined. If you're thinking the only good areas are Morgan Creek, South Surrey etc then fair enough. But places like Fleetwood and Cloverdale are decent and still some what affordable areas.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Fair enough.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:30 pm

What I find interesting is a fact where a house was listed in my area at 1.150mil in February 2016, sold at asking price.. Then re-listed in April at 1.280 and sold in 8 days for 1.430.

Someone made 280k in two months. Unreal!

modi13
Rookie Member

Postby modi13 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm

How about a perspective on life in Alberta? What are things like in rural communities, communities neighbouring big cities, like Airdrie, and urban centres, like Red Deer?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

modi13 wrote:How about a perspective on life in Alberta? What are things like in rural communities, communities neighbouring big cities, like Airdrie, and urban centres, like Red Deer?

I'd be curious too as this is the area id like to work.
K division.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:09 am

I'd also like to hear more about BC and AB, also the rest of the provinces.
For new depot members, how was it? What was the most challenging?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Jessew
Rookie Member

Postby Jessew » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:43 pm

I don't know about rural areas but I'm posted in Red Deer and I love it. Enough going on to keep you busy at work but not so much you can't keep up.
The city itself has tons of outdoor spaces, trails, parks etc, and lots to do within a few hours drive. Edmonton is only an hour and a half up the road, Calgary isn't much farther.
I wasn't sure about Red Deer when I found out I was going but I'd recommend it for sure. Especially for anyone wanting to do city policing.
K-Div RM

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:36 pm

azims wrote:If a cadet ends up in LDP or postings where theres alot of on call. and happens to be single, then he/she is making some serious cash and heavily subsidized force housing is icing on the cake. 115k to 120k a year is quite common. Smart ones will work their butt off for their first 3 to 4 years and save up tones of cash...

Hi Azims
Where would these kinds of LDP postings? Would you happen to know that or that's just a luck that there is alot of on call?
How does subsidized housing works?

:)

oldunclehue
Seasoned Member

Postby oldunclehue » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:25 pm

stribor45 wrote:
azims wrote:If a cadet ends up in LDP or postings where theres alot of on call. and happens to be single, then he/she is making some serious cash and heavily subsidized force housing is icing on the cake. 115k to 120k a year is quite common. Smart ones will work their butt off for their first 3 to 4 years and save up tones of cash...

Hi Azims
Where would these kinds of LDP postings? Would you happen to know that or that's just a luck that there is alot of on call?

LDPs are in all provinces, spread out usually in the south and less desirable places.

Force housing is force owned and rent can be very reasonable depending on location, I had a 3 bed two bath nice house for $350 a month at my last post. Single members don't pay hydro/water. With a family you do.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 pm

oldunclehue wrote:
stribor45 wrote:

Hi Azims

LDPs are in all provinces, spread out usually in the North and less desirable places.

Force housing is force owned and rent can be very reasonable depending on location, I had a 3 bed two bath nice house for $350 a month at my last post. Single members don't pay hydro/water. With a family you do.

Corrected. All of you are welcome.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:00 am

So I can't get $350/month rent in red deer?
K division.

Jessew
Rookie Member

Postby Jessew » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm sure you could, but I wouldn't guarantee that it would even have more than a room with a bed.
K-Div RM