Corrections Ontario or OPG NSO position?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
gks07
Rookie Member

Corrections Ontario or OPG NSO position?

Postby gks07 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey so I've been a long time reader on this site and now I need some help/opinion on making a decision.

I have received an offer from Corrections Ontario and I have also received an offer from OPG as a NSO in Pickering. The pay rate for both is roughly the same at the moment since the OPG is a contract position where I get deducted a number of dollars a hour and don't have any benefits. I was told that a contract employee does move up to permeant full-time pretty quick as an NSO or NRT and the pay jumps up dramatically, and I'm aware at corrections there are a lot of hours to work and OT.

For the long run in terms of stability and income which one would you guys think is a better choice? I am so confused at the moment and don't know which one I should take and not regret after.

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

peps
Rookie Member

Re: Corrections Ontario or OPG NSO position?

Postby peps » Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 pm

If this was me, No question I would be going OPG!!!!!
CX II

Proteus
Rookie Member

Postby Proteus » Fri May 13, 2016 2:11 pm

They're both starkly different jobs, what do you think you'll enjoy doing more in a long-term career? Although, seeing as you applied for both, are you possibly building experience for a future career in policing? If you aren't planning on making either job your long-term career then stability doesn't really matter right now and the NSO job is a no-brainer.

Another thought for consideration is that it could be argued that the NSO position is 'more competitive'. You could take the NSO job now while you can and return to corrections in the future if your contract isn't renewed or if you simply don't like the job.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Not to sound cynical about Ont. Corrections, but... OPG is a better opportunity by far.

Especially if you're a younger person with many working years ahead of you.
There are few opportunities for real, meaningful advancement in Corrections. It's too political and just stupid.

'Forgive my ire... It's been a long week.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

gks07
Rookie Member

Postby gks07 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:56 pm

I think I would like OPG more based on the job itself and the training that comes with it, as you say it looks more competitive and specialized than corrections . I am not sure but in the long run I believe OPG employees are compensated more than corrections even though corrections is a government job.

I was planning on going into policing but with all these cut backs and budget talks I have steered away from it. I would rather stay at corrections or OPG for long term and move up within the organization.

Would corrections give me another shot if I was to reject the offer and training that is coming up? Bitterman maybe you would have a better understanding of this.

The only thing that I am uneasy about is the whole "contract" employment at OPG but again I've heard from others that OPG usually keeps everyone who stays there. Bitterman thank you for your reply and honesty regarding corrections, all I've ever got back from others is how its great because of the OT and the position being under the government.

Thank you everyone for you're suggestions!

Nuke
Rookie Member

Postby Nuke » Sat May 14, 2016 10:09 pm

I think I would like OPG more based on the job itself and the training that comes with it, as you say it looks more competitive and specialized than corrections . I am not sure but in the long run I believe OPG employees are compensated more than corrections even though corrections is a government job.

Nuclear Security is much harder to get into then Ontario Corrections. If you have an offer, take it. It will roll over to full time and eventually a position as NRT which will pay much better than corrections. OPG is also a government organization...

I was planning on going into policing but with all these cut backs and budget talks I have steered away from it. I would rather stay at corrections or OPG for long term and move up within the organization.

Would corrections give me another shot if I was to reject the offer and training that is coming up? Bitterman maybe you would have a better understanding of this.

You can defer an offer twice, if you refuse on the 3rd call for a class your file will be closed.

The only thing that I am uneasy about is the whole "contract" employment at OPG but again I've heard from others that OPG usually keeps everyone who stays there. Bitterman thank you for your reply and honesty regarding corrections, all I've ever got back from others is how its great because of the OT and the position being under the government.

Ontario corrections is also casual/contract work with slim possibilities of a full time position anytime quick.

My advice is take OPG!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you everyone for you're suggestions!

gks07
Rookie Member

Postby gks07 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:32 am

Nuke thanks for the reply I appreciate it. I accepted the CO offer before I got the OPG one so can I still call them up and defer it? I think I am going to take the OPG and be optimistic about getting full-time into the NRT as long as I pass the testing for it.

smitty
Veteran Member

Postby smitty » Sun May 15, 2016 1:51 pm

OPG

No-Brainer IMO

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I'll try to help here's corrections :banghead: and here's OPG :sniper:

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 am

Two rather different jobs but I think Corrections also starts PT or casual and works into ft like someone mentioned OPG does. It depends then what you want out of the job and what drives you. If you want to help one con make a change that keeps him out of he system longer and not offending as much and are ok with that happening once every year or so then go with corrections. If you prefer pure security and safety without 1/3 of those you interact with being sociopaths and the other 2/3 s being adults who act like preschoolers then go with OPG.

I cant speak for ON Corrections but MB Corrections would be fine with you pulling out of the class. Likely they would prefer it before you started the training anyhow as hey can then fill the spot. Pretty sure you could apply again with no issue.

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Wed May 18, 2016 3:17 pm

smitty wrote:OPG

No-Brainer IMO

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!