*** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
a-ulrich
Rookie Member

Re: *** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby a-ulrich » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 am

Hello, I will be returning to Canada (From Switzerland) to apply for the RCMP, however after lurking here a bit I found this:

Zephyr13 wrote:
Hi everyone

I have just heard from an RCMP recruitment adviser that my application will not be progressing and I am both confused and disappointed, and I would really appreciate any thoughts.

To give a bit of background, I am Canadian born citizen currently living in the UK. I have lived in the UK for the past 15 years with the first 25 of my life in Canada. I have been told that since I have not lived in Canada for 7 of the past 10 years that I would fail security clearance and my application would not be progressed. I was very confused by this as there is no mention of this requirement on the recruitment page or when applying. When I queried this with the recruitment adviser I was told the following -

This is a Departmental Security policy and not a Recruiting policy. I have been provided the following information: Due to the applicant's extended stay outside of Canada, the mandatory previous seven years of background checks for the required Secret Clearance cannot be completed, as per Departmental Security Policy SM-App. 1-6-1 Mandatory Checks for RCMP Secret and Top Secret Clearances. It has been determined that this file would not proceed due to the applicant's limited amount of time residing in Canada. This concern will conclude this application for a minimum period ending (a date is established once lived in country) This period of time will allow the applicant to re-apply and establish himself in Canada.

This was very disappointing to read and I cannot understand why if this is true, why it would not be clearly stated at some point in the application process. It has taken me 4+ months of preparation just to get to the stage of applying (laser eye surgery, flights to Canada to get eye and hearing tests) plus several thousand dollars. It does mention on the site that you need to have lived in Canada for the past 10 years, though this only applies to individuals with permanent residence status and not to Canadian citizens. I also would have imagined that Canada and the UK would have a reciprocal agreement in place for sharing intelligence.

I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with this and whether it is worth pursuing further or if I should just cut my losses and pack it in.

Is this true? That if I have not lived in Canada for the past 7 years I will not pass the SC? If yes, why does the RCMP recruitment info state that Canadians that live abroad can apply?

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for my lengthy delay in responding and posting anything here. I'm having a lot of trouble logging in to the forum and actually responding to posts. To answer a couple of questions:

1) regarding Canadian citizens living aboard, recruiting as mentioned has not involvement with the security clearance. There are also some circumstances where Canadian citizens who have lived aboard for extended periods of time can be issued a security clearance. Each applicant's individual "story" is looked at. That is why there is no blanket restriction.

2) for for the ATS system being issued to process applicants. This system is in the midst of becoming operationally used by recruiting advisers. So we would ask for a bit of patience on that front. Applicants should be getting an a minimum an email through Epost from their advisers every 30 days. That is the Processing Centers policy. Now that email may simply say that the application is still being processed and that the adviser doesn't have any further information, but that is the standard the Processing Center is working with. If you haven't heard from your advisers in over 30 days, I would encourage you to reach out to them. There are no issues with doing that, but be aware that you may simply be told your application is still being processed.

Imran

livinthelife
Rookie Member

Postby livinthelife » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info about the tracking system. My EPost was shut down by one analyst and then I moved forward in the process to the RMAQ phone call phase with another analyst who has since used email. I will touch base as you suggest.

Remainunknown
Rookie Member

Postby Remainunknown » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi and thank you for this Michelle and company,

I posted this in another section of the forums hoping to get answers from a recruiter with no success.. i realize this is a long stretch but if anyone can enlighten me since i will do anything i can to join the force, my life is stable, purchased a house, got engaged etc, anyhow here is it and thank you for any inputs you can give me :)

I am applying for the rcmp, to become an officer and i plan on being 100% honest and transparent.

See what i was wondering is, if in the pass, i have done drugs, mdma 5-6 times, speed around 10 times extacy a few times and tried cocaine 3-5 times... i was in a experimental faze, i do recognize what ive done will probably make it harder for me to get in, but ive learnt from my mistakes and i have not done any drugs at all for 4+ years.

The reason i ask is if im completly going to be skipped because of this then i will not waste anyones time for this matter, but if i still have chances (still young 24 years old) then i will prove that i do belong in the force... im completly open if i need to answer more questions or clarify please ask. I want to thank anyone that helps me.

RU

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm

HI remainunknown,

first, thank you for your honesty here. We look for honesty throughout the application process. As for your question, as recruiters we tell applicants to have one year free of any illicit drug use before applying. The longer the time frame between last usage and application obviously the better. We do not have hard and fast rules as every applicant's history is looked at on a case by case basis. So I would definitely encourage you to apply if you feel you're ready and continue to be honest throughout the application process

Good luck
Imran

Leeworthy
Rookie Member

Postby Leeworthy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Good afternoon. Quick question, I noticed that on the friends and associates form it asks for 5 friends (not relatives or related to you, and. O people just from work). I don’t have many people I consider friends. Two for sure that I know from work and chum around with when the stars align between family and work.

Is this a deal breaker? or do I just explain that people I knew were wanting to party all the time, get drunk or do drugs and I preferred to focus my attention on my family as they are my priority.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

Remainunknown
Rookie Member

Postby Remainunknown » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am

Thank you so much for your reply Imran.

Definetly honesty is the most important asset, if one cannot be 100% honest and transparent, he cna never be trusted.

Mistakes we’re made, but it does not define the person i am today. Im glad to hear this respond and looking forward to the process :)

alcar13
Rookie Member

Postby alcar13 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi,

I have read that file coordinators should be contacting you at least once a month , even if to say there is no update.

My FC last emailed on Sept 18. I emailed her on Oct 19 to touch base, and I still have not received a response...

I understand that FC’s are busy and have a lot of applicants to juggle, but my question is should I be worried that she has not responded?

Thanks!
ON Applicant

~TROOP 2 ~

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:56 pm

There's a couple of posts I wanted to answer here.

Leeworthy- had a question about the friends and associates. I would suggest contacting your advisor just to make sure they know. I can tell you from my experience as an applicant. I didn't know my neighbours and for the most part they didn't know me. I kept to myself. So it was tough to have a neighbour reference but I explained it as such and here I am.

And alcar13- the recruiters have all been assured that the recruiting advisors are contacting their applicants every 30 days. If you haven't heard from yours definitively contact them. If you have and haven't gotten a response try again or send the generic Ontario recruiting email a message and we'll pass it along. You're not causing any problems and this won't effect your application at all. I know apicsmts tend to be a little scared of asking for an update but it's understandable that you would and not a problem.

chmor
Rookie Member

Postby chmor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:59 am

Good day Imran,

I have a question for you. Who is it that decides what stage the applicant is reinserted after a deferral? Is it the provincial recruiters or does it get passed back to processing center in Regina for that decision?

Thank you

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:48 am

Hi chmor,

Recruiters in the province like myself only do proactive duties. We do not deal with applicants files at all. So when a deferred applicant reapplies, their new file is merged with their old file at the processing centre and the processing centre deals with where the applicant goes next.

Hopefully that helped
Imran

EastCoast1
Rookie Member

Postby EastCoast1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi Imran,

I’m 43 years old , in great physical shape and really considering applying . I have been living with a rcmp member for a few years and could definitely see myself in that position.

My question is I have a past . 15 years ago I sold drugs and was arrested, charged and convicted . Sentenced and did some time .

I take full responsibility for my actions. Since then lived an honest life , got a degree with honors , got certified in a trade and started my own company out west .

Got a pardon. Don’t want to waste anyone’s time by pursuing something that would be impossible to obtain with a past like mine .

Never had issues with the law before or after .

Thanks for your time .

Steph

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:44 pm

EastCoast1 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 pm
Thank you , we had heard some stories but it’s a touchy subject to discuss.

Some things follow us for life ...
I would be worried for your partner's security clearance.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Stripes
Rookie Member

Postby Stripes » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:07 am

EastCoast1 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:12 pm
No Bs all truth . People Change .
If you actually got a pardon, then your past sins have actually been forgiven to the point where it would actually be illegal to hold that previous conviction against you... with that said, you likely also did a bunch of things that you weren’t caught for while you were in the drug selling game. Those undetected crimes will be your downfall, as you’ll have to completely come clean. You may be held accountable for those undetected crimes after the polygraph disclosure/exam. Sales and the various other crimes that go along with life in the game, are serious.

In short, if you sold drugs one single time, got caught, convicted, served time, and got it pardoned... you’re fine. Past sin has been forgiven. Go ahead and apply without worry. But if you have some other skeletons (very likely) along the same lines, that you haven’t been held to account for, I’d really consider the implications of applying. If you admit to serious crimes that haven’t been detected, you may then be charged for them.

I applaud you for turning it around, and getting pardoned. But you and I both know there were likely some other things you got away with. The drug game is no joke, so you were probably mixed up with some bad stuff. That stuff will come out, and would likely be your downfall.

Good luck with your choice and everything going forward.
V Division