*** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

*** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Sgt. Michelle Welsh, I am a RCMP Recruiter for Ontario. I have been a member for 19 years, working in BC and Ontario.

Our Recruiting unit in Ontario wish to be more accessible to our Ontario applicants. Our goal is to answer questions, provide assistance and advice as much as we can. We want you to succeed! We would also like to find out what is working with our application process and what isn't. We are looking for feedback from our applicants, and please feel free to be brutally honest about it. We want to improve our process and provide feedback to the National Recruiting Program.

The account won't just be monitored by myself, but by other Recruiters in the unit to ensure we are providing adequate response times to your questions. We can provide answers in either official language.

We will be active on this thread - "RCMP Ontario applicants"! Just to provide some guidelines, If you wish to discuss a specific issue regarding your file, we request a PM, as we need to verify your identity before we discuss specific aspects of your file.

We are new to the forum world, so please be patient with us!

Also, you can get a hold of us via our toll free phone line at :

1-877-726-7472

or email us at
Rcmp_recruiting@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

We are looking forward to getting to know you!

Michelle

ExVee
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP Ontario applicants

Postby ExVee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Michelle and co,

Thanks for offering your time to answer any of our questions.

An obstacle with Ontario RCMP recruiting a lot of us have dealt with or are currently dealing with, as opposed to other provinces/territories is/was the giant delay in MEDICAL/PSYCH appointments.
Being on this forum, Ontarians are watching RCMP applicants from BC/Alberta have a wait time of 1-2 months for their PSYCH/MEDICAL to be completed, while we in Ontario are waiting 4, 5 or 6 months or more for ours to be completed.
Now in regards to that, I have 2 questions.

1. What exactly has caused this huge backlog of PSYCH/MEDICAL appointments? Is it a mix between lack of resources and the giant push to hire more and receive more applicants thus clogging the process?

2. Why are applicants not allowed to travel to complete their PSYCH/MEDICALS elsewhere? From my understanding in Ottawa there is only 1 RCMP Psychologist and 1 RCMP Physician. Surely this is in part to blame for the delay.

Hopefully you can shed some light on this topic.
Thanks again!
CP: April 2014
RPAB: Oct 2014
SP: Dec 2014
RMAQ: March 2015
RMSI: May 2015
PARE - 3:21: July 2015
PEP: Sept-Nov 2015
BGI: Nov 2015
SUIT: January 2016
Psych: March 2016
Medical: April 2016
SC: April 2016
Troop 4 - May 16

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:53 am

Hi ExVee,

Thanks for your question, I have been lurking on the forums for a bit now and I have recognized the delay in the Medical and Suitability stages. I have brought this to the attention of National Recruiting Program(NRP) and they are quite aware of the delay and are making steps to rectify it.

Out of all the Divisions, “O” Division has the most applicants (excluding “E” Div), so due to the volume of applications there is a delay from that end. Ontario has a third of Canada’s population here, so it is competitive to acquire a medical professionals to assist with our process. An applicant is required to attend a medical professional that is a part of our Recruiting process medical team. The medical professionals need to be aware of our process and specific testing procedures.

The reason applicants do not travel for the medical clearance is the RCMP covers the cost for medical clearance and that includes travel, in order to keep the costs low, applicants are to attend the closest identified RCMP medical location.

No doubt, you are all aware about the recent (and sometime frustrating) changes to our process. These changes are all to streamline our applications process, ideally to 6 months. Last year, “O” Division had over 3000 applications; this year it is half that, due to the changes in the process (Front end hearing/vision required from the applicant now). This change in our process, has decreased our applications, but hopefully has increased the number of ‘serious’ applicants. This in turn will decrease the number of applicants heading to the medical/suitability stage, which will result in a faster processing through those stages.
However, the changes we make now, requires time to make a difference. So what I have wrote does not help you - the current applicant, (frustrating I get it!), but hopefully it will help the future “O” Division applicants.

To answer your question, we are aware and sympathize with the situation. There is movement on many fronts to speed up our process, but right now you won’t see the benefits of these changes. So as annoying as it sounds, please be patient with us, hang in there, I guarantee it is worth it!

And thank you Shawshank for looking out for us!

Michelle

ExVee
Rookie Member

Postby ExVee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks!
I very much appreciate the honesty and swiftness of your response.
CP: April 2014
RPAB: Oct 2014
SP: Dec 2014
RMAQ: March 2015
RMSI: May 2015
PARE - 3:21: July 2015
PEP: Sept-Nov 2015
BGI: Nov 2015
SUIT: January 2016
Psych: March 2016
Medical: April 2016
SC: April 2016
Troop 4 - May 16

chg07
Rookie Member

Postby chg07 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to do this, it is very much appreciated by all of us on here. I just had a few quick questions for you.

1. I was recently recommended to move on after passing my PEP interview and was told I would be receiving a new file coordinator for the rest of the process. Why is this? And what's a reasonable amount of time I could expect to hear from the new FC?

2. I have been reviewing my friends and associates/character references and have been considering change a couple of these to different individuals. I have lost touch with a few I had originally listed and thought it would be a good idea to provide names of others I currently associate with. My question is would changing a few of these names be looked at negatively in any way by recruiting?

Once again, thank you for your time!
SP - Sent Oct 2015
RMAQ - Nov 11/2015
RMSI - Dec 30/2015 - Passed
PARE - Jan 23/2016 - 3:39
PEP - Feb 15/2016
PEP Rec. - Mar 9/2016
Psych - Mar 24/2016
Med - April 13/2016
BGI - Complete April 27/2016
SR - May 4th
SC - Ongoing
Troop 8

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: RCMP Ontario applicants ***Ask an O Div Recruiter!***

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Welcome Sgt. Welsh :wave:

I've gone ahead and made this thread a sticky for you, so it will remain in the top batch of threads with the other stickies.

Wayne
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you Wayne for your thoughtfulness, it is appreciated.

I normally work day shifts so I will be responding to most of the inquiries during the day, if you don't get an immediate response to your question, don't think I am ignoring you.

I did receive everyone's PM and I will respond to those on Friday, I am off tomorrow, as I need to celebrate St. Patty's Day!

chg07 - Congrats on moving to the next stage, which is background/medical. At these stages the processing Recruiters have a specific skill set unique to each stage, that is why your file coordinator changes. If you can PM me with your applicant ID and some info to verify your identity, I can inquire to see what your status is and who your file handler is. Your 2nd question - no, changing your associates, references or updating your information is normal and not deemed unusual. Due to the fact our application process is so long, many applicants change their employment, move or their associates move, thus the need to update the information. I would provide your previous file coordinator with an updated list of your associates/references and provide a brief explanation as to why you changed them.

Shawshank - I don't mean to intrude on the flow of the current Blueline forum. As a Recruiting unit, we just thought the best way to provide advice and dissuade misconceptions is to "speak" directly to the applicants. We knew the Blueline forum was very popular among applicants. It is a good way to keep track of our applicants and at the same time get feedback on our process. So feel free to discuss anything "O" Div related on this forum, as I can't speak for other Divisions, just the best one! :D

Have a good night everyone, I will be back on Friday.

Michelle

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 pm

Welcome to Blueline Michelle!
It's a great asset to have recruiting staff helping applicants :)
We are all very appreciative of you and your team sharing your time to help us out.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Haya19
Rookie Member

Re: *** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby Haya19 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:16 pm

In regards to long waits for a medical appointment I would suggest the route I took.

I was contacted in early February for an appointment in late May. I wrote back to let my coordinator know that I'm willing to travel to get an earlier appointment date. I was booked for an appointment in early March instead! The appointment was a 5 hour drive away but it was certainly worth it to get it done.

Don't be afraid to ask your coordinators questions, they're there to help you :)

Watchdogmp
Rookie Member

Postby Watchdogmp » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Good Day Sgt and welcome on BlueLine,

I have few question.

I was told the final review takes about 1 month and the security certificate takes also 1 month to get. Are those only windows of time or actual 30 days?

What is actually the Final review? I'm under the impression a third person is going through the hole file juste to make sure every paper, documentation and each recommendation about every steps is okay. Is it only an administrative step to finalize the pers file.

Thanks

Watchdogmp
Reg: 62939 (lateral)

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome mack_silent!

That is a very good suggestion Haya19. If you have the means and abilities it could not hurt to offer an alternative idea! Your Processing Recruiters are extremely busy but their top priority is to move your file forward, so you are absolutely right they are to help, just ask!

Hi Watchdogmp, final review is a very good stage to be in! You are absolutely right, it involves a review of the applicants file from front to back, to ensure nothing was missed and all the documents were in its place. It is a last look at the applicant and the information and to ensure all is in place.

Michelle

Watchdogmp
Rookie Member

Postby Watchdogmp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Ont. RCMP Recruiter wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome mack_silent!

Hi Watchdogmp, final review is a very good stage to be in! You are absolutely right, it involves a review of the applicants file from front to back, to ensure nothing was missed and all the documents were in its place. It is a last look at the applicant and the information and to ensure all is in place.

Michelle

Thanks you very much Michelle for your information. I'm not assuming it's a done deal but if we think this administrative step is to validate, by a third person every stages that were done by an investigator and validated by a second investigator, I can only think the FReview should take less then a month fo go through the whole file.

From my FC, the next stage should be the security unit to get my security clearance certificate. The investigation was done already and I already have a Level 3 TS where I work from Can Gov. From what I was told, the time frame should be 30 days for each step. That means I am planning a call around 15 May. More to follow in few weeks.

Again thanks and welcome on the forum.

Watchdogmp
Reg: 62939 (lateral)

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Watchdogmp,

Sounds like you are on the final lap of the application journey. Sometimes Security clearance go smoothly and sometimes they are delayed it is impossible to guess which route your file will go. But all good things come to those who wait!

Regina in the summer is very, very hot, but very, very pretty!

Michelle

Gatsy92
Rookie Member

Postby Gatsy92 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Hey Michelle.
My health file was supposed to being reviewed and signed off last week and I was supposed to hear last Thursday. Is it the doctor at Health Services that signs off or does it go elsewhere. I did my medicals at the newmarket detachment.
09.17.2015 RPAB
10.17.2015 RMAQ
11.09.2015 RMSI
11.18.2015 PARE
12.07.2015 PEP
01.20.2016 PEP Rec
01.29.2016 BGI
02.23.2016 Psych
02.23.2016 Suit
03.09.2016 Med
03.23.2016 Med Clearance
04.22.2016 SC
Troop 4
F Division

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi Gatsy,

It is our Doctor that reviews your file and a Health Services Clerk who ensures all your documents are in place. For all Federal Gov't it is fiscal year end March 31st, so all sections are very busy right now, with budget balancing, assessments, year end tallying, so no doubt this would affect you hearing from Health Services, or perhaps they are waiting on a lab result to return, with Easter and fiscal year end, I would not be too concerned about a minor delay.

Michelle