Psych interview

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
spooky
Rookie Member

Psych interview

Postby spooky » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:28 pm

I went to a psych interview the other day and had some questions. First off, I didn't see anything anywhere about not speaking about that interview. I assume I'm wrong though so does anyone know whether or not the psych interview can be discussed?

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Re: Psych interview

Postby Vitulla » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Ask your question, if you can't be answered here someone can PM you

ng67
Rookie Member

Postby ng67 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:35 pm

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to talk about it. I would just be careful with personal information on a public forum if I were you.
RCMP / E-Div
Constable

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:44 pm

I'll keep it vague, just in case.

The entire interview was really weird. I showed up for my appointment 20 minutes early and nobody was there. I waited till 3 minutes past my time and then called. The psychiatrist answered and I asked whether or not I was in the right place. They asked for the address, I gave it to them, they said " I guess you're in the right place." Five minutes later they came out and took me into the office. I answered questions regarding family, history, etc. Had them ask some questions which I went into great detail about. The entire time I got a level of attitude like they had something better to do. I asked a question regarding the level of detail they wanted me to go into and got a very challenging reply and then they said "you've got about 30 seconds left to answer this." After that they said thanks and that was it. On the way out I said thanks and extended my hand for a shake. They left me hanging so I smiled and walked out.

The entire interview was very strange. I don't know if it's like that by design or if they were just extremely unprofessional. Certainly they wouldn't have any return clients if they constantly acted like that.

As of now I still have not heard whether or not I passed. I don't know if I will or if I'll just get the letter saying try again. After that, I'm expecting a letter. I went from being elated at finally passing the ECI to confusion and almost despair about this psych interview. I have no idea what to think.

Sniper1
Rookie Member

Postby Sniper1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:55 pm

spooky wrote:I'll keep it vague, just in case.

The entire interview was really weird. I showed up for my appointment 20 minutes early and nobody was there. I waited till 3 minutes past my time and then called. The psychiatrist answered and I asked whether or not I was in the right place. They asked for the address, I gave it to them, they said " I guess you're in the right place." Five minutes later they came out and took me into the office. I answered questions regarding family, history, etc. Had them ask some questions which I went into great detail about. The entire time I got a level of attitude like they had something better to do. I asked a question regarding the level of detail they wanted me to go into and got a very challenging reply and then they said "you've got about 30 seconds left to answer this." After that they said thanks and that was it. On the way out I said thanks and extended my hand for a shake. They left me hanging so I smiled and walked out.

The entire interview was very strange. I don't know if it's like that by design or if they were just extremely unprofessional. Certainly they wouldn't have any return clients if they constantly acted like that.

As of now I still have not heard whether or not I passed. I don't know if I will or if I'll just get the letter saying try again. After that, I'm expecting a letter. I went from being elated at finally passing the ECI to confusion and almost despair about this psych interview. I have no idea what to think.

that's messed up :ponder: and this is for what force?
8)

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:58 pm

spooky wrote:I'll keep it vague, just in case.

Is this for RCMP or CBSA?
I watched a few videos on YouTube and there's one from New York talking about the psych exam and how the interviewer might not shake your hand to see your reaction. I had my CBSA psych meeting yesterday and the gentlemen was very pleasant, but who knows. If it's for the RCMP, I wouldn't be too worried, it could of been done purposely to see your reactions

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:11 pm

I think there was a lot done to see what I'd do. This interview was for a service in Ontario. I'd prefer not to say specifically which.

I just watched the NY video. I dressed professionally, but not in a suit. Oops. I still think I did alright with the rest of it though. I didn't know exactly what they were looking for. If they're looking for specific answers, I'm sunk. If they were looking at how I presented myself, I think I have a shot still.

I'd assume I'll either get a call regarding my background process or I'll get a letter saying thanks but no thanks. Anyone care to weigh in?

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:23 pm

the questioning sounds almost exactly like mine, and dont think anything about it, all of that was to determine what your reaction is like, it should be customized to the MMPI 16 that you took, dont worry too much until you get your results.
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:38 am

how long does it normally take to find out whether or not you passed? I'd guess, at this point, it takes as long as it takes a letter to reach me.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am

If you have an assigned BGI, they would contact you and let you know if you passed. From what I understand it can take up to 2 weeks for the doctor to send the results. Sometimes it moves faster if you're in the running for a specific class and time is ticking down.

I've done several pysch interviews and can honestly say each one was different, but in both the doctor did act aloof. It's not like you're there for your own reasons, where they need to form a rapport with you. They are evaluating your responses to determine if you meet criteria and if you were truthful in your written. They won't be overly friendly, but more so clinical in their approach to you.

Don't take it personal.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 am

devilwoman wrote: I've done several pysch interviews

Of course you have...

As mentioned results vary and your experience wasn't out the norm. Although mine was much different in that there was no trickery or whatever you want to call it and I was told at the end that I passed and would be recommended. Full results would be given to the Service in two weeks or so.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:53 pm

I've said I've done a few.....never said I passed them. :smirk:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:32 pm

I had a weird one where I walked out thinking I bombed only to find out thay I had passed. Ive also had it the other way around. ...
KCCO

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:00 am

If I did fail the psych interview, what happens? Am I side lined for a year so I'll have to redo the ECI as well? Sidelined for 6 months before I retake the psych interview?

elwoodpdowd

Postby elwoodpdowd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:33 am

spooky wrote:If I did fail the psych interview, what happens? Am I side lined for a year so I'll have to redo the ECI as well? Sidelined for 6 months before I retake the psych interview?

If you do fail talk to your recruiter as different agencies could have different guidelines. This is a guess but generally the psych test has a two year waiting period. CBSA and RCMP has the two year period and only two attempts at it.
"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"