Student law enforcement opportunities

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Re: Student law enforcement opportunities

Postby NinjaNikki » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:07 am

Lospollos wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote:
Lospollos wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a lurker that has decided to come out of hiding to seek help.

I am a university of Ottawa student who is studying criminology (honours) and I have about 1.5 years before I graduate and recently I have been trying to take any opportunity that I can to gain work and volunteer experience as I understand it is crucial for the hiring process. Obviously I am posting here because I want to pursue a career in law enforcement (CBSA, RCMP, OPP, CSIS,etc)
I understand that FSWEP is a great opportunity but I have not had any luck with it so far (not even an offer). So I am wondering if there are relevant jobs for opportunities for someone in my situation. I work as a security guard for GARDA currently and even though it isn't a bad job I am looking for something more relevant for the future.

Some basic info about me:

3rd year student

B average (6 CGPA)

speak fluent Russian

Live in Ottawa currently

From Oshawa

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Have you applied to work as a student border services officer on FSWEP? If so what location are you checking off as being able to work? Toronto routinely hires large numbers of students to work during the summer and you are pretty much guaranteed to get a placement if you are successful in all the training/testing.

I have applied for the Ottawa and the Oshawa/ajax/Whitby region so I assumed that I would be pooled in the general Toronto area however I will look over my application again and check if I ticked Toronto as well.

ThTs your issue. There aren't any student BSO positions in Oshawa and Ottawa is very hard to get in as they don't hire many students.
If you can update your profile to include Mississauga, Toronto and anything closer to Pearson airport that you can find as that will be your best chance of getting employed this summer. Good luck getting in The door is the hardest part.

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Re: Student law enforcement opportunities

Postby Lospollos » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:20 am

NinjaNikki wrote:
ThTs your issue. There aren't any student BSO positions in Oshawa and Ottawa is very hard to get in as they don't hire many students.
If you can update your profile to include Mississauga, Toronto and anything closer to Pearson airport that you can find as that will be your best chance of getting employed this summer. Good luck getting in The door is the hardest part.

I just updated my FSWEP profile thanks for the advice!
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2