Student law enforcement opportunities

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Lospollos
Rookie Member

Student law enforcement opportunities

Postby Lospollos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a lurker that has decided to come out of hiding to seek help.

I am a university of Ottawa student who is studying criminology (honours) and I have about 1.5 years before I graduate and recently I have been trying to take any opportunity that I can to gain work and volunteer experience as I understand it is crucial for the hiring process. Obviously I am posting here because I want to pursue a career in law enforcement (CBSA, RCMP, OPP, CSIS,etc)
I understand that FSWEP is a great opportunity but I have not had any luck with it so far (not even an offer). So I am wondering if there are relevant jobs for opportunities for someone in my situation. I work as a security guard for GARDA currently and even though it isn't a bad job I am looking for something more relevant for the future.

Some basic info about me:

3rd year student

B average (6 CGPA)

speak fluent Russian

Live in Ottawa currently

From Oshawa

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Re: Student law enforcement opportunities

Postby DonutMan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:53 am

There are student municipal law enforcement officer opportunities every summer. I'm not specifically sure about Ottawa or Oshawa but I have seen them advertised in Brampton, Mississauga and Town of Wasga Beach. I'm sure there's more opportunities available, I'm only naming the ones that I have personally seen in the past two months. Do note MLEO positions are by-law officers, however, it is definitely good experience to add to your curriculum vitae. I'm not entirely sure about how competitive it is to obtain one of these summer positions or how many applicants apply but it is something to look into. Unfortunately the three advertisements I have seen ended about the first week of February. There may be other student MLEO positions in municipalities advertising prior to May (the positions normally start in May to September). Keep an eye on job search websites.

You could also approach agencies (police, special constable services (e.g. universities, transit) private law enforcement businesses, townships, cities) and see if they could offer you an unpaid internship. Find relevant email addresses to relevant persons and send in a well-written email asking if they are interested taking on an intern. Relevant persons being managers, heads of service, etc. You could create a generalized email and mass email (using BCC) so that way you're not stuck writing out a dozen or more unique emails. The worst that can happen is you get no reply or a decline.

You could also see about finding a hospital, education, mall or transit hub security position. It would be more relevant than just crowd control at a bar.

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:34 pm

DonutMan wrote:There are student municipal law enforcement officer opportunities every summer. I'm not specifically sure about Ottawa or Oshawa but I have seen them advertised in Brampton, Mississauga and Town of Wasga Beach. I'm sure there's more opportunities available, I'm only naming the ones that I have personally seen in the past two months. Do note MLEO positions are by-law officers, however, it is definitely good experience to add to your curriculum vitae. I'm not entirely sure about how competitive it is to obtain one of these summer positions or how many applicants apply but it is something to look into. Unfortunately the three advertisements I have seen ended about the first week of February. There may be other student MLEO positions in municipalities advertising prior to May (the positions normally start in May to September). Keep an eye on job search websites.

You could also approach agencies (police, special constable services (e.g. universities, transit) private law enforcement businesses, townships, cities) and see if they could offer you an unpaid internship. Find relevant email addresses to relevant persons and send in a well-written email asking if they are interested taking on an intern. Relevant persons being managers, heads of service, etc. You could create a generalized email and mass email (using BCC) so that way you're not stuck writing out a dozen or more unique emails. The worst that can happen is you get no reply or a decline.

You could also see about finding a hospital, education, mall or transit hub security position. It would be more relevant than just crowd control at a bar.

Thank you so much that was actually really helpful! I have applied for the MLEO position with the city of Ottawa, I mean I am consistently searching but progress is slow. However I really enjoy the idea of asking agencies for an unpaid internship I will definitely look into that.

Thank you!
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Proteus
Rookie Member

Postby Proteus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:10 pm

...I am wondering if there are relevant jobs for opportunities for someone in my situation...

The notion of relevance is interesting in your position. Any part-time or volunteer position with a law enforcement organization definitely has its benefits; It may be higher pay than what you earn now, you will learn a lot about the specific organization you are working with and law enforcement culture, and you will be able to network within the organization. Depending on how important those benefits of the position are to you, you may want to consider some drawbacks to going that route as well.

For example, I'm sure you're well aware of the competitive nature of the application process. Now think to yourself how many police foundations, criminology, security guard, auxiliary volunteer combination resumes land in the hands of recruiters. When there's such a large pool of candidates with similar qualifications, what sets a successful candidate apart? Moreover, while you are able to network within the organization and make a positive impression for future consideration, you also open yourself up to the possibility of making a bad impression that will stick with you forever. Law enforcement agencies work closely with each other and that includes during your background investigation- just something to consider.

Where you can't go wrong on the subject of relevant experience for a law enforcement career would be to do some soul searching and discover a cause you're passionate about and then join an organization (paid or volunteer) in your community that supports that cause. Doing something out of passion and genuine desire to help individuals or groups in your community is probably the most relevant thing you could do to prepare yourself for that career. Additionally, you'll probably get much more out of the experience compared to doing something largely as a stepping stone to your final career.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Any job where you deal with the public on a regular basis and have to resolve matters will be relevant.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

BSO20620
Rookie Member

Postby BSO20620 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:47 pm

The CBSA has a student program but depending on which airport your at you might only do primary exams. Some police services have cadet programs, some bylaw services hire summer students.
RCMP Constable
K Division

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:52 pm

This +1.
Customer service is huge to future law enforcement career aspirations.

John014 wrote:Any job where you deal with the public on a regular basis and have to resolve matters will be relevant.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Lospollos wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a university of Ottawa student who is studying criminology (honours) and I have about 1.5 years before I graduate and recently I have been trying to take any opportunity that I can to gain work and volunteer experience as I understand it is crucial for the hiring process. Obviously I am posting here because I want to pursue a career in law enforcement (CBSA, RCMP, OPP, CSIS,etc)
I understand that FSWEP is a great opportunity but I have not had any luck with it so far (not even an offer). So I am wondering if there are relevant jobs for opportunities for someone in my situation. I work as a security guard for GARDA currently and even though it isn't a bad job I am looking for something more relevant for the future.

3rd year student

B average (6 CGPA)

speak fluent Russian

Live in Ottawa currently

From Oshawa

Have you applied to work as a student border services officer on FSWEP? If so what location are you checking off as being able to work? Toronto routinely hires large numbers of students to work during the summer and you are pretty much guaranteed to get a placement if you are successful in all the training/testing.

smitty
Veteran Member

Postby smitty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:53 pm

I started off as a Student Bylaw Assistant with Ottawa when I was a student. It was an amazing foot in the door towards a career in law enforcement and it gave me a great idea of what law enforcement was all about. Many student positions can land contracts during the school months where you can work part time making a ridiculous wage.

I was also a Provincial Park Warden for the summer after I graduated. This is not a student job technically, but a lot of students land these positions. Amazing experience and fantastic training as a Park Warden. Its a shame there aren't more full time/year round positions out there.

And there is security too, which you are doing. Although not law enforcement it is a stepping stone depending on what you're doing. A mall security guard will develop a lot more experience/competencies/confidence than a security guard who checks passes at a government building. Not sure what you are doing, but look at mall security. I did this when I was a student as well and gave me a ton of confidence and experience in dealing with people and resolving situations. Pay was poor, but the experience was great and it was a lot of fun.

As someone above said, if you are looking to gain experience in LE any sort of job where you interact with people is good experience. Work with troubled youth, volunteer at a kids running and reading program, etc. A McDonald's employee demonstrates most competencies a police service is looking within a shift. Don't limit yourself, but I don't blame you for wanting something more relevant. Good luck.

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 pm

NinjaNikki wrote:
Lospollos wrote:Hi everyone,

3rd year student

B average (6 CGPA)

speak fluent Russian

Live in Ottawa currently

From Oshawa

Have you applied to work as a student border services officer on FSWEP? If so what location are you checking off as being able to work? Toronto routinely hires large numbers of students to work during the summer and you are pretty much guaranteed to get a placement if you are successful in all the training/testing.

I have applied for the Ottawa and the Oshawa/ajax/Whitby region so I assumed that I would be pooled in the general Toronto area however I will look over my application again and check if I ticked Toronto as well.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:33 pm

smitty wrote:I started off as a Student Bylaw Assistant with Ottawa when I was a student. It was an amazing foot in the door towards a career in law enforcement and it gave me a great idea of what law enforcement was all about. Many student positions can land contracts during the school months where you can work part time making a ridiculous wage.

I was also a Provincial Park Warden for the summer after I graduated. This is not a student job technically, but a lot of students land these positions. Amazing experience and fantastic training as a Park Warden. Its a shame there aren't more full time/year round positions out there.

And there is security too, which you are doing. Although not law enforcement it is a stepping stone depending on what you're doing. A mall security guard will develop a lot more experience/competencies/confidence than a security guard who checks passes at a government building. Not sure what you are doing, but look at mall security. I did this when I was a student as well and gave me a ton of confidence and experience in dealing with people and resolving situations. Pay was poor, but the experience was great and it was a lot of fun.

As someone above said, if you are looking to gain experience in LE any sort of job where you interact with people is good experience. Work with troubled youth, volunteer at a kids running and reading program, etc. A McDonald's employee demonstrates most competencies a police service is looking within a shift. Don't limit yourself, but I don't blame you for wanting something more relevant. Good luck.

I currently work at a highclass Condo building (on Sussex and Rideau) and I mainly do concierge tasks during the day and security (patrols reports etc) at night. But I never really thought of mall security as a great option beforehand.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:37 am

Don't take this the wrong way as I'm sharing my thoughts to help:
Condo security is typically perceived as a warm body position with low responsibility expectations.

If you're keen on security related work, consider mall, mobile alarm response, hospital, corporate, etc.
Look for positions where you're dealing with the public, problem solving, and working in a team.

Also consider jobs outside of security, weigh the potential with each position for building experience.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:50 am

smitty wrote:I was also a Provincial Park Warden for the summer after I graduated. This is not a student job technically, but a lot of students land these positions. Amazing experience and fantastic training as a Park Warden. Its a shame there aren't more full time/year round positions out there.

This.

I was a Park Warden for 3 seasons while I finished off my degree and I've had a good career since leaving. I think back to all the people I worked with and who went to warden training with me, several are police officers, a couple are correctional officers, one is a conservation officer, few MTO officers, Bylaw officers etc.

It's an excellent stepping stone job to enter any law enforcement position.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:38 pm

smitty wrote:I was also a Provincial Park Warden for the summer after I graduated. This is not a student job technically, but a lot of students land these positions. Amazing experience and fantastic training as a Park Warden. Its a shame there aren't more full time/year round positions out there.

Parks warden eh ? Would you mind telling where you worked as a warden in ottawa? also would me not knowing french hinder my chances for this position ?
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:26 pm

RemingtonSteel wrote:

This.

I was a Park Warden for 3 seasons while I finished off my degree and I've had a good career since leaving. I think back to all the people I worked with and who went to warden training with me, several are police officers, a couple are correctional officers, one is a conservation officer, few MTO officers, Bylaw officers etc.

It's an excellent stepping stone job to enter any law enforcement position.

Agreed.... I think my time working as a Warden was a definite asset when it came to the application with CBSA.

It's also probably the best seasonal job I ever worked. I would also highly recommend it if you're willing and able to relocate to a nearby provincial park for the summer.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton