City of Mississauga - Transit Enforcement

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RBSB15
Rookie Member

City of Mississauga - Transit Enforcement

Postby RBSB15 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Anyone apply?

davi0531
Rookie Member

Re: City of Mississauga - Transit Enforcement

Postby davi0531 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah I applied to this. know anything about the position? there is hardly any information online.

RBSB15
Rookie Member

Postby RBSB15 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 pm

I don't know too much either. I've applied for the position before but didn't even get an interview. I've got some pretty good experience and education so I'm not too sure what they are looking for.

What kind of experience do you have ?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 pm

I'd imagine the position is similar to TTC / Go Transit.
If so, expect them to be looking for people with knowledge and experience in: criminal code, provincial laws, etc.
Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:46 pm

They are by-law enforcement officers that also dable in security. They are not special constables. For some reason special constables status is not something Mississauga has wanted.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

davi0531
Rookie Member

Postby davi0531 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:23 am

RBSB15 wrote:I don't know too much either. I've applied for the position before but didn't even get an interview. I've got some pretty good experience and education so I'm not too sure what they are looking for.

What kind of experience do you have ?

5 years MLEO, Police foundations, University degree. 3 years security, grouphhome work, homeless shelter work. etc..... So these are not special constable positions? any idea what their PT deployment is like?

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:47 am

Dave Jenkins wrote:They are by-law enforcement officers that also dable in security. They are not special constables. For some reason special constables status is not something Mississauga has wanted.

Any idea why? Whether you have Special Constable status or not, the job of Transit Enforcement units across the GTA is the same, the only difference is whether you have those extra powers to make it easier.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:17 pm

MLEOs do have peace officer status when enforcing municipal by-laws under R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (2); 1997, c. 8, s. 13. Assuming there are transit municipal by-laws in Mississauga, you would have peace officer status in the execution of your duties while enforcing them.

R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 55 (1, 2) furthermore states all peace officers have the power to act as police officers in the area applicable.

bcw

Postby bcw » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:27 am

DonutMan wrote:MLEOs do have peace officer status when enforcing municipal by-laws under R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (2); 1997, c. 8, s. 13. Assuming there are transit municipal by-laws in Mississauga, you would have peace officer status in the execution of your duties while enforcing them.

R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 55 (1, 2) furthermore states all peace officers have the power to act as police officers in the area applicable.

It's more in relations to not having 495 CC, LLA, MHA and TPA. . There are no arrest authority for fail to identify for municipal offences. Honestly not a big deal for transit enforcement in my opinion. P.O.O status is fine for the position regardless.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:38 am

bcw wrote:
DonutMan wrote:MLEOs do have peace officer status when enforcing municipal by-laws under R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (2); 1997, c. 8, s. 13. Assuming there are transit municipal by-laws in Mississauga, you would have peace officer status in the execution of your duties while enforcing them.

It's more in relations to not having 495 CC, LLA, MHA and TPA. . There are no arrest authority for fail to identify for municipal offences. Honestly not a big deal for transit enforcement in my opinion. P.O.O status is fine for the position regardless.

Not sure. I worked previously in a foreign country where you would be arrested under the transit act if you failed to give name and address if you were caught committing a transit offence like failure to produce a valid ticket. I'm guessing it's not the same here?

bcw

Postby bcw » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:13 pm

DonutMan wrote:
bcw wrote:

Not sure. I worked previously in a foreign country where you would be arrested under the transit act if you failed to give name and address if you were caught committing a transit offence like failure to produce a valid ticket. I'm guessing it's not the same here?

There are arrest authority for Fraud in relations to fare under the CCC, but its only summary. Easy to prove if someone jumps a turnstile, but harder to prove for proof of payment depending on the circumstances. There are no arrest authroity under any municipal by-laws which are where most of the Transit enforcement lay charges under.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:41 pm

bcw wrote:There are arrest authority for Fraud in relations to fare under the CCC, but its only summary. Easy to prove if someone jumps a turnstile, but harder to prove for proof of payment depending on the circumstances. There are no arrest authroity under any municipal by-laws which are where most of the Transit enforcement lay charges under.

You could always arrest under TPA if you find people jumping turnstiles or entering through bus bays.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:13 pm

For the role that transit enforcement has - you really don`t require special constable status, MLEO is sufficient. Any by-law violation you enforce where they refuse to ID, just arrest under TPA for engage in prohibited - if it`s a violation of the transit bylaw, it`s obviously prohibited at the terminal. Alternatively, if they won`t cooperate you could just turf them under TPA. Additionally because it`s private property, they can arrest for any criminal offence they witness.

SCST status is nice to have as it prevents you having to call the cops to release the suspect you arrest but the job can still be done without it.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby ShadowBrooks » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:09 am

RemingtonSteel wrote:For the role that transit enforcement has - you really don`t require special constable status, MLEO is sufficient. Any by-law violation you enforce where they refuse to ID, just arrest under TPA for engage in prohibited - if it`s a violation of the transit bylaw, it`s obviously prohibited at the terminal. Alternatively, if they won`t cooperate you could just turf them under TPA. Additionally because it`s private property, they can arrest for any criminal offence they witness.

SCST status is nice to have as it prevents you having to call the cops to release the suspect you arrest but the job can still be done without it.

Interesting, we don't have any arrest powers in BC under the Motor Vehicle Act or similar legislation. We can issue appearance notices for offences though, some which carry possible jail time.
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

bcw

Postby bcw » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:24 am

Von wrote:
bcw wrote:There are arrest authority for Fraud in relations to fare under the CCC, but its only summary. Easy to prove if someone jumps a turnstile, but harder to prove for proof of payment depending on the circumstances. There are no arrest authroity under any municipal by-laws which are where most of the Transit enforcement lay charges under.

You could always arrest under TPA if you find people jumping turnstiles or entering through bus bays.

You are correct, sorry I should have been more detail when refering to "proof of payment". I'm referring to "proof of payment" system Go transit, Viva, and some TTC street car line which they currently have implemented where you just purchase a ticket and jump on the bus or train.

RemingtonSteel wrote:For the role that transit enforcement has - you really don`t require special constable status, MLEO is sufficient. Any by-law violation you enforce where they refuse to ID, just arrest under TPA for engage in prohibited - if it`s a violation of the transit bylaw, it`s obviously prohibited at the terminal. Alternatively, if they won`t cooperate you could just turf them under TPA. Additionally because it`s private property, they can arrest for any criminal offence they witness.

Arresting someone for failing to I.D for a by-law violation you are walking on a fine line..for TPA - prohibited activity the sign must be posted properly, I highly doubt any transit system has signs posted stating "Prohibited Activity-Refuse to I.D." For TPA, most utitlize it for Fail to leave when directed. Unfortunately, The judges in Ontario wants to see you eject in most incidents prior to arrest under TPA.