Canadian Military Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GDF21
Rookie Member

Canadian Military Police

Postby GDF21 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if there is anyone who knows the application process for the Canadian military police ill be finishing my Criminal justice degree, and I am looking into the plethora of Law Enforcement jobs out there. I know the MP's do not serve a function similar to Civilian police agencies, so need not drag that age old argument out! I am just simply interested as there isnt tons of information on their site. Is it similar to agencies like the RCMP ? Ride alongs, Credit investigations, Poly's, etc. etc. etc. or is it the exact same as a soldier entering any different field within the armed forces. Appreciate the time and happy new years!

Thank you!,

Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Canadian Military Police

Postby Tango5 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:44 pm

GDF21 wrote:Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if there is anyone who knows the application process for the Canadian military police ill be finishing my Criminal justice degree, and I am looking into the plethora of Law Enforcement jobs out there. I know the MP's do not serve a function similar to Civilian police agencies, so need not drag that age old argument out! I am just simply interested as there isnt tons of information on their site. Is it similar to agencies like the RCMP ? Ride alongs, Credit investigations, Poly's, etc. etc. etc. or is it the exact same as a soldier entering any different field within the armed forces. Appreciate the time and happy new years!

Thank you!,

Typing > Military Police < in the search feature place returned this to me: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28801&hilit=Military+police

It's about reserves but you might get answers you are looking for.

Welcome to the site.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

GDF21
Rookie Member

Postby GDF21 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:56 pm

Although I appreciate your time, I already have read that and there really isnt anything in depth I could find about the Application process for MP. Thank you though! Also thank you for the welcome!

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:00 pm

GDF21 wrote:Although I appreciate your time, I already have read that and there really isnt anything in depth I could find about the Application process for MP. Thank you though! Also thank you for the welcome!

You can create a new thread but also you can try and ask your questions there, I am sure someone will be able to answer most if not all of your questions.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

LMC75
Rookie Member

Postby LMC75 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:54 pm

The initial application is the same for anyone joining the CAF, however there are a few additional steps....you will need a specific score on the aptitude test, meet the necessary requirements (Police Foundations, credit check etc) once you've been successful then you may be selected to attend the Military Police Assessment Centre (MPAC) in Borden ON for a week of testing, interviews, scenarios etc. Once that is completed then your results are sent to Ottawa to determine if you will be selected for the trade. I hope that answers some of your questions.

GDF21
Rookie Member

Postby GDF21 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:55 pm

appreciate the responses gentlemen! catch you on the flip side!

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:01 pm

If you think the MP's don't "serve a function similar to civilian police" you are 100% incorrect.

Military police investigate crimes and lay charges like anyone else. My authority is exactly the same as any other police officer in Canada and when I arrest non military individuals or military members for certain offences, I deal with them the same as any other police officer (crown brief documents, hold for bail etc etc.)

Sorry, but for someone who claims to have done research.....you're pretty off base.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

subbie
Rookie Member

Postby subbie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:17 am

check out army.ca. More info. I went for my MPAC in Nov. Just waiting to hear
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:00 am

GDF21 wrote:I know the MP's do not serve a function similar to Civilian police agencies, so need not drag that age old argument out!

I think you might be confusing reserve MP's with regular force MP's. As others have pointed out regular force MP's are 'real' police with the same functions, powers and responsibilities as any other civilian police agency. My old man being a retired MP and having occasion the opportunity to do JFO's with them I can confirm this.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:31 am

Inspir wrote:
GDF21 wrote:I know the MP's do not serve a function similar to Civilian police agencies, so need not drag that age old argument out!

I think you might be confusing reserve MP's with regular force MP's. As others have pointed out regular force MP's are 'real' police with the same functions, powers and responsibilities as any other civilian police agency. My old man being a retired MP and having occasion the opportunity to do JFO's with them I can confirm this.

I read somewhere on the internet that reserve MP's will eventually be allowed onto the reg force QL3 course, have you heard anything about that?

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:15 pm

It's happened before but it's rare.

Basically you graduate, get handed a badge, then turn around and hand it in. If you're lucky enough to get a contract at a det (which I haven't heard of in years) you will pick up your badge when you show up for work and leave it in your locker when you're done.

Like I said, it's rare and I haven't seen it in a few years.....so don't bank on ever getting on course.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 pm

recceguy wrote:It's happened before but it's rare.

Basically you graduate, get handed a badge, then turn around and hand it in. If you're lucky enough to get a contract at a det (which I haven't heard of in years) you will pick up your badge when you show up for work and leave it in your locker when you're done.

Like I said, it's rare and I haven't seen it in a few years.....so don't bank on ever getting on course.

Gotcha.

GDF21
Rookie Member

Postby GDF21 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:Make sure you tell your assessors at your MPAC (if you even make it that far) that MPs don't serve a function similar to civilian agencies. Your wisdom and knowledge of their jobs as an applicant will ensure you have great success and become an MP in no time.

Although you do win the award for quote mining, and being sadly petty. MP's do not serve a similar function to that of EPS or RCMP, absolutely the Military Police of Canada have the exact same power of that a EPS, CPS, RCMP or any other constable holds. The job itself is entirely different working in a Military Setting, Enforcing the code of service relative to the CF and simply policing the Forces themselves is not a job that is like EPS or RCMP. It presents its own unique challenges, and work dynamic not generally found in that of EPS and call a spade a spade, the same as working in a outlying RCMP detachment you will not be dealing the rampant crime and organized criminal activity a Constable working in Downtown Edmonton or Calgary will encounter. The MP's and the Civilian Police are two entirely different beasts and have entirely different work dynamics in actuality, though in authority and scope, training and equipment very similar.