GO / Metrolinx Transit Safety Officers (Special Constable)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Mr wolfdale
Rookie Member

GO / Metrolinx Transit Safety Officers (Special Constable)

Postby Mr wolfdale » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 pm

As part of the Safety & Security Division within GO Transit - Transit Safety Officers are committed to providing the highest quality of service to our customers and employees. TSOs proactively maintain a high visible presence throughout the Transit System building relationships by addressing safety & security concerns and deterring crime.

As a Law Enforcement Professional your responsibilities will include revenue protection, the enforcement of Metrolinx by-laws, Provincial and Federal legislation. To ensure the highest standards of professionalism and accountability you will be sworn in as a Special Constable. This is done through a partnership program with the Ontario Provincial Police and the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/aboutus/car ... ities.aspx

TRANSIT SAFETY OFFICERS (15-658)

All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
Reference Number 15-658
Job Location CA-ON-Toronto
# Positions 9
Job Type Full Time
Job Industry Government and Public Sector, Transportation and Couriers
Career Level Entry Level
Years of Experience <1
Posted Date 12/7/2015
More information about this job:

Job Description:
TRANSIT SAFETY OFFICERS
Start Rate: $33.43 per hour
$33.43 - $38.10 (ATU Bargaining Unit)
(Training Rate $19.27 per hour)

Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario and oversees GO Transit, PRESTO and the Union Pearson Express. Our goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Join us as we work together to transform the way the region moves.

Our Transit Safety Office is seeking several Transit Safety Officers to protect the safety and security of passengers, employees and property and to maintain the integrity of the fare system.

Key Responsibilities:
Providing assistance and protection to GO Transit patrons and their property, employees and corporate assets and ensuring the appropriate action is taken.
Promoting and maintaining good customer relations.
Maintaining operating protocol with railway and regional police services within all jurisdictions serviced by GO Transit; and maintaining the public peace within the GO Transit system.
Interpreting and applying various legislation including; Metrolinx By-laws, The Criminal Code and other related federal and provincial statutes, on or in relation to Metrolinx property.
Location: Various locations and shifts within the Greater Toronto Area.

File Number: 15-658

Qualifications:
Knowledge of law enforcement principles and practices normally attained through completion of a two (2) year community college program in law enforcement and/or equivalent law enforcement experience.
Minimum six (6) months' experience directly involving law enforcement activities with exposure to police and court services
Ability to interpret and apply the Criminal Code, the Metrolinx Act 2006, the Liquor Licence Act, the Trespass to Property Act, the Highway Traffic Act, and other related federal and provincial statutes.
Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
Ability to make frequent decisions in the field under potentially harmful and stressful conditions.
Must be able to pass an Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P) security clearance for the purpose of obtaining Special Constable Status, and to access the C.P.I.C and P.A.R.I.S information systems and uphold the Special Constable Code of Conduct.
Valid Ontario Class "G" drivers licence with no more than 4 demerit points.
Must be able to obtain: GO Transit Equipment Operator’s Permit, First Aid Certification, CPR Certification, & Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT) Certification.
Must successfully complete environmental, safety and any other training required by corporate policy.

All applicants are required to have a valid Applicant Testing Services (ATS) Special Constable Test Result Profile at the time of offer. A copy of the ATS will be required for the time of offer. For information about the tests, registration and application process, please visit http://www.applicanttesting.com (click Special Constable) or contact ATS directly at 1-800-429-7728.

NOTE: Metrolinx will accept a valid Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police Certificate of Testing Result Profile.

To apply for this position, please submit your resume online, no later than January 10, 2016.

As part of our new online application process, the system will now house one single resume and will reference this resume for all of your applications with Metrolinx. This will be your most recently updated resume.

The system will allow you to upload one single document, so please ensure that any supplementary documents to your resume (i.e. cover letter, certifications, etc.) are merged into a single file prior to uploading.

Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.

Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.

We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.

AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

Kathryn030315
Rookie Member

Re: GO / Metrolinx Transit Safety Officers (Special Constabl

Postby Kathryn030315 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Received an invite to attend an info session and testing for this position. Anyone else?

alexander10
Rookie Member

Postby alexander10 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 am

Kathryn030315 wrote:Received an invite to attend an info session and testing for this position. Anyone else?
Myself as well. Good luck!

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:25 am

Good gig.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Inquisitive2011
Rookie Member

Postby Inquisitive2011 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:44 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Good gig.
Would you mind elaborating on what makes this a good gig? This is just for my info. No disrespect intended.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Not at all.

This is one of those jobs that I actually put you in a position of public trust and 40 where you were not just secluded from people on something like a campus or a private facility.

I have known a few people in the special constable positions over the years with go transit or it's various incarnations it is a very good job that gives you experience as well as great working knowledge of the hearing levels of waws from provincial municipal and federal as well as laws specific to transit related issues.

I have never ever had an issue with a go transit special constable I always find them very well put together their uniforms are nice and I find them very professional with good training.

It is one of those jobs where I would say it gives you a very close taste to what public policing would be it is a fantastic steppingstone.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

No 20 Year Medal
Poobah Overlord

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:30 pm

A.T.R. wrote:...it is a fantastic steppingstone.
What A.T.R. said.

Case in point, the current Chief of Durham Regional started life as a GO Special. And my wife is also living proof, she too was a GO Special and is now a Det. Cst. with a GTA police service.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

dobbsie
Rookie Member

Postby dobbsie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:15 pm

I received an email on Wednesday for testing. It must have went to my junk mail and they left me a phone message today. Unfortunately I cannot go as I am away for work. I missed the cut off anyways as I'm on nights and did not get the message. It really sucks.

Good luck to those who can attend the testing!
Applied, OPP-(Mar 2016)
Interview, OPP-(Apr 2016)- Complete
BGI- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Medical- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Vision- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Home Interview, OPP- Complete
Psych/SIGMA, OPP- Complete
PPA/OPC OPP- August, 2016

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:18 pm

I have never ever had an issue with a go transit special constable I always find them very well put together their uniforms are nice and I find them very professional with good training.
Some you've met are just bat shit crazy and get uniforms from the "Baby Gap"...... :evil:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Rareform
Grand Poobah

Postby Rareform » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:58 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Some you've met are just bat shit crazy and get uniforms from the "Baby Gap"...... :evil:
Story behind this?
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Story behind this?
If I told you, well you know, I'd have to kill you. LOL

Rareform
Grand Poobah

Postby Rareform » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:12 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Story behind this?
If I told you, well you know, I'd have to kill you. LOL
Fair enough. Lol. ;)
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm

She was a short stumpy hobbit.

No 20 Year Medal
Poobah Overlord

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 pm

First name initial "J" ?
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 pm

She was a short stumpy hobbit
LOL. The colours of the uniform can make people appear more stumpy.