Navigation in a new jurisdiction

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GrizzBear
Rookie Member

Navigation in a new jurisdiction

Postby GrizzBear » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:10 am

Hi everyone,

Currently in the OPP process and have a question to Officers who were stationed to a detachment far from home. Just curious how you were able to navigate the unknown area at first? I can imagine that in emergency situations you would want to get to the place ASAP and you would not be able screw around with a GPS. Do you stay with your Coach Officer until you know your way around?

Thanks in advance, like I said just a question out of curiosity.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Navigation in a new jurisdiction

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:18 am

Read a map of the area.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 pm

I've worked in several different cities and I've always found that keeping a tried and true paper map is the best way to navigate. Too many people rely on GPS which does the thinking for you and doesn't allow you to learn your own way. Reading a map and figuring your way is the only way, IMHO, to learn your way around, because it makes you think and helps you remember.

Beyond that, GPS can fail.

Also, in your downtime, drive around, look for short cuts, allies to cut down, side streets that allow you to go around traffic snarled areas (IE rush hour), etc.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

BHop
Rookie Member

Postby BHop » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:28 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Also, in your downtime, drive around, look for short cuts, allies to cut down, side streets that allow you to go around traffic snarled areas (IE rush hour), etc.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Driving around the same roads for 12 hours a day for 3 months with a coach should be more than ample time to learn your way around.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 pm

You're never going to be able to memorize every street. Learn the major intersections and learn which way these streets run first then build from there. When you have some downtime with your coach practice navigating your area. Beyond that just always know where you are. It'll save your ass when shit hits the fan.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:01 am

Know north, south, east and west inside and out.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:10 am

That's my struggle right now. Formed bad habits by relying on GPS too much. My advice is get to know the major roads and down pack your NESW.

Hopefully you'll have a really patient training officer who will let you make copious amounts of U turns.

CharlieVictor
Rookie Member

Postby CharlieVictor » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:56 pm

I don't always make U-Turns, but when I do, I make it look like I have somewhere important to go as opposed to missing my turn. :angel:
Police Constable