Halton Police Cadet Program

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
goaliegibson

Halton Police Cadet Program

Postby goaliegibson » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 pm

***The application process for the 2016 Police Cadet intake will begin in August 2015***

The Halton Regional Police Service established its one-year Police Cadet program in June, 2009. The primary purpose of the Police Cadet program is to promote and enhance the career development and experience of future Police Constable candidates.

Eight Halton Regional Police Service Cadets are currently assigned to locations throughout the Region.

Key Activities:

To work in a Police Division under the mentoring of a Halton Regional Police Constable
To participate as a member of the Halton Regional Police Service at community events, crime prevention initiatives, special projects
To provide front-line information and assistance to members of the public (in person and by telephone); become familiar with police procedures, and to assist police officers in the performance of their duties
To perform other duties as directed
Basic Qualifications:

To be considered for a Police Cadet position, candidates must:

Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
Be at least 18 years of age
Be of good moral character and habits
Be mentally able to perform the job
Possess a valid driver's licence (minimum Class 'G') with a good driving record
Have successfully completed secondary school or the approved equivalent
Meet vision standards of uncorrected visual accuity of at least 20/40 binocularly, corrected visual accuity should be at least 20/20 binocularly, with normal colour vision, and normal hearing standards
Possess either a OACP Certificate of Results, or the ability to obtain this certificate during the contract position
Possess a good level of physical fitness
Possess a current Standard First Aid certificate and current CPR certificate (Basic Rescuer Level C)
Desired Qualifications:

Between the ages of 19-24 years of age
Resident of Halton Region or within 50km of the area
Recent post-secondary graduate or in the last semester of post-secondary education, with graduation in Spring, 2016
Work Duration and Salary:

Individuals hired as Police Cadets with the Halton Regional Police Service will be paid a salary for the duration of their one year work experience program.

Work term commences in May, 2016.

Candidates will be assigned varied shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends.

Upcoming Information Sessions:

Wednesday, August 19, 2015
6:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 22, 2015
10:00 a.m.

Saturday, September 12, 2015
10:00a.m.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015
6:00p.m.

All four free information sessions will be held in the Cafeteria at Police Headquarters (1151 Bronte Rd. Oakville).

Space is limited and registration is required.

Email CadetProgram@haltonpolice.ca

How To Apply:

The recruiting process typically consists of information sessions and the submission of online applications. Subsequent stages involve interviews, psychological testing, background investigations and medical examinations. Candidates are invited to download the application package.

Online applications for the 2016 Police Cadet intake will be accepted from September 14, 2015 to October 12, 2015. Hard copy applications are to be received by 4:00pm on October 16, 2015, at Halton Regional Police Headquarters, 1151 Bronte Rd, Oakville, ON L6M 3L1.

For more information about the Halton Regional Police Service Police Cadet program, contact:

CadetProgram@haltonpolice.ca

http://www.haltonpolice.ca/JOINUS/Pages/BeAPoliceCadet.aspx

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Halton Police Cadet Program

Postby mack_silent » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Why not just hire police constables?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Reese
Rookie Member

Postby Reese » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 pm

mack_silent wrote:Why not just hire police constables?

If the cadet program is contract (similar to the old OPP cadet program) you can test the waters and develop potential future constables. You don't get stuck with a 30 year problem. I think its a great idea..I just wish it was around when I was in my early 20's!

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am

Makes sense. Too bad police services can't contract ALL new hires.
Would make the less motivated officers easier to ship out.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:32 am

A few of the services use their Auxiliary Constable pool to scoop from in addition to regular applications from the "streets".
Unfortunately not all do this.
I my opinion it should be a no brainer as you can tell a lot about a prospective member having him/her on the job first.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 pm

mack_silent wrote:Makes sense. Too bad police services can't contract ALL new hires.
Would make the less motivated officers easier to ship out.

How so? They would be useful until their probation is up and then become useless. Wouldn't change a thing.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:36 am

I've seen quite a few chair warmers within their first year of service who shouldn't have been hired.