Municipal Dept vs RCMP

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Sambaru
Rookie Member

Municipal Dept vs RCMP

Postby Sambaru » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 am

Hey gang,

I tried a search several times but was unsuccessful. This forum doesn't seem to have a great search function. If there is an existing thread, please feel free to direct me to it!

Can anyone provide me with any information on municipal police depts v the Mounties? I am currently in the application processes with the Vancouver Police Department and the RCMP. I am the only person who is running both simultaneously from the applicants I have met, all others have chosen one or the other. I don't want to be presumptuous and look too far ahead as many of the steps are very competitive/challenging but best case scenario, if I am offered both, I have no idea which I would choose. I have pros and cons to both agencies and basically change my mind every 10 minutes. I can't be the only person who applied for both and needs to pick one so would just like to know what factors other applicants considered.

As an example of perceived pros and cons:
+VPD assures I don't have to move away from my family and friends
+RCMP offers opportunities in different parts of the country for those interested in moving around and exploring
+RCMP has more available positions/areas to advance to
-RCMP uses an obsolete and outdated training model
-VPD is small-time v RCMP's federal role
+VPD is more challenging and competitive so it must be better!

These opinions do not necessarily reflect my values but just common beliefs, right or wrong. Again, would just love to hear what others think on this topic.

Thanks,
Sam

rick1213
Rookie Member

Re: Municipal Dept vs RCMP

Postby rick1213 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am

Hey Sam,

What do you mean by:
Sambaru wrote:-RCMP uses an obsolete and outdated training model

Sam

I thought it was a pretty fair and efficient model since it is recognized by most (if not all) of Canada's Police corps.

Not trying to argue, I just want to know what you heard as "common beliefs"
Thanks,
Richard

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 am

Sambaru wrote:Hey gang,

I tried a search several times but was unsuccessful. This forum doesn't seem to have a great search function. If there is an existing thread, please feel free to direct me to it!

Can anyone provide me with any information on municipal police depts v the Mounties? I am currently in the application processes with the Vancouver Police Department and the RCMP. I am the only person who is running both simultaneously from the applicants I have met, all others have chosen one or the other. I don't want to be presumptuous and look too far ahead as many of the steps are very competitive/challenging but best case scenario, if I am offered both, I have no idea which I would choose. I have pros and cons to both agencies and basically change my mind every 10 minutes. I can't be the only person who applied for both and needs to pick one so would just like to know what factors other applicants considered.

As an example of perceived pros and cons:
+VPD assures I don't have to move away from my family and friends
+RCMP offers opportunities in different parts of the country for those interested in moving around and exploring
+RCMP has more available positions/areas to advance to
-RCMP uses an obsolete and outdated training model
-VPD is small-time v RCMP's federal role
+VPD is more challenging and competitive so it must be better!

These opinions do not necessarily reflect my values but just common beliefs, right or wrong. Again, would just love to hear what others think on this topic.

Thanks,
Sam

While I am not about to squash Vancouver PD's reputation, either operationally or their training, I too wonder where you get the impression that the Basic Cadet Training Program at The RCMP Academy at Depot Division, while it may not be perfect, "...uses an obsolete and outdated training mode..."?

If THAT is your opinion of what Depot is like NOW, without having set foot there, WHY are you bothering applying to the RCMP? If you have some plan in your head to "up-grade" BCTP, WOW, are YOU going to be in for a surprise, you glib, funny little man!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Sambaru
Rookie Member

Postby Sambaru » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Sambaru wrote: As an example of perceived pros and cons:

Please reread my entire post before making condescending assumptions on my character or my intentions. Thank you.

The list I provided is an approximate compilation of opinions I have heard from other candidates I have met during the application processes for both agencies. Regarding the "outdated model," it is regarding the "military-style" basic training then deployment as needed to anywhere in the country. I personally can see both the pros and cons of this model, especially given Canada's geography/demographics. I included it as it is the sole reason I hear from other applicants (to various local muni depts) as to why they don't even consider the Mounties.

I am merely seeking opinions, is this not what a forum is for? If anyone can offer any insight into why an applicant might consider a local PD vs the RCMP, I am still keen on hearing what others think!

Thanks again,
Sam

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Sambaru wrote:
Sambaru wrote: As an example of perceived pros and cons:

Please reread my entire post before making condescending assumptions on my character or my intentions. Thank you.

The list I provided is an approximate compilation of opinions I have heard from other candidates I have met during the application processes for both agencies. Regarding the "outdated model," it is regarding the "military-style" basic training then deployment as needed to anywhere in the country. I personally can see both the pros and cons of this model, especially given Canada's geography/demographics. I included it as it is the sole reason I hear from other applicants (to various local muni depts) as to why they don't even consider the Mounties.

I am merely seeking opinions, is this not what a forum is for? If anyone can offer any insight into why an applicant might consider a local PD vs the RCMP, I am still keen on hearing what others think!

Thanks again,
Sam

First of all, you are absolutely not in the right frame of mind and I wonder how far you will make it as an applicant.

Secondly, it's your personal preference. Both are fantastic police agencies. If being around family is important to you, then choose to stick being around your family.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:51 pm

To you like urban living or do you like rural (sometimes very rural) living?
Do you like shopping at Walmart or do you prefer the Northern?

All personal preference.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Sambaru wrote:+RCMP has more available positions/areas to advance to

Nonsense. With a few exceptions, any job you can do in the RCMP, you can also do in the Vancouver Police or any other large municipal service.

Sambaru wrote:-RCMP uses an obsolete and outdated training model

Make sure you tell that to the RCMP if/when you get an interview. I'm sure they'll be impressed. What is it you think is outdated and obsolete?

Sambaru wrote:-VPD is small-time v RCMP's federal role

Small time? Make sure you tell that to VPD recruiting if/when you get an interview.

Sambaru wrote:+VPD is more challenging and competitive so it must be better!

Wow ... you think being a RM in the RCMP isn't challenging? Which is it? Is VPD "small time" or is it "challenging and competitive?"

I don't think you have the maturity to be a successful applicant right now.
:wave:

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:52 pm

:twitch:
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:33 pm

This is one of the dumber threads I've seen in a while.

If you want to be a Mountie be a Mountie. If you want to be VPD be VPD.

In the long run it really doesn't matter because from what I've seen of you in this thread.....you probably won't be either.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Sambaru
Rookie Member

Postby Sambaru » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks to all for the responses. I was only curious to hear the experiences and opinions of others, and I brought up some points I have heard along the way (as stated numerous times, these were not necessarily my personal opinions) in hopes of hearing rebuttals or affirmations but the discussion didn't go how I intended. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, that was not my intention. For this I apologize.

Appreciate everyone's opinion on the matter. Good luck to all applicants on here. And to active duty members, thank you for your service.

Take care,
Sam

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Something that stood out to me personally about the VPD over the RCMP is the fact they have 2 man cars. I think spending 12 hours with the right partner would be a huge difference. Some smaller RCMP departments have less back up. I spoke with an Abbotsford Police Constable who was former RCMP and he said it was a bit of a culture shock making the jump. He said to me that lots of calls he went to alone as a mounty ( mostly domestics he said) he would have had to wait for back up as a muni. With that in mind, my heart is still set on the red surge. Canada is known for being such a multicultural country that many of its original traditions are fading, not that the new ones are bad by any means but the RCMP is a strong symbol of Canada and something that will never change.

Edmonton Police Service, a service one of my closest friends just finished up training with is also a good service. He told me about his personal walk in locker at his facility and how well the department is funded and all the perks that come with it. I'm sure a well funded municipal force like VPD would be similar. I would give anything to be able to be apart of either one, something I work towards every day.

My advice is if either one offers you a job snatch it up.

Cheers.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Highland2012 wrote: He said to me that lots of calls he went to alone as a mounty ( mostly domestics he said)

Where is true that Mounties work mostly solo, this guy said that he attended alone to domestic calls?
Hmm. Unless he transferred from a really, really small detachment you probably misunderstood his comment or I misunderstood you.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:25 pm

Nope... That's what he said. :ponder:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 pm

I have seen this happen in some rare situations where members are tied up to calls and can't clear and someone is getting hurt... but saying.. Mostly...

Oh wel.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Tango5 wrote:
Highland2012 wrote: He said to me that lots of calls he went to alone as a mounty ( mostly domestics he said)

Where is true that Mounties work mostly solo, this guy said that he attended alone to domestic calls?
Hmm. Unless he transferred from a really, really small detachment you probably misunderstood his comment or I misunderstood you.

That, my "E" Div friend, IS life here in "F" Div, aka the ancestral home of the Force. Not a lot of bike-path patrol units at Pinky.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)