Are police pilots constables in Canada?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
machinegun
Rookie Member

Are police pilots constables in Canada?

Postby machinegun » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi. I'm a 27 year old guy and I want to be a full time police officer. I just saw some job postings for provincial police/RCMP pilot positions. They are looking for some PC-21 and helicopter pilots but I wonder if those pilots are also sworn constables or just civilians.

I have always wanted to be either a cop or a pilot since I was a kid and I eventually got all the ratings including PPL, CPL, MER and IFR and became a regional airline pilot about two years ago but at the same time I volunteer as an auxiliary constable. After working as a Q400 pilot like a slave and following all the boring schedule for 2 years, I realized that this is not the job I wanna do and it has been more challenging and exciting when I volunteer.

But unlikely in the US where many reserve/auxiliary officers/deputies are also fully sworn officers, we auxiliary constables are just like part time civilian assistants in Canada. Now, I eventually want to become a full time cop but wonder if those pilots are also fully sworn costables.

It seems like many police/sheriff pilots in the US have their police officer/deputy sheriff status just like patrol officers and are able to carry firearms when they fly but I can't find any information about Canadian police pilots.

Are RCMP/provincial police pilots in Canada police also constables with full power and able to carry firearms or are they just civilians?

Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Are police pilots constables in Canada?

Postby Tango5 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:07 pm

In some provinces, Auxiliary Constables, while on duty and under the eye of an RM, aren't just "part time Civilian Assistants".
Out of curiosity, what province is your home?

Edit.
Good for you, go after your dream... Apply.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

machinegun
Rookie Member

Postby machinegun » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Tango5 wrote:In some provinces, Auxiliary Constables, while on duty and under the eye of an RM, aren't just "part time Civilian Assistants".
Out of curiosity, what province is your home?

Edit.
Good for you, go after your dream... Apply.

born in quebec, lived in ontario since 15, working in bc now

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Calgary has civilian pilots, Edmonton's pilots are sworn members, and Winnipeg has both.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:52 pm

One of my brother-in-laws was an RCMP Pilot. He was a Cst before he went on the Section, transferred from "E" to "F" to fly out of Prince Albert and shortly after got promoted, was transferred to "O" to fly out of Ball (?), was made a S/Cst, transferred to "E" to Prince Rupert to fly the Goose and take it for decommissioning, transferred to "F" to fly out of Regina, sent to "V" to fly out of Iqualuit as a Sgt, transferred back to "E" to fly out of Vancouver as a S/Sgt and retired. He was ERT at Richmond, so even got to do some ERT-leading of local containment either in Northern "F" or while in "V". The beggar had golden horseshoes hidden in a dark place!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 am

I know Saskatoon Police uses two members at a time in their plane. One member that is flying the plane and another to operate the Infrared camera and FLUR.
Police Constable

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 am

VanSmack wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:One of my brother-in-laws was an RCMP Pilot. He was a Cst before he went on the Section, transferred from "E" to "F" to fly out of Prince Albert and shortly after got promoted, was transferred to "O" to fly out of Ball (?), was made a S/Cst, transferred to "E" to Prince Rupert to fly the Goose and take it for decommissioning, transferred to "F" to fly out of Regina, sent to "V" to fly out of Iqualuit as a Sgt, transferred back to "E" to fly out of Vancouver as a S/Sgt and retired. He was ERT at Richmond, so even got to do some ERT-leading of local containment either in Northern "F" or while in "V". The beggar had golden horseshoes hidden in a dark place!

Only one u in Iqaluit. The word you wrote means something entirely different and unflattering in a Inuktitut.

Google it if you don't believe me.

Interesting how one letter can change things. For those who can't be bothered to google it, http://rabble.ca/babble/national-news/h ... ashed-bums
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:38 am

VanSmack wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:One of my brother-in-laws was an RCMP Pilot. He was a Cst before he went on the Section, transferred from "E" to "F" to fly out of Prince Albert and shortly after got promoted, was transferred to "O" to fly out of Ball (?), was made a S/Cst, transferred to "E" to Prince Rupert to fly the Goose and take it for decommissioning, transferred to "F" to fly out of Regina, sent to "V" to fly out of Iqualuit as a Sgt, transferred back to "E" to fly out of Vancouver as a S/Sgt and retired. He was ERT at Richmond, so even got to do some ERT-leading of local containment either in Northern "F" or while in "V". The beggar had golden horseshoes hidden in a dark place!

Only one u in Iqaluit. The word you wrote means something entirely different and unflattering in a Inuktitut.

I certainly meant no disrespect, and I apologize for my bad typing and lack of knowledge.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:48 pm

OPP Pilots are Sgt's. They advertise for civilian pilots but the reality is they'll likely continue to hire internally from the police ranks.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
VanSmack wrote:

I certainly meant no disrespect, and I apologize for my bad typing and lack of knowledge.

I highly doubt anyone on this site would ever think you would mean to disrespect an entire group of people.
K division.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:02 pm

We have both fixed wing and rotor pilots. Our chief pilot is an ex staff Sgt. All are members only.