***ASK A VICPD RECRUITER***

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

***ASK A VICPD RECRUITER***

Postby Greg Holmes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi,

I am Sgt Greg Holmes and I am the recruiting Sergeant for the Victoria Police Department.

I am posting this topic to give you an opportunity to ask questions about the VicPD recruiting process. I hope to check in every couple of days to answer questions and to update the forum with any potential job openings.

For detailed information and answers to most of your questions, I would invite everyone to visit our website at http://www.vicpd.ca click on the "careers tab" and scroll down the list of options. The FAQ section has answers to most of the questions we are asked on a daily basis.

For those of you who live in the Greater Victoria area we will be hosting a Public Information Session on April 23rd at 6:30pm and 7:30 at the downtown Greater Victoria Library. If you do not live in the immediate area there will be an online Public Information session, where you will be able to ask questions and interact live. For further details please check our website at http://www.vicpd.ca for dates and times.

**Please do not ask me about specicfic medical questions as I am not a medical practitioner and will not be able to speak to a specific diagnosis that may or may not prevent you from being successful applicant.**

I look forward to hearing from you.
Sgt Holmes

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Re: ***ASK A VICPD RECRUITER***

Postby MasterPlanMan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Hello Sgt. Holmes,

Thank you for taking the time to visit and answer questions. As an Ontario resident looking West, how does Victoria PD view out of province applicants? Connections to the city are preferable, I'm sure, but is it unheard of to be a successful applicant without prior roots in Victoria?

Thanks again.

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:14 pm

We receive cover letters/resumes from all over the country. If you are a competitive candidate, we would still consider you, irrespective of geographical location.

Community engagement is important to our organization but we would look at what you are currently doing to better your own community and how that may be beneficial to to the community of Victoria.

The only challenge is that you may have to make a few trips out to Victoria to complete the selection process. Unfortunatley, we are not in a position to expedite our process in one or two days. However, we are sensitive to the needs of candidates who are travelling long distances and try to pre-arrange multiple appointments.

Hope that helps.

sinj91
Rookie Member

Postby sinj91 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:36 am

Dear Sgt. Holmes,

Thank you for taking the time to do this. My apologies in advanced if this has already been answered elsewhere but I'm having a little trouble finding the application (have been looking all over the website). Do I wait until it opens up in the job posting section or is this a paper application? Just to make a note of it, I am also an out-of-province applicant. The application wouldn't be like Vancouver PD where you need pick it up from the career presentation? I appreciate your response.

Cheers,
Sin

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Sin,

Thanks for your message. We only require a cover letter and resume to show your interest in the constables selection process. We send out an application package later in the process.

Thanks again for you interest,

sinj91
Rookie Member

Postby sinj91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 am

Greg Holmes wrote:Hi Sin,

Thanks for your message. We only require a cover letter and resume to show your interest in the constables selection process. We send out an application package later in the process.

Thanks again for you interest,

Thank you Sgt. Holmes! I appreciate your response back. I look forward to applying with the Victoria Police Department.

Cheers,
Sin

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 am

For those of you who live in the Greater Victoria area, we will be hosting a Public Information Session "Coffee with a Cop" on April 23rd at 6:30pm and 7:30pm. We will be hosting this event at the downtown Greater Victoria Library. It will be an opportunity to learn about our career openings, forecasted job opportunities and the VicPD recruiting process for selecting constables.

If you do not live in the immediate area we will be hosting an online Public Information session, where you will be able to ask questions and interact live. The date for the online forum will be set in the near furture. For further details please check our website at http://www.vicpd.ca for dates and times.

Sgt Greg Holmes

TKM_
Rookie Member

Postby TKM_ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Hello Sgt. Holmes,

I've got two questions I was hoping to have answered. First off, is there a specific time of year that the department does its recruiting/has potential job openings or is submitting a cover letter and resume at any time acceptable? Second, if I am deemed to be not a competitive applicant, is there a certain amount of time that I must wait to resubmit a letter of interest and resume?

I will be sure to check out the online public information session when it happens.

Thank you.

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:53 am

Good Morning TKM,

The VicPD is always accepting cover letters and resumes. Our job openings are fluid and we can forecast how many positions we will need to fill due to retirements and other contributing factors.

If at anytime you receive a letter from us indicationg that you may not be suitable at this time, then you can apply when you feel ready to re-submit your cover letter/resume. Generally candidates wait one year. If you have challenges with the Asessment Center you must wait 2 years. If a candidate gets a 3- score then they must wait that minimum 2 years before they can attempt the assessment center again.

Hope that helps,
Sgt Holmes

LPApplicant
Rookie Member

Postby LPApplicant » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Good Morning Sgt. Holmes,

Wondering if there is any further information on the online public information session for those applicants that do not live in the immediate area. I've been checking the website regularly but have yet to see anything.

Thanks in advance,

LP

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi,

Great question and sorry for any confusion on my part.

The "online" public information session will be the second such session in a series that will occur throughout the year. The date for the online session has not been set. I am hoping to set a date in the early summer.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope that helps.

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello,
I just wanted to update the post and remind everyone who is considering entering into the VicPD constable selection process, that there are parts of the process you do not require an invitation to attend. For VicPD the first two stages are the Language Proficiency Index (LPI), with a minimum score of 5/6 to pass and the Police Officers Physical Abilities Test (POPAT),with a time of 4:15 to pass.
Candidates can pre register to complete both of these steps prior to submitting a cover letter/resume or being invited for a screening interview.
Your local college should have information about how and where to complete the LPI. In Victoria, PISE at Camosun College offers the official POPAT test. If you are from out of town a simple google search of POPAT in your area will give you details.

Sgt Holmes

ohmaii
Rookie Member

Postby ohmaii » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi Sgt. Holmes,

Do you accept previous LPI scores and/or POPAT times? For example, do the scores have to have been completed within the past year, two years, and etc?

Thanks,
Linda

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your question. You can submit your LPI at anytime and does not have to be recent. Your POPAT score should be up to date and within the last two years.

Hope that helps,
Sgt Holmes

Greg Holmes
Rookie Member

Postby Greg Holmes » Wed May 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Good Morning,

I was able to attend the JIBC New West campus on May 2nd for the annual career fair. I was pleased to see all of the different agencies represented. It was a great opportunity to meet everyone who came to the fair seeking more information on a policing career and the recruiting selection process. I met some great people and really enjoyed chatting with such a diverse group of interested candidates.
Just a reminder to everyone who do not live on Vancouver island, we not only offer an excellent career but our lifestyle here can not be beat. You can actually afford to buy a house or condominium and you are only minutes away from all outdoor activities, vacation resorts, camping, great shopping and dining and excellent private/public schools. It is the best community to raise a family and enjoy life.

I just wanted to give an update on future job openings for recruit candidates who are interested in a career with VicPD.
We are forecasting several job openings in 2016, 2017 and 2018. We will have recruits in each of the classes offered at the JIBC in those years. We can predict these openings based upon the number of officers who are finishing their careers and ready to retire. I am expecting to hire 50 officers over the next 5 years. For a department of 243 members, that is a high number of openings.
It is a very good time for potential applicants to become involved in the selection process for VicPD.

For more information please feel free to visit the website at www.vicpd.ca.

Take care,
Sgt Holmes