Conservation Officer Positions-Ontario

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
redridinghood
Rookie Member

Re: Conservation Officer Positions-Ontario

Postby redridinghood » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 pm

hard to gage person's intent when posting on interwebs

Thanks for feed back guys, and good luck to those who applied

ontariomedic
Rookie Member

Postby ontariomedic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Just as a matter of fact, all newly appointed Conservation Officers in Ontario attend the Ontario Police College and study the same Basic Police Constable program as every other police officer in Ontario, in fact the conservation recruits are assigned to their home room class based on their last name just like every other officer assigned to the program.
With that said, I agree with most posters on this forum in that a significant amount of material learned will never apply to a conservation officer. They essentially have the same powers as any other police officer in Ontario.
The good thing for newly appointed CO's is that they do "NOT" have to pay a single dime to attend the program (as opposed to all other police recruits who need to pay $7,500 to attend OPC post hiring from their respective police services). The topic of discussion that I am hearing is that many people are now wondering just how many recent graduates will bail from the MNR and join a police force.

bluejaysfan1985
Rookie Member

Postby bluejaysfan1985 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:08 pm

For those who have applied, I know it's early but has anyone heard anything yet?

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:37 pm

ontariomedic wrote:The topic of discussion that I am hearing is that many people are now wondering just how many recent graduates will bail from the MNR and join a police force.

In my experience, the exact opposite has happened in the past. Many people who are "wired" to be a Conservation Officer took police jobs when job opportunities as a C.O. were few and far between and then jumped at the chance to go into a C.O. job once there was some hiring again.

Being a C.O. is a very different lifestyle than being a police officer (despite the similarities) and most people who get into that career stay in that career.

And in the C.O. world, not having to pay for your own training is now the norm for most parts of the country. WCLEA run by the western provinces is the same way, as is the Depot based program that Parks Canada Wardens and federal Fisheries Officers go through (although at WCLEA you're on salary, but for the Feds you're only paid a room and board stipend and don't get "hired" until training is complete).

KRASHED
Rookie Member

Postby KRASHED » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:57 am

From what I've seen and heard there are many police officers who take up CO jobs partway through their careers. Much like a PO who would like to get into a specialized unit.
Ontario Police Constable

bluejaysfan1985
Rookie Member

Postby bluejaysfan1985 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Anyone heard anything yet?

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Nothing on my end.
I don't have much luck with the conservation postings.
Usually not hearing anything means they moved on.

Unless someone heard back already
chase your dreams not the competition

bluejaysfan1985
Rookie Member

Postby bluejaysfan1985 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:31 pm

BC_Blue wrote:Nothing on my end.
I don't have much luck with the conservation postings.
Usually not hearing anything means they moved on.

Unless someone heard back already

Well it did say 4-6 weeks so all hope is not lost yet.

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:47 pm

From my experience applying to conservation postings.
Those that don't get selected don't receive the sorry try again next time email.

From what I hear is, If you don't have a background or degree in environmental studies or natural resources, then you don't have much of a chance.
Experience in law enforcement doesn't seem to carry a lot of weight.
(There has been the rare case where it does )

I could be wrong, right ? :drinking:
chase your dreams not the competition

Sens92
Rookie Member

Postby Sens92 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:56 pm

For those interested 18 ON CO jobs are up on the OPS site (3 are bilingual positions) and they are open positions. Deadline to apply is Aug 21. This is a big hire so I'm sure competition will be fierce as always. Good luck to all that apply. :mrgreen:

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Sens92 wrote:For those interested 18 ON CO jobs are up on the OPS site (3 are bilingual positions) and they are open positions. Deadline to apply is Aug 21. This is a big hire so I'm sure competition will be fierce as always. Good luck to all that apply. :mrgreen:

Open competition but will be used for internal movement. Chances of outside hiring next to nil ...

goleafsgo22
Rookie Member

Postby goleafsgo22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:35 pm

TripleChev wrote:
Sens92 wrote:For those interested 18 ON CO jobs are up on the OPS site (3 are bilingual positions) and they are open positions. Deadline to apply is Aug 21. This is a big hire so I'm sure competition will be fierce as always. Good luck to all that apply. :mrgreen:

Open competition but will be used for internal movement. Chances of outside hiring next to nil ...

EDITED. Received info.
Last edited by goleafsgo22 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:56 am

goleafsgo22 wrote:
TripleChev wrote:

This is what I've heard to. They only "have to" post these positions externally to say they did kind of deal.

I don't think that's quite right, they had to get the positions through the Asst Deputy Ministers Request to Recruit (RTR) committee review and you can't do that until the lateral transfer stuff is finished, once the job is posted laterals aren't taken into account anymore. MNR posts stuff restricted all the time, in fact this is some of the first I've seen posted open in quite a while.

That means the province has agreed to either increase or replace 18 FTE (Full time equivalency) positions. By posting it open that allows for any OPS employee to to bid on it and have a paid move if they're outside 125km, but if they hire a serving gamie for one of these positions I'd expect to see that newly vacant position posted in the future because the outfit has that number of FTE approved. Of course if they hire from somewhere else in MNR (like a park warden, enforcement intern, resource tech, etc) there may be no rush to replace that FTE.

Now that they're sending the guys to OPC they may just be waiting until they have enough spots together to put up a large MNR class too, who knows.

Good luck to anyone applying.

[edited 'cause I can't spell]
Last edited by Haweater on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 am

Haweater wrote:
goleafsgo22 wrote:
TripleChev wrote:Open competition but will be used for internal movement. Chances of outside hiring next to nil ...

This is what I've heard to. They only "have to" post these positions externally to say they did kind of deal.

I don't think that's quite right, they had to get the positions through the Asst Deputy Ministers Request to Recruit (RTR) committee review and you can't do that until the lateral transfer stuff is finished, once the job is posted laterals aren't taken into account anymore. MNR posts stuff restricted all the time, in fact this is some of the first I've seen posted open in quite a while.

That means the province has agreed to either increase or replace 18 FTE (Full time equivalency) positions. By posting it open that allows for any OPS employee to to bid on it and have a paid move if they're outside 125km, but if they hire a serving gamie for one of these positions I'd expect to see that newly vacant position posted in the future because the outfit has that number of FTE approved. Of course if they hire from somewhere else in MNR (like a park warden, enforcement intern, resource tech, etc) there may be no rush to replace that FTE.

Now that they're sending the guys to OPS they may just be waiting until they have enough spots together to put up a large MNR class too, who knows.

Good luck to anyone applying.

I think what he means is that these positions are likely to be filled by current MNR employees that are not currently COs but have experience relating or relevant to the CO positions.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:35 am

You're right, I'm sure they're all going to be going to people who have done the enforcement intern gig or current CO's that want a paid move somewhere.

The part I was thinking might not be 100% is "having to post them to say they did". Getting jobs through the RTR process now is an absolute bitch and not much gets done without a game plan. I'd guess they got posted open because there were so many positions and they didn't want to have to go back through the RTR again to repost them from restricted to open if they didn't get enough qualified applicants.

but either way, I wasn't part of the group that made the decision, so I'm just guessing.