Conservation Officer Positions-Ontario

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Ouwen
Rookie Member

Re: Conservation Officer Positions-Ontario

Postby Ouwen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:25 pm

If they wanted to hire current MNR employees, they would not have posted on the public website. Postings are only done on the public website after a posting has been done internally. Remaining positions are then posted on the public website. So anyone thinking otherwise, you can be sure they will be filling these positions fairly. This is also one of the largest amount of new hires I have ever seen posted for CO's by the MNR...

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Ouwen wrote:If they wanted to hire current MNR employees, they would not have posted on the public website. Postings are only done on the public website after a posting has been done internally. Remaining positions are then posted on the public website. So anyone thinking otherwise, you can be sure they will be filling these positions fairly. This is also one of the largest amount of new hires I have ever seen posted for CO's by the MNR...

Uh...where have you been for the last bit? There was a larger posting already this year. And this is the Ontario government; fair is not in their vocabulary. If you think closed door deals don't happen within the hiring process you're truly mistaken.

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Those two competitions this year is the first big hire (i.e. more than 1 or 2 positions at a time) I've seen at Ontario MNR for Conservation Officer positions in 20 years. It's impressive, and about time.

PLDenis
Rookie Member

Postby PLDenis » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

A position has opened with the National Capital Commission.

https://ncc-ccn.startdate.ca/#/career/i ... a7084d2cbb

Message-me if you have any questions...

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Looks like there's a couple of white-shirt positions open at MNR(F):

Regional Enforcement Operations Manager - Thunder Bay
https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.as ... obID=99260

and Manager, Provincial Enforcement Operations - Peterborough or Guelph
https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.as ... obID=99373

JK90
Rookie Member

Postby JK90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 am

Anyone heard anything from the latest posting?

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:55 am

JK90 wrote:Anyone heard anything from the latest posting?

No

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Testing took place last week.

SAW76
Rookie Member

Postby SAW76 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Any more news from the latest posting? I checked with recruitment because I haven't heard anything...I asked for a debrief once the competition is closed and the candidates are hired. Thought my resume application was bang-on...guess not. I'll be ready for the next one. Good luck to all candidates who proceeded to stage 2.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Interviews are this week.

Proteus
Rookie Member

Postby Proteus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Interesting posting for Enforcement Interns is up. Can anyone share some more information on this position? I used to think that Deputy Conservation Officers were volunteers similar to Auxiliaries. However this intern position seems to be similar to a Cadet program... but also mentions going to OPC? What's the likelihood of completing this internship and becoming a permanent CO?

Lots of questions kind of muddled up in one post but any insight would be greatly appreciated- thanks :)

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 am

Proteus wrote:Interesting posting for Enforcement Interns is up. Can anyone share some more information on this position? I used to think that Deputy Conservation Officers were volunteers similar to Auxiliaries. However this intern position seems to be similar to a Cadet program... but also mentions going to OPC? What's the likelihood of completing this internship and becoming a permanent CO?

Lots of questions kind of muddled up in one post but any insight would be greatly appreciated- thanks :)

Yes, Deputy COs are volunteers like auxiliaries.

Yes, the intern position is similar to a cadet position.

Yes, if you perform well you may get sent to OPC and get a limited CO appointment.

Yes, if you perform well your chances of becoming a permanent CO are pretty high.

I was an Enforcement Intern a little over a decade ago, but the hiring situation with Ontario MNR wasn't so great then, so I left for greener pastures outside of Ontario.

Proteus
Rookie Member

Postby Proteus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:31 am

warden602 wrote:Yes, Deputy COs are volunteers like auxiliaries.

Yes, the intern position is similar to a cadet position.

Yes, if you perform well you may get sent to OPC and get a limited CO appointment.

Yes, if you perform well your chances of becoming a permanent CO are pretty high.

I was an Enforcement Intern a little over a decade ago, but the hiring situation with Ontario MNR wasn't so great then, so I left for greener pastures outside of Ontario.

Great- thanks for the clarification! I suppose the DCO status mentioned in the ad implies a cross-designation between volunteers and interns... both having to be under the supervision of a CO.

I'll try my luck. Seems like a stellar opportunity.

TruckDuk
Rookie Member

Postby TruckDuk » Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am

Just throwing this out to anyone who can answer. Any info / link available for the physical fitness testing process to become a Conservation Officer?
Truck Trooper in the #GreatWhiteNorth MTO TEO II

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm

TruckDuk wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am
Just throwing this out to anyone who can answer. Any info / link available for the physical fitness testing process to become a Conservation Officer?
Here you go

Good luck

https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/MoreInfo.aspx?JobID=70292