RCMP Ottawa Applicants

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

mountaindew
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP Ottawa Applicants

Postby mountaindew » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Passed my vision exam today and applied online as soon as I got home (I passed my hearing exam a few weeks ago). Been waiting to do this since I was a kid!

Also, next Monday night I'm going on a ride-along with the Ottawa Police Service. Should be interesting.

mountaindew
Rookie Member

Postby mountaindew » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Not sure if anyone's still following this board anymore but I thought I'd keep posting my updates here anyway.

So yesterday I did a ride-along with OPS in the West District (it got rescheduled since my last post) and it was a fantastic experience. We attended four calls, I met about a dozen officers, I got to see a suspect put into custody and booked into holding downtown, and we even attended a call with OPP. All this on a Tuesday morning and afternoon! I highly recommend it for anyone considering a policing career, you'll learn a wealth of advice and information.

I first sent in my ride-along application in July and wasn't put in touch with a constable until October, so apply as early as you can. Email the OPS general information address, ask them about the ride-along program, and they'll send you a PDF of the application package.

Also: today I received an email saying that within the next three weeks a recruiting coordinator will contact me with instructions on completing the selection package. Things are moving along nicely!

Bespoked

Postby Bespoked » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm in my fourth week at Depot, and I can honestly say that I love it here. They certainly do keep us busy though!
Ontario Applicant
RPAB: Apr 21/2015
SP Sent: Jun 06/2015
RMAQ: Jun 19/2015
RMSI: Aug 24/2015
PARE: Aug 30/2015 (3:53)
PEP: Oct 2/2015
PEP Review: Oct 28th/2015
PARE 2: Feb 28/2016 (3:46)
Psych: Mar 21/2016
Final Med: Oct 04/2016
Troop: Oct 04/2016

Iced Canuck
Rookie Member

Postby Iced Canuck » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Ottawans!

I'm just about to get started on my application process, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good places (cost wise) to get the vision and hearing tests completed in Ottawa!

Thanks, and I hope that everyone's application processes are going well!

mountaindew
Rookie Member

Postby mountaindew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Iced Canuck wrote:Hi Ottawans!

I'm just about to get started on my application process, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good places (cost wise) to get the vision and hearing tests completed in Ottawa!

Hey. I did my vision test at Barrhaven Optometric Centre for $191.00 and my hearing at Barrhaven Hearing Clinic for $65.00. Not sure how these prices compare to other places but hopefully they can help you shop around. Good luck :D

chmor

Postby chmor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:48 am

mountaindew wrote:

Hey. I did my vision test at Barrhaven Optometric Centre for $191.00 and my hearing at Barrhaven Hearing Clinic for $65.00. Not sure how these prices compare to other places but hopefully they can help you shop around. Good luck :D
Ive got my vision booked at the laurier optical in Findlay creek area off bank this week and its about $70 and my hearing test is next week at the Findlay creek hearing clinic also off bank and they are only $60. It was a bit of a pain getting into both places as they only have certain days of the week where they have staff that are certified to do the test.

Iced Canuck
Rookie Member

Postby Iced Canuck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Ive got my vision booked at the laurier optical in Findlay creek area off bank this week and its about $70 and my hearing test is next week at the Findlay creek hearing clinic also off bank and they are only $60. It was a bit of a pain getting into both places as they only have certain days of the week where they have staff that are certified to do the test.
Those seem like pretty reasonable prices, I'll definitely take a look into those places. How long did you have to wait for booking those appointments?

chmor

Postby chmor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:14 am

Iced Canuck wrote: Those seem like pretty reasonable prices, I'll definitely take a look into those places. How long did you have to wait for booking those appointments?
I had to wait about 2 weeks because of availability. Talking to a few others I know going through, its the cheapest place to get the tests done.

ovo
Rookie Member

Postby ovo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 am

"ListenUp! Canada" does free hearing tests. I had mine done there.
Ontario Applicant...Deferred 1 year
RE-APP: March 19 2016
SP: April 18
RMAQ: April 24
PEP: July 5 - REC: Aug 22
MED/PSYCH: Aug/Sept - cleared: Dec 21
BGI: Jan 2 2017
FR: Feb 6
SC: Mar 2
TROOP: #34 MARCH 20

ADude06
Rookie Member

Postby ADude06 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 am

ovo wrote:

I had my hearing test recently completed at ListenUp! on Merivale, in Nepean, and it costed me $75. They filled out the RCMP form, etc.

Not free, so YMMV.

Iced Canuck
Rookie Member

Postby Iced Canuck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:11 pm

ADude06 wrote:
ovo wrote:

I had my hearing test recently completed at ListenUp! on Merivale, in Nepean, and it costed me $75. They filled out the RCMP form, etc.

Not free, so YMMV.
Have you gotten your vision testing done yet?

ADude06
Rookie Member

Postby ADude06 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Iced Canuck wrote:
Have you gotten your vision testing done yet?
I'm having it done very shortly at Barrhaven Optometric clinic. I unfortunately got quoted the same price as mountaindew posted above.

Oleg
Veteran Member

Postby Oleg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:36 am

VIsion test at Lunetterie New Look at the Les Promenades Gatineau cost me 120$ if you don't mind driving over the bridge.

Iced Canuck
Rookie Member

Postby Iced Canuck » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Anyone have any updates on their application process, would be interesting to hear!

ADude06
Rookie Member

Postby ADude06 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Iced Canuck wrote:Anyone have any updates on their application process, would be interesting to hear!
SP submitted in mid-June. Now the waiting game begins!