BC Corrections

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Rareform
Grand Poobah

Re: BC Corrections

Postby Rareform » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:32 pm

I'm not noanykey, but I do have an old work colleague from my hospital security days who works at KRCC full-time in Kamloops

He loves it, been a Correctional Officer for about 4 years now. He's the kind of guy that likes to slam out all the hours he can get, though.

Having said that, Corrections isn't for everyone. Every facility has it's own challenges, both on provincial and federal levels.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 pm

neggo wrote:
noanykey wrote:You're probably going to be Permanent Part Time. I have a friend that works in Surrey Pre-Trial. I think he's full time now but he's working so much OT.
I have a friend that just left North Fraser. PTT aux on-call.

I'd put a resume into BC Corr but that "I may be working, if the phone rings I have to go" mentality won't pay for my mortgage.

The posting on the BC Public Service site looking for CO's hasn't gone off in a year. They're *always* looking.
Hi noanykey,

How do your friends like working in corrections?

I plan on putting an application into both policing and corrections.
Another guy at North Fraser likes it. He's got seniority now and full time hours. He tells me that a new class gets the crappy hours for a few months, then when newer recruits finish training, the class previous to them get full time. That CO has applied to various police agencies as well.

The friend at Surrey likes it as well. He's been assaulted a few times though.
Both of them tell me that it takes a certain person to be a CO. The inmates will test you, they got nothing better to do. They're looking to prey upon you. Ask you for more dessert, longer shower times, etc.. If you give it to them, all the staff have lost. If you don't, you could get assaulted.

If you're trying to cuff up an inmate and it's not going your way and you strike them, it's so unbelievably bad for you. You'll get investigated and it's grounds for suspension.
Friend told me that he got injured and another CO put a rear naked choke on the inmate, that CO got suspended.

I applied to the BC Sheriff Service, and while they did like my 10+ years of bouncing, I wasn't competitive in other areas, so I'm working on fixing that. I've done my research in regards to BC Corrections, I don't think it's for me. I don't like the Use of force rules that they have, I'm well aware that its for my own safety but if someone is going to assault me, I am defending myself.

These are all things I've been passed on so I don't know if they're true or not. I am not a CO so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

PM some of the people who are actual BC CO's and see their thoughts. This place is incredible for knowledge, just go in humble. Sim, High, even some admin have been very helpful with questions I've had..
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi noanykey and Simplimatics,

Thank you both for your replies. My main goal in sight is to become a Police Officer but, honestly, any career in the law enforcement field is one that gets me excited. I feel as though IF I get into Corrections, it would give me a huge of amount of invaluable knowledge that I can potentially transfer over to policing (obviously adds to overall general life skills as well).

The only thing that is slightly off-putting is the part-time hours that Corrections advertises because I, as well, have a mortgage and a wife to support that obviously needs to be held above all else.

But realistically, these are things I shouldn't even think about yet because ultimately, I haven't even applied yet.

Regardless, I registered for an upcoming Corrections information session in a couple of weeks to get a bit more information.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:50 am

That's another reason I don't want to do it.

Minus the wife, I have a mortgage and expenses as well.
I currently work 3 jobs to live a comfortable life and volunteer as well.

Because you're an on-call employee, you're the bottom of the barrel so you basically have to wait by your phone. If they call, you MUST go. and that could be a 2am shift for a few hours..
I don't like the maybe I am, maybe I'm not working mentality for newbies. For how long that goes on for, who knows.. I can't risk it.
You're right, the things you'll learn there are going to help you pursue policing, one guy spent 2 years as BCCO, he just got hired to VPD.

I used to do police judo at JIBC (Look into that as well, the trainers are Sgt's with VPD). The very first thing they asked everyone who wanted to be a police officer, "do you volunteer?"
That volunteer trait is something all agencies look for.. but we're steering off topic with that one.

Good luck!
SAR Member

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Do you know how many months it typically takes for a part-timer to become a full-timer?

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:12 am

noanykey wrote:[
Both of them tell me that it takes a certain person to be a CO. The inmates will test you, they got nothing better to do. They're looking to prey upon you. Ask you for more dessert, longer shower times, etc..
Yes, don't be this idiot unless it buys you leverage, then only use it sparingly because as mentioned, the rest of us have to hear that the other guard gives it to them. Basic reply, ask the other guard then.
you give it to them, all the staff have lost. If you don't, you could get assaulted.
99% of the time this statement is wrong.
I don't like the Use of force rules that they have, I'm well aware that its for my own safety but if someone is going to assault me, I am defending myself.
Doens't BC Corrections use the same UoF model thats used across canada by most law enforcement? Defend yourself then as you are allowed under the model. Not quite sure you understand what you can do varies under circumstances.

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 am

neggo wrote: I feel as though IF I get into Corrections, it would give me a huge of amount of invaluable knowledge that I can potentially transfer over to policing
[fixed this for you]

"I feel as though IF I get into Corrections, it would give me some amount of knowledge that I can potentially transfer over to policing."

Find a majority of police or COs who disagree, but you won't.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 am

See.. I got put in my place. :)

Sorry, Madeline.
SAR Member

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks, both!

The info session is next week, so I'm sure I'll get a good bunch of information then.

tenacity
Rookie Member

Postby tenacity » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 am

neggo wrote:Hi noanykey and Simplimatics,
The only thing that is slightly off-putting is the part-time hours that Corrections advertises because I, as well, have a mortgage and a wife to support that obviously needs to be held above all else.
Be prepared, the hourly wage is quite low. They do hire full time off the street, depending which centre you are hired into.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 am

Take into effect the union dues and the other stuff that may come out of your paycheck as well.
SAR Member

echo92
Rookie Member

Postby echo92 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 am

I work in BC corrections right now
as far as the part time on call thing goes
depending on the time of the year you can end up working more than full time regular hours
examples would be summer and around Christmas time,
however you are guaranteed 35 hours bi weekly
full time can take anywhere from as little as a few weeks to a few months depending on operational needs and how competitive you were in the hiring process

As many have said its not the greatest job when it comes to paying off the mortgage, but once you become full time on a reasonable pattern such as a 4 and 4 you can end up working a second job on your 4 days off to help supplement the income

Tommy85
Rookie Member

Postby Tommy85 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi,

I have my COPAT and REACT tests next week but just wanted to ask if I should turn up in my running gear, or should I get suited up and take my running things to change into?

I'm not sure how formal a process this is.

Thanks in advance.

fantasy_freak08
Rookie Member

Postby fantasy_freak08 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi guys, I just found out i'll be starting my training at North Fraser Pretrial in January. I was wondering if anyone is in the same boat as I am, if so shoot me a PM, maybe we can make the process less stressful for each other. :D

Kasper
Rookie Member

Postby Kasper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi,

I have my COPAT and REACT tests next week but just wanted to ask if I should turn up in my running gear, or should I get suited up and take my running things to change into?

I'm not sure how formal a process this is.

Thanks in advance.
Probably a little late to the party, but I'll respond for the benefit of others with the same question.

I turned up for the REACT in business casual clothing, a nice button-up shirt, khakis and sensible shoes. I brought my running gear in a bag and got changed before the COPAT. They hired me, so I guess it was a good approach :D
Veni. Vidi. Vici.