BC Corrections

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

matic92
Rookie Member

Re: BC Corrections

Postby matic92 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:58 am

Nesdolian wrote:Be mindful of the amount of hours guaranteed to you to start. Most centres start you off as a part time regular which means you're only guaranteed 35 hours every two weeks. How they schedule those 35 hours + is up to them. I.e. You can be on call...

Full time is only 35 hours a week also (unless something has changed) so do the math on your yearly salary. Don't let the $30/ hr fool you. Not saying it's a bad choice, just know what you're getting into. :thumbsup:
Plus unpaid breaks

Nuthin18
Rookie Member

Postby Nuthin18 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:34 pm

I am thinking about applying for the b.c correction officer position and i am gathering information.
As far as I know, the training is for 6months, but is it full time 8am to 4pm? Or can the training be held in the evenings and weeknds? The wage seems so little to support the family in Vancouver. Especially you are only guranteed 35hrs for two weeks.
I am just wondering if there is flexiblity in traning hours.

Thanks

matic92
Rookie Member

Postby matic92 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:35 pm

Nuthin18 wrote:I am thinking about applying for the b.c correction officer position and i am gathering information.
As far as I know, the training is for 6months, but is it full time 8am to 4pm? Or can the training be held in the evenings and weeknds? The wage seems so little to support the family in Vancouver. Especially you are only guranteed 35hrs for two weeks.
I am just wondering if there is flexiblity in traning hours.

Thanks
Training is 6 weeks not 6 months

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:10 am

Should read some of the other posts on this thread.
A lot of good insight to BCCO.

It's low pay, especially for a family in Vancouver.. If you were working full time.

So it's even lower pay due to being part time/aux/on-call

Things to keep in mind... the proof is 3 posts above me.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Selenique
Rookie Member

Postby Selenique » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:54 am

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone here has any information about the BC corrections facility in Oliver. A friend of mine is in process of moving there pretty soon.
He would like to know if you guys have any info or ideas about renting / accommodation in Oliver.

On a side note, he's also wondering if anyone could answer if there's a chance he could get his grandfather's badge number? His grandpa used to work for BC Corrections before he was born.

Thanks guys!

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:21 am

I am currently working as a provincial correctional officer in another jurisdiction and thinking of relocating to BC. Consider the high cost of living in BC and relative lower wage, OT seems to be a MUST to me. What could be the likehood of getting OT shifts in BC?
Thanks a bunch in advanced.
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-present

matic92
Rookie Member

Postby matic92 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:59 pm

ygu31 wrote:I am currently working as a provincial correctional officer in another jurisdiction and thinking of relocating to BC. Consider the high cost of living in BC and relative lower wage, OT seems to be a MUST to me. What could be the likehood of getting OT shifts in BC?
There's OT every day, but it's not worth it IMO.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 pm

matic92 wrote:
ygu31 wrote:I am currently working as a provincial correctional officer in another jurisdiction and thinking of relocating to BC. Consider the high cost of living in BC and relative lower wage, OT seems to be a MUST to me. What could be the likehood of getting OT shifts in BC?
Hi, Matic92, Thank you so much for your reply.
I just got a chance to log in and saw your reply, and sorry about my very late appreciation.
I checked the entire BC correction topic and get many useful info from your post. It is so nice to have somebody warm-hearted like you. Eh, before I even applied, I already have a good thought about BC Corrections staff members :D .
I will apply as soon as my shoulder is healed (in order to pass COPAT). Hopefully, my current correction experience could make me competitive during the BC application process. Thanks again. :)
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-present

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:35 am

ygu31 wrote:
matic92 wrote:
Hi, Matic92, Thank you so much for your reply.
I just got a chance to log in and saw your reply, and sorry about my very late appreciation.
I checked the entire BC correction topic and get many useful info from your post. It is so nice to have somebody warm-hearted like you. Eh, before I even applied, I already have a good thought about BC Corrections staff members :D .
I will apply as soon as my shoulder is healed (in order to pass COPAT). Hopefully, my current correction experience could make me competitive during the BC application process. Thanks again. :)
Not long ago we had 3 COs in the province you work move out to BC after getting hired there. Two came back within weeks saying "hell no.' The one that stayed had family there so something to keep him there. Just tossing that out there.

Nesdolian
Veteran Member

Postby Nesdolian » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 pm

matic92 wrote:

Might want to clarify which centre has OT "everyday" as I can assure you it's not like that everywhere...

matic92
Rookie Member

Postby matic92 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Nesdolian wrote:
matic92 wrote:

Might want to clarify which centre has OT "everyday" as I can assure you it's not like that everywhere...
It is right now

Big_Kabosh89
Rookie Member

Postby Big_Kabosh89 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:30 pm

matic92 wrote:
Nesdolian wrote:
matic92 wrote: There's OT every day, but it's not worth it IMO.

It is right now

Where

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi,

How's the situation going with BC Corrections in regards to staffing? Are they actively seeking? If so, does that mean more full-time positions? Or just more vacancies open for regular part-timers?

Thanks!

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:15 pm

You're probably going to be Permanent Part Time. I have a friend that works in Surrey Pre-Trial. I think he's full time now but he's working so much OT.
I have a friend that just left North Fraser. PTT aux on-call.

I'd put a resume into BC Corr but that "I may be working, if the phone rings I have to go" mentality won't pay for my mortgage.

The posting on the BC Public Service site looking for CO's hasn't gone off in a year. They're *always* looking.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:46 pm

noanykey wrote:You're probably going to be Permanent Part Time. I have a friend that works in Surrey Pre-Trial. I think he's full time now but he's working so much OT.
I have a friend that just left North Fraser. PTT aux on-call.

I'd put a resume into BC Corr but that "I may be working, if the phone rings I have to go" mentality won't pay for my mortgage.

The posting on the BC Public Service site looking for CO's hasn't gone off in a year. They're *always* looking.
Hi noanykey,

How do your friends like working in corrections?

I plan on putting an application into both policing and corrections.