BC Corrections

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Highland2012

BC Corrections

Postby Highland2012 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 am

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how intense the basic BC Correctional Officer training is? I heard its 6 weeks of intense training but besides the agenda I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm currently in stage 3 of 6 with BC Corrections.

Couldn't find a BC Corrections topic so i figured i'd fire up a new one.

Cheers.
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Inserted
July 29th 2019: Psych Test - Written
Aug 20th: Medical Exam - Pass
Oct 22 Psych Interview -

Nesdolian
Veteran Member

Re: BC Corrections

Postby Nesdolian » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:25 am

Highland2012 wrote:Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how intense the basic BC Correctional Officer training is? I heard its 6 weeks of intense training but besides the agenda I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm currently in stage 3 of 6 with BC Corrections.

Cheers.
"Intense"is subjective. I thought it was pretty straight forward. I got 93% overall, however, others who hadn't been writing papers or tests recently (many years) found it more difficult. What centre are you applying for?

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37 am

Nesdolian wrote:
Highland2012 wrote:Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how intense the basic BC Correctional Officer training is? I heard its 6 weeks of intense training but besides the agenda I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm currently in stage 3 of 6 with BC Corrections.

Cheers.
"Intense"is subjective. I thought it was pretty straight forward. I got 93% overall, however, others who hadn't been writing papers or tests recently (many years) found it more difficult. What centre are you applying for?

I'm applying for Fraser. Sounds like were two peas in a pod with respect to being paper jockeys lol. I'm just about to finish up schooling this semester. Anything really physical I should watch out for? I train plenty throughout the week regularly anyway but it might be nice to know if there was some other type of PT testing they do besides the COPAT.
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Inserted
July 29th 2019: Psych Test - Written
Aug 20th: Medical Exam - Pass
Oct 22 Psych Interview -

Nesdolian
Veteran Member

Postby Nesdolian » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 am

Highland2012 wrote:
I'm applying for Fraser. Sounds like were two peas in a pod with respect to being paper jockeys lol. I'm just about to finish up schooling this semester. Anything really physical I should watch out for? I train plenty throughout the week regularly anyway but it might be nice to know if there was some other type of PT testing they do besides the COPAT.
lol nope!

pm sent.

Arc9
Rookie Member

Postby Arc9 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 am

Hi all,

Didn't want to start another thread so will simply hijack this one.

I recently applied for a few correctional officer postings here in BC.
I will be running the COPAT in a few weeks. After that I know there is a
Behaviorial event interview along with a digital voice stress analysis
Test. For those of you that have gone through this process what advice do you have and what types of questions will I be asked? How can I best prepare? Also how does the DVSA test work?

Any replies appreciated!

Nesdolian
Veteran Member

Postby Nesdolian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 am

Arc9 wrote:Hi all,

Didn't want to start another thread so will simply hijack this one.

I recently applied for a few correctional officer postings here in BC.
I will be running the COPAT in a few weeks. After that I know there is a
Behaviorial event interview along with a digital voice stress analysis
Test. For those of you that have gone through this process what advice do you have and what types of questions will I be asked? How can I best prepare? Also how does the DVSA test work?

Any replies appreciated!
There are no surprises. The competencies are listed and will be exactly as they are listed "tell me a time you demonstrated ______." The CVSA interview will confirm your answers in the lifestyle questionnaire you filled out to apply. Not a stressful experience unless of course you lied. Easy peasey. :thumbsup:

Arc9
Rookie Member

Postby Arc9 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:06 am

Great, thank you!

Ehrmantraut

Postby Ehrmantraut » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if you live out of province of they'll let you complete all the steps of your application in a day or two if you take the time to drive there? I live in Alberta now but applied in my hometown, and I'm hoping they won't expect me to drive there 2-3 times throughout the application and things can be done via email/scanning/Canada post and I can just come over to complete the COPAT and interview and what not. Thanks,

Michelle
CBSA Applicant
Written - Passed
Panel Interview - Passed
Psych - Passed
Security Interview - Reliability (Passed) Secret (Pending)
Med Cat III - Passed
PARE - June 28, 2016
OITP Stage 1 - May 30, 2016
OITP Stage 2 - July 18, 2016

Nesdolian
Veteran Member

Postby Nesdolian » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:52 am

Ehrmantraut wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know if you live out of province of they'll let you complete all the steps of your application in a day or two if you take the time to drive there? I live in Alberta now but applied in my hometown, and I'm hoping they won't expect me to drive there 2-3 times throughout the application and things can be done via email/scanning/Canada post and I can just come over to complete the COPAT and interview and what not. Thanks,

Michelle
They're flexible. I've seen them do conference call style interviews so you shouldn't have a problem. Keep in mind a lot of centres (prov) start you off as on-call part-time and it is in no shape or form glorious, especially considering the pay. Just food for thought. :thumbsup:

alimartin

Postby alimartin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 am

The 6 week training packs a lot in, but they set you up to do well. Come prepared each day and you should have no problem.

As for being hired on-call -- I'll say this, working on call is tough on your personal life. Especially if that drags on for a few years...

Arc9
Rookie Member

Postby Arc9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Signed the offer letter and have the medical coming up!
What use of force model does BC corrections employ/teach during the 6 weeks training? I see on the JIBC website that there is one week alotted to this.

Rareform
Grand Poobah

Postby Rareform » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Arc9 wrote:Signed the offer letter and have the medical coming up!
What use of force model does BC corrections employ/teach during the 6 weeks training? I see on the JIBC website that there is one week alotted to this.
Congratulations! Care to share what institute you'll be going to?

As far as UoF models go, they generally tend to be standard fair and all the same. The only difference is what tools you do/don't determine how high you go up the model. Having said that, I would imagine a CO could shed much better light on this.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Nesdolian wrote:

Cheers.

What happened with BC Corrections to move into the Sheriff's?

I ask as I'm weighing alternative options if I don't make it into the BCSS..
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Nesdolian
Veteran Member

Postby Nesdolian » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:24 pm

noanykey wrote:
What happened with BC Corrections to move into the Sheriff's?

I ask as I'm weighing alternative options if I don't make it into the BCSS..
I was there for 2 years and never heard of that. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Oh! I'm sorry.. That was meant for Highland. We're in the Ask a BC Sheriff topic as well.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member