Middle of nowhere

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Highland2012

Middle of nowhere

Postby Highland2012 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:46 pm

I was curious to know if there were any agencies that you know of that are hurting for applicants due to their geological location? I'm a mid twenties caucasian male and more then willing to relocate to anywhere in Canada. I'm putting in my app with the mounties but i was curious if there were other municipal agencies who might pick me up quicker because of my willingness to transfer out to the middle of nowhere. I did do a little research on my own looking up small town municipalities like Lacomb, or Deep River, but there not hiring untrained police applicants.

Cheers
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: Middle of nowhere

Postby basketcase » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Deep River, Ontario? You think that's the middle of nowhere?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

otwobjj
Rookie Member

Postby otwobjj » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:23 pm

RCMP is a good choice.

CBSA and Ontario corrections are hiring as well...

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:08 pm

basketcase wrote:Deep River, Ontario? You think that's the middle of nowhere?

...when you grow up there it sure feels like it :mrgreen:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I was curious to know if there were any agencies that you know of that are hurting for applicants due to their geological location? I'm a mid twenties caucasian male and more then willing to relocate to anywhere in Canada. I'm putting in my app with the mounties but i was curious if there were other municipal agencies who might pick me up quicker because of my willingness to transfer out to the middle of nowhere. I did do a little research on my own looking up small town municipalities like Lacomb, or Deep River, but there not hiring untrained police applicants.

Cheers

Their... what?... location.

Ah, Three stones down and two over to the left. :mrgreen:
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:27 pm

opp2 wrote:You will find that most small forces will hire officers willing to lateral over because it costs a lot of time and energy to train an officer to the point where they can manage on their own. Being willing to relocate to the middle of Upper Rubber Boot will not make you more attractive to a small town force, but It might to the OPP or RCMP.

What opp2 says is 100% correct.

The only small town police service left in Alberta is Taber. They recruit and train new officers on an infrequent basis.

You might want to look at Lethbridge, Camrose, or Medicine Hat.

By the way, Lacombe is a city, with a 10 minute drive to Red Deer, and an hour to Edmonton. Not geographically in the middle of nowhere.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I was curious to know if there were any agencies that you know of that are hurting for applicants due to their geological location? I'm a mid twenties caucasian male and more then willing to relocate to anywhere in Canada. I'm putting in my app with the mounties but i was curious if there were other municipal agencies who might pick me up quicker because of my willingness to transfer out to the middle of nowhere. I did do a little research on my own looking up small town municipalities like Lacomb, or Deep River, but there not hiring untrained police applicants.

Cheers

I would think it's probably better to apply with big services that are hiring a lot, compared to a small town force that may only hire a short few. And I'm sure if those small towns are looking for applicants, they probably would prefer their own to apply.

I would try growing cities, such as Edmonton.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:42 pm

As OPP2 mentioned, small communities either hire from DEO lateral (current officers of other services transfer over) OR they tend to hire people living in their community.

Smaller communities typically equate to smaller services, police and future hiring numbers.
Many also see relatively high numbers of applications.

Toronto Police may see 20,000 applications in a year with 200 spots hired.
A smaller community may see 1,000 applications with only 3 hired.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:48 am

I would think it's probably better to apply with big services that are hiring a lot, compared to a small town force that may only hire a short few. And I'm sure if those small towns are looking for applicants, they probably would prefer their own to apply.

Yep. Edmonton is planning on hiring 120/year for the next 5 years. I don't even think there's 1000 applicants/year out here with the booming economy. The odds are really good out this way. I think for one class it was 50/50.
Hired Goon

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Hired Goon wrote:

Yep. Edmonton is planning on hiring 120/year for the next 5 years. I don't even think there's 1000 applicants/year out here with the booming economy. The odds are really good out this way. I think for one class it was 50/50.

I quote from a news article from a media outlet regarding EPS hiring:

" Recruit applications in 2014 are generally on par with 2013, when EPS had 470. This year,192 people have applied."

I think it came out in June 2014.

CharlieVictor
Rookie Member

Postby CharlieVictor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:53 am

From what I have heard NAPS has a hard time recruiting officers because of its remote location as a police service. If you're willing to relocate to northern Ontario and experience a different life style it might be for you. Worth a shot if policing is your dream and you don't care where it is that you work
Police Constable

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:48 am

allbrancereal wrote:
Hired Goon wrote:

I quote from a news article from a media outlet regarding EPS hiring:

" Recruit applications in 2014 are generally on par with 2013, when EPS had 470. This year,192 people have applied."

I think it came out in June 2014.

Calgary the same?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Edmonton only gets 200 applicants? When hiring for 120 spots... Why is the applicant pool so small?

I remeber reading that Calgary gets approx 3,500 applicants per year. About 700 of which are from out-of-province.

Toronto = approx 20,000 applicants / year for 180 to 200 spots hired.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

ottmed
Rookie Member

Postby ottmed » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:09 pm

mack_silent wrote:Edmonton only gets 200 applicants? When hiring for 120 spots... Why is the applicant pool so small?

cause who the hell wants to live in edmonton