leon123r requires your input.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
BROVO26
Regular Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Home sweet home
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby BROVO26 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:31 am

devilwoman wrote:With the workload TPS officers are faced with they are essentially "floor squeegees".....they do what they can to keep the dirt and water away as it keeps coming. Most do the best they can, but there's a tonne of things that work against the police of today vs the police of 30 years ago. Our society has greatly changed.

As for the officers who do it just for the money being the ones who abuse their authority......I'd love to know how you came up with this conclusion. I tend to think that such behaviour is more related to psychological issues within those people, not how they view their job or the income portion of it. I've seen $12/hr S/G abuse their "authority", so your argument is moot. If people, including police, are going to break the rules and the rule of law, it has everything to do with their character, their morales and them, as a person, not how they feel about their job vs the pay they receive for it.

People who serve in the emergency services, the vast majority, do it because they love the job and what they do, but aren't stupid people either. They aren't going to work for peanuts a day to be puked on, spit at, shit on (yes shit on...it happens), be bitten, punched, choked, etc while working crazy shifts that takes years off ones life (not to mention quality of life), not be able to eat for hours due to a call, be away from loved ones during holidays, birthdays, etc..

I think back to when I made $10/hr patrolling Toronto Housing and, as much as I had fun, I also think I was bat crap crazy for doing it for that amount of money compared to what I make now. That was the 21 year old me.....things change as you get older and your priorities change.

It's nice to be full of pie eyed optimism about policing or LE, but as someone who's still a baby (yeah that's right, you're a baby.....as every single person on this board was when they were 19), it's probably not wise to chirp off about how people doing the job should feel about it.

As for juggling so many things in your life......get used to it. Wait til you own a home, have a family, work f/t (and need to continue taking courses in order to stay relevant or even get the postings you want), etc.. So suck it up buttercup.



Very well put :thumbsup:
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:22 pm

devilwoman wrote:With the workload TPS officers are faced with they are essentially "floor squeegees".....they do what they can to keep the dirt and water away as it keeps coming. Most do the best they can, but there's a tonne of things that work against the police of today vs the police of 30 years ago. Our society has greatly changed.

As for the officers who do it just for the money being the ones who abuse their authority......I'd love to know how you came up with this conclusion. I tend to think that such behaviour is more related to psychological issues within those people, not how they view their job or the income portion of it. I've seen $12/hr S/G abuse their "authority", so your argument is moot. If people, including police, are going to break the rules and the rule of law, it has everything to do with their character, their morales and them, as a person, not how they feel about their job vs the pay they receive for it.

People who serve in the emergency services, the vast majority, do it because they love the job and what they do, but aren't stupid people either. They aren't going to work for peanuts a day to be puked on, spit at, shit on (yes shit on...it happens), be bitten, punched, choked, etc while working crazy shifts that takes years off ones life (not to mention quality of life), not be able to eat for hours due to a call, be away from loved ones during holidays, birthdays, etc..

I think back to when I made $10/hr patrolling Toronto Housing and, as much as I had fun, I also think I was bat crap crazy for doing it for that amount of money compared to what I make now. That was the 21 year old me.....things change as you get older and your priorities change.

It's nice to be full of pie eyed optimism about policing or LE, but as someone who's still a baby (yeah that's right, you're a baby.....as every single person on this board was when they were 19), it's probably not wise to chirp off about how people doing the job should feel about it.

As for juggling so many things in your life......get used to it. Wait til you own a home, have a family, work f/t (and need to continue taking courses in order to stay relevant or even get the postings you want), etc.. So suck it up buttercup.


You say this as if you turn a blind eye to the corruption in law enforcement which is clearly visible throughout the world mainly in our American counterpart. As for the fact that psychological issues play a major role in actions? Of course it does, but when we look at politicians who are corrupted they seem perfectly fine, in fact that's why they were elected in the first place though correct? In regards to emergency services employees working for "peanuts", it's quite questionable when departments have an auxiliary/volunteer programs where people perform almost the same duties and work without pay (not TPS specifically).

It's also unfortunate that people now a days can simply label someone based on their age. Unfortunate to see these younger folks who are mentally and physically more capable of these older folks bounded simply by their age which has no correlation with their experiences and intelligence. Does age impact life experience? Yes it does, but I have also seen older generations who did not make anything out of their years and these "children" who are following their every step in achieving what they hope for in the future.

As for my current struggles I did not say anything which asked for sympathy points. I was directly providing more details to one of our forum members as he/she lacked comprehension and as a result needed more clarification. And of course i'll be waiting for the great things to come in life such as raising a family and entering a career which I had hoped to do for quite a while, of course after I finish my studies and other major things which is needed to be done now. I guess that's one thing age has an influence on and that's the time it offers. Will I get everything I want in the future? No I won't, this was clearly evident from my past experiences which I had accepted and as a result had learned from these mistakes. So "sucking it up" is not a problem to me as I treat these mistakes as a learning ground.
Last edited by leon123r on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
recceguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby recceguy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm

In what world of yours does an aux member do the same as a police officer? That statement just reinforces what I already knew.....you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

User avatar
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby devilwoman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Auxiliaries and volunteers do NOT complete the same or as you stated "almost the same" duties as regular members. They are prohibited from doing so. You need to do a little more research about your arguments before you post.

I have to say you sound more like someone who would be better served on the Copblock website than Blueline.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

User avatar
Lights
Seasoned Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Lights » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:37 pm

leon123r wrote:
devilwoman wrote:With the workload TPS officers are faced with they are essentially "floor squeegees".....they do what they can to keep the dirt and water away as it keeps coming. Most do the best they can, but there's a tonne of things that work against the police of today vs the police of 30 years ago. Our society has greatly changed.

As for the officers who do it just for the money being the ones who abuse their authority......I'd love to know how you came up with this conclusion. I tend to think that such behaviour is more related to psychological issues within those people, not how they view their job or the income portion of it. I've seen $12/hr S/G abuse their "authority", so your argument is moot. If people, including police, are going to break the rules and the rule of law, it has everything to do with their character, their morales and them, as a person, not how they feel about their job vs the pay they receive for it.

People who serve in the emergency services, the vast majority, do it because they love the job and what they do, but aren't stupid people either. They aren't going to work for peanuts a day to be puked on, spit at, shit on (yes shit on...it happens), be bitten, punched, choked, etc while working crazy shifts that takes years off ones life (not to mention quality of life), not be able to eat for hours due to a call, be away from loved ones during holidays, birthdays, etc..

I think back to when I made $10/hr patrolling Toronto Housing and, as much as I had fun, I also think I was bat crap crazy for doing it for that amount of money compared to what I make now. That was the 21 year old me.....things change as you get older and your priorities change.

It's nice to be full of pie eyed optimism about policing or LE, but as someone who's still a baby (yeah that's right, you're a baby.....as every single person on this board was when they were 19), it's probably not wise to chirp off about how people doing the job should feel about it.

As for juggling so many things in your life......get used to it. Wait til you own a home, have a family, work f/t (and need to continue taking courses in order to stay relevant or even get the postings you want), etc.. So suck it up buttercup.


You say this as if you turn a blind eye to the corruption in law enforcement which is clearly visible throughout the world mainly in our American counterpart. As for the fact that psychological issues play a major role in actions? Of course it does, but when we look at politicians who are corrupted they seem perfectly fine, in fact that's why they were elected in the first place though correct? In regards to emergency services employees working for "peanuts", it's quite questionable when we have an auxiliary/volunteer programs where people perform almost the same duties and work without pay (not TPS specifically).

It's also unfortunate that people now a days can simply label someone based on their age. Unfortunate to see these younger folks who are mentally and physically more capable of these older folks bounded simply by their age which has no correlation with their experiences and intelligence. Does age impact life experience? Yes it does, but I have also seen older generations who did not make anything out of their years and these "children" who are following their every step in achieving what they hope for in the future.

As for my current struggles I did not say anything which asked for sympathy points. I was directly providing more details to one of our forum members as he/she lacked comprehension and as a result needed more clarification. And of course i'll be waiting for the great things to come in life such as raising a family and entering a career which I had hoped to do for quite a while, of course after I finish my studies and other major things which is needed to be done now. I guess that's one thing age has an influence on and that's the time it offers. Will I get everything I want in the future? No I won't, this was clearly evident from my past experiences which I had accepted and as a result had learned from these mistakes. So "sucking it up" is not a problem to me as I treat these mistakes as a learning ground.



Ohhhhh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:59 pm

devilwoman wrote:Auxiliaries and volunteers do NOT complete the same or as you stated "almost the same" duties as regular members. They are prohibited from doing so. You need to do a little more research about your arguments before you post.

I have to say you sound more like someone who would be better served on the Copblock website than Blueline.


recceguy wrote:In what world of yours does an aux member do the same as a police officer? That statement just reinforces what I already knew.....you don't have a clue what you're talking about.



Really? You guys are on the assumption that all volunteers/auxiliary emergency service members perform simple duties based on the fact that Toronto's volunteers are not able to perform full fledged duties of an actual member? Look at some parts of America, they have volunteer firefighters, police officers, and even EMS which perform the exact duties of a paid member with the exception of having someone who works there along side. If you would have noticed that I had included (Not TPS specifically) you would have known that I wasn't referring directly to Toronto.

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Here's something which took 30 seconds to find online. Hope you guys can gather information just as well as a 19 year old "child". No offence of course. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSZNnB7qC8 "The reserves are divided into three levels of power depending on training and experience... Level 1: Equal to full time officer" (5:20). I've done my research, have you?

User avatar
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby devilwoman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:27 pm

That's in the US.....auxiliaries and volunteers, as I've stated previously, are prohibited from completing full police duties. Comparing US based policing to Canadian based policing is severely flawed.

As for your research comment....you haven't done any research of any quality. I can pick out random videos that have ZERO relation to topics as well.

Go back to the classroom.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

User avatar
mack_silent
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 am
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby mack_silent » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Leon,

When it comes to Auxilary in Ontario, I don't know of any who perform police duties.
From my friends who volunteer with Toronto / OPP / Peel, I hear they do mostly parades, public events, and the occasional ridealong.

If your future aspirations include policing as a career, I'd suggest not arguing online with current members.
You're still young and at the bottom of the "totem pole". Ears open, take notes, and you'll learn a lot from the forum.
Good luck.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 pm

mack_silent wrote:Leon,

When it comes to Auxilary in Ontario, I don't know of any who perform police duties.
From my friends who volunteer with Toronto / OPP / Peel, I hear they do mostly parades, public events, and the occasional ridealong.

If your future aspirations include policing as a career, I'd suggest not arguing online with current members.
You're still young and at the bottom of the "totem pole". Ears open, take notes, and you'll learn a lot from the forum.
Good luck.


I thank you for your words and thank you for being someone who is capable of offering some valuable information without the need to look down upon me simply because of my age. However, I will not tolerate anyone who lacks basic comprehension and not regard this as a problem simply because they are older. I do not consider what I have said as an argument but more of an opinion and possibly a grounds for educational purposes as some members cannot understand what I am saying let alone the meaning of "some".
Last edited by leon123r on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm

devilwoman wrote:That's in the US.....auxiliaries and volunteers, as I've stated previously, are prohibited from completing full police duties. Comparing US based policing to Canadian based policing is severely flawed.

As for your research comment....you haven't done any research of any quality. I can pick out random videos that have ZERO relation to topics as well.

Go back to the classroom.


Like I had said before if you were competent enough to comprehend the meaning of "Not TPS specifically". I have not once specified what I had said directly to TPS nor any Canadian agencies. I had said "officers" and if you had noticed this is not pertaining to any specific department what so ever. You along with another member of this forum had indicated that volunteer/auxiliary do not perform the same duties as a full fledged officer. I had corrected you with the American counterpart as I had not specifically directed these volunteer/auxiliary members to Toronto. You made a statement, I corrected it. Simple as that. This is an utterly embarrassment for a "child" to be more knowledgeable than someone who thinks they are automatically better simply because of age. It appears that you should go back to the classroom, not me. Hope this can provide you the evidence that age does not come into consideration when testing the knowledge of individuals.

And this is not research of quality? Other than the fact that it did take me 30 seconds to find on google what better information is out there other than primary research obtained directly from the LAPD "reserve" officers (class example of volunteers performing duties of a regular officer). And by the way, I corrected the following statements, "In what world of yours does an aux member do the same as a police officer?" as well as "Auxiliaries and volunteers do NOT complete the same or as you stated "almost the same" duties as regular members. They are prohibited from doing so." with just this video alone. So yes, this video is relevant when pertaining to your statements.

ottmed
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby ottmed » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Image

User avatar
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby devilwoman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:46 pm

I had a lengthy response done up, then realized I'm not going to have a battle of wits with someone who is so very obviously unarmed.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:06 pm

devilwoman wrote:I had a lengthy response done up, then realized I'm not going to have a battle of wits with someone who is so very obviously unarmed.


You're welcome. Hope you learned something new.

User avatar
RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 pm

leon123r wrote:
devilwoman wrote:I had a lengthy response done up, then realized I'm not going to have a battle of wits with someone who is so very obviously unarmed.


You're welcome. Hope you learned something new.


Don't be so argumentative, Devilwoman has been working in various security/law enforcement jobs since before you were alive. Instead of arguing, take a minute to reflect on what she's said....... might learn a thing or two, I know she's taught me a thing or two over the years.... longer I work in this field, the more I realize how little I know in the grand scheme.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, amills90, sam89 and 13 guests