leon123r requires your input.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

leon123r requires your input.

Postby leon123r » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 am

Good afternoon guys,

Hope all of you are doing well. As you can tell I'm new to this forum however it's not my first time on here either. I'm just wondering if you guys can give me some insight into what I should do in-order to progress my chances of getting hired when I apply to the Toronto Police Services. This will be slightly lengthy however any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

So a little information about myself; I'm currently a second year student (4 year program) at York University studying law and society. Although many students in my program want to become a lawyer, I on the other hand want to become a police officer. It has been a passion of mine ever since I was a kid to become a police officer (want to specialize into the homicide squad). I am currently 19 years old and other than juggling school work and volunteering, I have come to sites like this (BlueLine) to gain further knowledge into the field of policing. I am also pretty active (working out 4 days a week) and because of all these activities I am unable to work due to my hectic schedule (only time I work is during my summer vacation). I am also a visible minority and also speak another language.

So my question to you guys are..... A)I've read somewhere that recruiters are looking for applicants around the age of 25, I will be the age of 21 when I graduate. Will this be a problem? B)Lacking in work experience, will this become a problem despite my years of volunteering? C) If I am too young, would you suggest me volunteering as an auxiliary while working? (planning to work in the field of security for experience).

If you guys have any other useful tips or any information that would help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and goodluck to all you future and present candidates!

ML91
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby ML91 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:00 pm

leon123r wrote:Good afternoon guys,

Hope all of you are doing well. As you can tell I'm new to this forum however it's not my first time on here either. I'm just wondering if you guys can give me some insight into what I should do in-order to progress my chances of getting hired when I apply to the Toronto Police Services. This will be slightly lengthy however any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

So a little information about myself; I'm currently a second year student (4 year program) at York University studying law and society. Although many students in my program want to become a lawyer, I on the other hand want to become a police officer. It has been a passion of mine ever since I was a kid to become a police officer (want to specialize into the homicide squad). I am currently 19 years old and other than juggling school work and volunteering, I have come to sites like this (BlueLine) to gain further knowledge into the field of policing. I am also pretty active (working out 4 days a week) and because of all these activities I am unable to work due to my hectic schedule (only time I work is during my summer vacation). I am also a visible minority and also speak another language.

So my question to you guys are..... A)I've read somewhere that recruiters are looking for applicants around the age of 25, I will be the age of 21 when I graduate. Will this be a problem? B)Lacking in work experience, will this become a problem despite my years of volunteering? C) If I am too young, would you suggest me volunteering as an auxiliary while working? (planning to work in the field of security for experience).

If you guys have any other useful tips or any information that would help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and goodluck to all you future and present candidates!


I wouldn't worry about your age. Just keep working and volunteering consistently and stay out of trouble. Build good references. You should be a good candidate.

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:42 pm

ML91 wrote:I wouldn't worry about your age. Just keep working and volunteering consistently and stay out of trouble. Build good references. You should be a good candidate.


Thanks for sharing. I was just wondering what your opinions are on long term services. Would it be suggested that I stick with one volunteer/work experience for many years(> 3 years)? Or is it better to have several volunteer/work experiences (< 1 year)?
I've read somewhere that recruiters want people who are dedicated in what they do hence their long term service but not sure if having experiences at two separate places will make me look less "experienced" than others who worked at many places.

xamjl123
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby xamjl123 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am

leon123r wrote:
ML91 wrote:I wouldn't worry about your age. Just keep working and volunteering consistently and stay out of trouble. Build good references. You should be a good candidate.


Thanks for sharing. I was just wondering what your opinions are on long term services. Would it be suggested that I stick with one volunteer/work experience for many years(> 3 years)? Or is it better to have several volunteer/work experiences (< 1 year)?
I've read somewhere that recruiters want people who are dedicated in what they do hence their long term service but not sure if having experiences at two separate places will make me look less "experienced" than others who worked at many places.


Don't over-analyze it like that, you'll drive yourself crazy lol. Keep in mind there is not even a requirement for volunteer work. If you have the time to spare, and want to volunteer for something, then find something you enjoy doing and do that. Don't worry about how long or how many places you volunteer at, because that just makes it seem like you're only doing it to pad the resume, which isn't the case, right?

In terms of work, the recruiters are also human and understand that sometimes things just don't work out in life. So if you have had several jobs in a short period of time, they'll ask why.. but if you can justify the reason(s) for it then it won't be a problem. If the reason you have a new job every 3 months (or less) is because you "got bored" or whatever then.. that's another issue...

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 pm

xamjl123 wrote:Don't over-analyze it like that, you'll drive yourself crazy lol. Keep in mind there is not even a requirement for volunteer work. If you have the time to spare, and want to volunteer for something, then find something you enjoy doing and do that. Don't worry about how long or how many places you volunteer at, because that just makes it seem like you're only doing it to pad the resume, which isn't the case, right?

In terms of work, the recruiters are also human and understand that sometimes things just don't work out in life. So if you have had several jobs in a short period of time, they'll ask why.. but if you can justify the reason(s) for it then it won't be a problem. If the reason you have a new job every 3 months (or less) is because you "got bored" or whatever then.. that's another issue...


Great! Thanks for the reply. Although the requirements listed on the Toronto Police website does not indicate that candidates "have" to volunteer I've been told by an officer that candidates should volunteer (any volunteer is great for those wondering). Additionally, being apart of several volunteer clubs in the past and present I have come to appreciate the act of helping the community out and I will continue to do so regardless :D (may sound cheesy but I enjoy making that "small" difference). As to why I had brought this up I was just curious and trying to further improve my chances now that I have time to prepare myself.

And okay understood, was just wondering because I've been hearing that long-term experience is crucial and given the circumstances I am in (too busy for long-term work) I was just a little worried. Thanks again.

User avatar
basketcase
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3430
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby basketcase » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:47 pm

They, like any other police service, need to redeploy members who are afraid of police work to the front lines or tell them to leave and free up spots for people who want to be cops.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:43 pm

basketcase wrote:They, like any other police service, need to redeploy members who are afraid of police work to the front lines or tell them to leave and free up spots for people who want to be cops.


Agreed. There will always people who are in it just for the money sadly...

User avatar
recceguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby recceguy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 pm

leon123r wrote:
basketcase wrote:They, like any other police service, need to redeploy members who are afraid of police work to the front lines or tell them to leave and free up spots for people who want to be cops.


Agreed. There will always people who are in it just for the money sadly...


Whats sad about that? If I stopped getting paid I'd stop working. I do this to put food on my families table.....
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

User avatar
basketcase
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3430
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby basketcase » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Exactly. I think my point was confused with the fact that there are too many people running away from core policing duties and looking for a day job.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:36 pm

recceguy wrote:
leon123r wrote:
basketcase wrote:They, like any other police service, need to redeploy members who are afraid of police work to the front lines or tell them to leave and free up spots for people who want to be cops.


Agreed. There will always people who are in it just for the money sadly...


Whats sad about that? If I stopped getting paid I'd stop working. I do this to put food on my families table.....


Are you in it "just" for the money? There are people who are passionate about helping others out and actually doing good deeds hence the reason why most officers are in this profession. If you are only in it "just" for the money especially in a profession that relies on core fundamental values which is observed by the citizens then I can understand why some officers abuse their powers and consider themselves above the rule of law. Luckily for the officers of Toronto, salaries are a lot higher than in most places. This is the main reason why people want to join the police force. I'd rather have someone who cares about what they're doing than someone who's in it "just" for the money. There's a difference in worth ethics and values between someone who's passionate and someone who doesn't care about anything except money.

User avatar
recceguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby recceguy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:40 pm

leon123r wrote:Are you in it "just" for the money? There are people who are passionate about helping others out and actually doing good deeds hence the reason why most officers are in this profession. If you are only in it "just" for the money especially in a profession that relies on core fundamental values which is observed by the citizens then I can understand why some officers abuse their powers and consider themselves above the rule of law. Luckily for the officers of Toronto, salaries are a lot higher than in most places. This is the main reason why people want to join the police force. I'd rather have someone who cares about what they're doing than someone who's in it "just" for the money. There's a difference in worth ethics and values between someone who's passionate and someone who doesn't care about anything except money.


Am I in it for just the money? No I'm also in it for the selfish reason that I love this job because I find it fun. As for the salary being a lot higher in Toronto....well you're just plain wrong. Almost all services in Ontario are pretty much identical in what their members are paid.

Based on your comment here...I will surmise you're not a police officer. I won't burst your bubble as It's good to see prospective members with their rose coloured glasses who think that we actually "help" people on a regular basis.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

User avatar
livin' the dream
Regular Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Location: Dreamland
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby livin' the dream » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:20 pm

leon123r wrote:
recceguy wrote:
leon123r wrote:They, like any other police service, need to redeploy members who are afraid of police work to the front lines or tell them to leave and free up spots for people who want to be cops.

Agreed. There will always people who are in it just for the money sadly...


Whats sad about that? If I stopped getting paid I'd stop working. I do this to put food on my families table.....


Are you in it "just" for the money? There are people who are passionate about helping others out and actually doing good deeds hence the reason why most officers are in this profession. If you are only in it "just" for the money especially in a profession that relies on core fundamental values which is observed by the citizens then I can understand why some officers abuse their powers and consider themselves above the rule of law. Luckily for the officers of Toronto, salaries are a lot higher than in most places. This is the main reason why people want to join the police force. I'd rather have someone who cares about what they're doing than someone who's in it "just" for the money. There's a difference in worth ethics and values between someone who's passionate and someone who doesn't care about anything except money.


leon123r...for someone who is 1) a 19 yr old student and 2) states they are "unable to work due to (a) ... hectic schedule" that sure is a mighty high horse you're on. However, as you are merely but a child, living a child's life in a child's world with no real conception of the way things are I will be gentle.

Others will not.

They will be here shortly.

It seems you've completely and absolutely missed the point of what both basketcase and recceguy are trying to tell you. I can't speak for any other services, but there are just about as many sworn members working for TPS now as there ever have been in the recent past but there are not nearly as many boots on the ground as there once was. Think about what that means in the context of their answers to you...answers to questions YOU asked. Just because they are not the answers you wanted or expected does not make those answers wrong.

If (not when, but IF...and a huge, gigantic, almost insurmountable IF) you ever manage to get on the job and have a few years on the road behind you...I want you to think about what you've said above. In one fell swoop you've managed to impugn the good name of every police officer in general and every police officer with TPS specifically by saying you "understand why some officers abuse their powers and consider themselves above the rule of law". Then you go on to say "salaries are a lot higher" in Toronto and TPS officers are lucky for that as this "is the main reason" people want to work for TPS. In effect, you have branded every TPS officer as mercenary, money hungry, authority abusing thugs who don't give a crap about the people of Toronto, or the city itself as long as the pay cheques keep rolling in. A bit questionable from someone who wants to someday join those ranks I would think.
No contact...No complaint

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:22 pm

recceguy wrote:Am I in it for just the money? No I'm also in it for the selfish reason that I love this job because I find it fun. As for the salary being a lot higher in Toronto....well you're just plain wrong. Almost all services in Ontario are pretty much identical in what their members are paid.

Based on your comment here...I will surmise you're not a police officer. I won't burst your bubble as It's good to see prospective members with their rose coloured glasses who think that we actually "help" people on a regular basis.


As for the specification of just Toronto, that is my mistake. I said Toronto specifically because the forum we're discussing this in revolves around the Toronto police force and as a force which pays their members greatly it would be an excellent example for my explanation and something which we as members of Toronto can somewhat relate to. The message I wanted bring out is that there will always people who will be in it just for the benefits and salary with no regards to the true purpose of their career. Especially for the career of law enforcement in which people look highly upon it is crucial that each member delivers what is expected of them which I'm sure many of our officers do. When money comes as a primary interest there will be times when a few officers have no regards for anything else as money is their main interest. Compared to someone who is passionate and willing to help people on a regular basis off or on duty there is a big difference in someone like this as contrasted with someone who has no regards for anything but money.

The reason why I even said this was in relation to what Basketcase said, "... free up slots for people who want to be cops". As a citizen of Toronto who has an opinion, I feel that recruiting someone who has a strong passion in what they do will further represent the Toronto police force far greater than someone who is in it just for the money.

leon123r
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby leon123r » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:01 pm

livin' the dream wrote:leon123r...for someone who is 1) a 19 yr old student and 2) states they are "unable to work due to (a) ... hectic schedule" that sure is a mighty high horse you're on. However, as you are merely but a child, living a child's life in a child's world with no real conception of the way things are I will be gentle.

Others will not.

They will be here shortly.

It seems you've completely and absolutely missed the point of what both basketcase and recceguy are trying to tell you. I can't speak for any other services, but there are just about as many sworn members working for TPS now as there ever have been in the recent past but there are not nearly as many boots on the ground as there once was. Think about what that means in the context of their answers to you...answers to questions YOU asked. Just because they are not the answers you wanted or expected does not make those answers wrong.

If (not when, but IF...and a huge, gigantic, almost insurmountable IF) you ever manage to get on the job and have a few years on the road behind you...I want you to think about what you've said above. In one fell swoop you've managed to impugn the good name of every police officer in general and every police officer with TPS specifically by saying you "understand why some officers abuse their powers and consider themselves above the rule of law". Then you go on to say "salaries are a lot higher" in Toronto and TPS officers are lucky for that as this "is the main reason" people want to work for TPS. In effect, you have branded every TPS officer as mercenary, money hungry, authority abusing thugs who don't give a crap about the people of Toronto, or the city itself as long as the pay cheques keep rolling in. A bit questionable from someone who wants to someday join those ranks I would think.


I thank you for your hospitality however, stating that I do not have conception of how things are is false. I did not "impugn" the name of "every" officer as I had included the word "some" which means "some" officers, not all. As for you stating I had also impugned TPS specifically is also invalid as I had not included TPS in my argument prior to the statement of, "...consider themselves above the rule of law". Additionally when I had said that money is the main reason why people join TPS I was referring to the people who are in it "just" for the money. If you can refer back to the statement I had said previously as well as a sentence later on you would have noticed, "I'd rather have someone who cares about what they're doing than someone who's in it "just" for the money". The "people" I was referring to are the ones who are in it "just" for the money. As for the included word of "luckily" that is my mistake which I apologize for.

P.S, don't call me a child as this is not relevant and also false. If you think I am a child for stating my personal opinion which was clearly generalized then that is your fault. And yes, I have six days of class from Monday-Saturday where I volunteer twice a week on Tuesdays and Sundays. On top of that I have to juggle my studies as well as extra-curricular programs such as school clubs. And I'm not sure if you understand but most jobs do not consider temporary workers especially ones that have a schedule which change on a weekly basis hence why I work during summers when I'm free.

User avatar
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby devilwoman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14 am

With the workload TPS officers are faced with they are essentially "floor squeegees".....they do what they can to keep the dirt and water away as it keeps coming. Most do the best they can, but there's a tonne of things that work against the police of today vs the police of 30 years ago. Our society has greatly changed.

As for the officers who do it just for the money being the ones who abuse their authority......I'd love to know how you came up with this conclusion. I tend to think that such behaviour is more related to psychological issues within those people, not how they view their job or the income portion of it. I've seen $12/hr S/G abuse their "authority", so your argument is moot. If people, including police, are going to break the rules and the rule of law, it has everything to do with their character, their morales and them, as a person, not how they feel about their job vs the pay they receive for it.

People who serve in the emergency services, the vast majority, do it because they love the job and what they do, but aren't stupid people either. They aren't going to work for peanuts a day to be puked on, spit at, shit on (yes shit on...it happens), be bitten, punched, choked, etc while working crazy shifts that takes years off ones life (not to mention quality of life), not be able to eat for hours due to a call, be away from loved ones during holidays, birthdays, etc..

I think back to when I made $10/hr patrolling Toronto Housing and, as much as I had fun, I also think I was bat crap crazy for doing it for that amount of money compared to what I make now. That was the 21 year old me.....things change as you get older and your priorities change.

It's nice to be full of pie eyed optimism about policing or LE, but as someone who's still a baby (yeah that's right, you're a baby.....as every single person on this board was when they were 19), it's probably not wise to chirp off about how people doing the job should feel about it.

As for juggling so many things in your life......get used to it. Wait til you own a home, have a family, work f/t (and need to continue taking courses in order to stay relevant or even get the postings you want), etc.. So suck it up buttercup.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigCountry, oxlemar, SemrushBot, TBONE-182 and 13 guests