Want to be PO. My story/background. Chances? Suggestions?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Want to be PO. My story/background. Chances? Suggestions?

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:01 pm

I would like to become a PO one day and right now I'd like to get anyone's opinion on my chances of being hired (specifically the Toronto Police, but your opinions on other agencies are very welcome too!).

Here is my entire story/background. Take a look and fire away. Thank you!

I am 26 and turn 27 in December.
I am a Chinese male, 6'1 185 lbs in decent shape and will be upping my fitness level in the next year.
I was born in Hong Kong and immigrated at the age of 4 and have lived in Toronto ever since.
I am bilingual (English/Cantonese) but cannot read/write in Chinese, however I am fluent in speech and have no accent in my Chinese.
I have a clean record of course.
I am a dog owner (not sure if this is an asset?).
As of now I only have a G1 and will be able to get my full G license within a year and a half making me 28 at the earliest of my application (is this too old?).
I graduated from the University of Toronto 4-5 years ago in business management and have an Honours Bachelor of Arts. Now here is where my short story comes. I graduated and worked marketing and sales but after a while I realized I am not the type who can see myself being chained to a desk from 9-5 for the next 40 years of my life. About 1-2 years ago I decided on a major career change. I worked as a sushi chef for the past year and a half and am also a part time photographer (which I am also pursuing on the side and perhaps full time if law enforcement is not a viable option).
Right now I am taking a course to attain my security guard license and will work that industry until I am able to apply for the police.
I will also be getting my firearms license prior to my application.

Now, my main deterrence as of today is that I wear glasses. I am willing to go through with laser eye surgery (I'll also be making a thread to ask questions about this). However, before I make a decision on that, I'd like some opinions and even suggestions from people about the prospects of me getting hired realistically and perhaps what else I could do to stand out. I have spoken to police officers in the past and many of them have told me that mid-late 20s is actually a good age to apply because at that age you are more mentally and psychologically prepared and ready than younger applicants. They have also told me that holding a university degree and being bilingual are big assets and that I would not need police foundations at all to excel in the application process.

Any help would be extremely appreciated, thank you!

goaliegibson

Re: Want to be PO. My story/background. Chances? Suggestions

Postby goaliegibson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 pm

I love sushi. You're in.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 pm

IsaacYu wrote:I would like to become a PO one day and right now I'd like to get anyone's opinion on my chances of being hired (specifically the Toronto Police, but your opinions on other agencies are very welcome too!).

I am a Chinese male, 6'1 185 lbs in decent shape and will be upping my fitness level in the next year.
I was born in Hong Kong and immigrated at the age of 4 and have lived in Toronto ever since.
I am bilingual (English/Cantonese) but cannot read/write in Chinese, however I am fluent in speech and have no accent in my Chinese.
As of now I only have a G1 and will be able to get my full G license within a year and a half making me 28 at the earliest of my application (is this too old?).
I graduated from the University of Toronto 4-5 years ago in business management and have an Honours Bachelor of Arts. Now here is where my short story comes. I graduated and worked marketing and sales but after a while I realized I am not the type who can see myself being chained to a desk from 9-5 for the next 40 years of my life. About 1-2 years ago I decided on a major career change. I worked as a sushi chef for the past year and a half and am also a part time photographer (which I am also pursuing on the side and perhaps full time if law enforcement is not a viable option).
Right now I am taking a course to attain my security guard license and will work that industry until I am able to apply for the police.

Now, my main deterrence as of today is that I wear glasses. I am willing to go through with laser eye surgery (I'll also be making a thread to ask questions about this). However, before I make a decision on that, I'd like some opinions and even suggestions from people about the prospects of me getting hired realistically and perhaps what else I could do to stand out. I have spoken to police officers in the past and many of them have told me that mid-late 20s is actually a good age to apply because at that age you are more mentally and psychologically prepared and ready than younger applicants. They have also told me that holding a university degree and being bilingual are big assets and that I would not need police foundations at all to excel in the application process.

:twitch:

I think you got your answers already.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Tango5 wrote:
IsaacYu wrote:I would like to become a PO one day and right now I'd like to get anyone's opinion on my chances of being hired (specifically the Toronto Police, but your opinions on other agencies are very welcome too!).

:twitch:

I think you got your answers already.

Not really. They didn't tell me enough and I was also 25 at the time. One big question for me is is 28/29 considered too old and whether that would hurt my chances. And of course I'd like some suggestions on what I could do to stand out from the rest of the applicants.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 pm

IsaacYu wrote:

Not really. They didn't tell me enough and I was also 25 at the time. One big question for me is is 28/29 considered too old and whether that would hurt my chances. And of course I'd like some suggestions on what I could do to stand out from the rest of the applicants.

There are about 100 posts with similar questions on this forum, maybe even more. Do a search and you fill find your answers. It will take some serious hours to do so but you will find what you are looking for.

You are already standing out, believe me.

Btw, police work is 50% tied to the desk thing.
Last edited by Tango5 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:47 pm

There were several 40+ year old people in my troop. 28/29 is not too old.

IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Tango5 wrote:
IsaacYu wrote:

There are about 100 posts with similar questions on this forum, maybe even more. Do a search and you fill find your answers. It will take some serious hours to do so but you will find what you are looking for.

You are already standing out, believe me.

Btw, police work is 50% tied to the desk thing.

Will do, thanks! 50% is absolutely fine. It's the 100% that I really can't do.

red_coat wrote:There were several 40+ year old people in my troop. 28/29 is not too old.

40+ when they joined?

IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Also, in regards to my driver's license. I understand you need the full G to apply but does it hurt my application if I apply as soon as I get my G without much driving experience?

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:33 pm

IsaacYu wrote:
red_coat wrote:There were several 40+ year old people in my troop. 28/29 is not too old.

40+ when they joined?

Yes.

IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 pm

opp2 wrote:
IsaacYu wrote:Also, in regards to my driver's license. I understand you need the full G to apply but does it hurt my application if I apply as soon as I get my G without much driving experience?

While it would be helpful if you appeared to have more driving experience it is not the be all end all. HOWEVER -- if you have no driving experience this could be detrimental for you going to a busy traffic location.

Your age is about right for OPP and you have a few years of life experience to draw on, so when you respond to call you may have some idea what those involved in might be going through (ie financial pressures). We have limited (IMHO) requirement for those who speak Cantonese in most areas where the OPP polices, but there may be a need in York/Toronto where there are larger population of those who only speak this dialect.

At the end of the day, you will never know when the perfect time is, but the right time is now. Good luck.

I assume it would help if I have an auto insurance policy under someone else's vehicle so there's a record of when my driving started?

Would you recommend that I apply for auxiliary? I would only be applying for Toronto (preferred), York, Peel, and Durham region police, not OPP, which I assume has a greater emphasis and requirement on one's driving skills yes?

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:31 pm

IsaacYu wrote:
I assume it would help if I have an auto insurance policy under someone else's vehicle so there's a record of when my driving started?

Would you recommend that I apply for auxiliary? I would only be applying for Toronto (preferred), York, Peel, and Durham region police, not OPP, which I assume has a greater emphasis and requirement on one's driving skills yes?

What do you mean? > Bold
You wanna show driving record with out of actually driving?
Last edited by Tango5 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Tango5 wrote:
What do you mean? > Bold

Well, even if I got my G license, technically it means I have no real world driving experience since I am not on record of owning or operating a vehicle correct? My only issue now is that there's no way I'm going to buy a car before the application. So would opening a policy under say my girlfriend's car help and be considered "driving experience"? Not sure if that makes sense.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 pm

IsaacYu wrote:
Tango5 wrote:
What do you mean? > Bold

Well, even if I got my G license, technically it means I have no real world driving experience since I am not on record of owning or operating a vehicle correct? My only issue now is that there's no way I'm going to buy a car before the application. So would opening a policy under say my girlfriend's car help and be considered "driving experience"? Not sure if that makes sense.

You kinda wanna cheat to show driving experience without of actual driving.?
I hope I am misreading this. Have you ever heard of a thing called Security Clearance and Integrity issues?

IsaacYu
Rookie Member

Postby IsaacYu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Tango5 wrote:
IsaacYu wrote:
Tango5 wrote:
What do you mean? > Bold

You kinda wanna cheat to show driving experience without of actual driving.?
I hope I am misreading this. Have you ever heard of a thing called Security Clearance and Integrity issues?

No no no. I would be driving her car. As opposed to buying my own car to get that experience on record is what I'm saying. Sorry for the confusion. So what I mean is would that small amount of driving experience even account for anything.