Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Floydie
Grand Poobah

Re: Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Postby Floydie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:35 pm

John014 wrote:Any of the cheaters were usually ready to cheat from the onset and Depot had nothing to do with their choice.
This. I wasn't at Depot but the same principle applied when I was away for my training
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Regular Guy
Sage Member

Postby Regular Guy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:40 am

Last edited by Regular Guy on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macs mom
Rookie Member

Postby Macs mom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:56 pm

My hubby is in the application process currently, and it's starting to become more real that he will be leaving myself and our 3 year old daughter for depot within the next several months. Currently I am a stay at home mom Mon-Fri and work retail Saturday and Sunday. Trying to figure out what we will need to do to pay bills while he's away. We own our own home and do have family nearby, so I could potentially pick up extra shifts. However, my in laws are older and I would hate to rely solely on then to watch my daughter, as it would be very hard on them . My job wouldn't be enough to pay bills and daycare costs! Any tips would be appreciated :) thanks so much!!
Last edited by Macs mom on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicar1
Veteran Member

Postby Vicar1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Macs mom wrote:My hubby is in the application process currently, and it's starting to become more real that he will be leaving myself and our 3 year old daughter for depot within the next several months. Currently I am a stay at home mom Mon-Fri and work retail Saturday and Sunday. Trying to figure out what we will need to do to pay bills while he's away. We own our own home and do have family nearby, so I could potentially pick up extra shifts. However, my in laws are older and I would hate to rely solely on then to watch my daughter, as it would be very hard on them . My job wouldn't be enough to pay bills and daycare costs! Any tips would be appreciated :) thanks so much!!
One thing we are going to try is cash in two of my investments, which will pay our mortgage and car payments for six months, plus anything I don't spend while at Depot will be sent home. It's going to be tight living, but we'll be fine and I'm sure your family will be as well
Nov 2014 - CP
Nov 2014 -e-RPAB
Dec 14: SP ✔️
Jan 15: RMAQ ✔️
Mar 15: RMSI ✔️
Mar 15: PARE ✔️
PEP: Apr 15 ✔️
BGI: ✔️
Jul 15 Med/Psych: ✔️
Aug 15 Final suitability: ✔️
PARE#2: Oct 2✔️
Final health: 11-5-15 ✔️
SC: 11-09-15 ✔️
Troop:23

Regular Guy
Sage Member

Postby Regular Guy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Macs mom
Rookie Member

Postby Macs mom » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Has anyone ever stayed behind to sell your house, while your spouse moved to the location of their first posting alone? We are considering this, but the "what if" of our home taking too long to sell, or settling for alot less than what it's worth, has me really stressing out. The last thing I want to do right now, is to be apart for longer than we already have been. But I do see the advantage in doing it. My husband would be able tp stay in a room rental and pay about $800 less a month than we would have to pay if we all moved right away and had to rent a full house. Anyone do this, and it worked out ok for you? Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer!

Tig
Rookie Member

Postby Tig » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi Everyone!
My husband has sent off his application, and the waiting has begun. I just have a question in regards to moving with the RCMP. We were a military family before, so we always dealt with Royal LePage with the relocation stuff. But, how does it work as someone applying and becoming a cadet? I know the RCMP pays for the move once you are done at the Depot, but what about real estate fee's for selling and buying your home, to your first posting? Like I said, I remember in the military they always covered everything - but I am not sure how it is at the beginning, with the RCMP.
Thanks in advance! :)
06-2017 App Sent
07-2017 SP sent
07-2017 SP Reviewed
08-2017 RMAQ
11-2017 PEP

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Tig wrote:Hi Everyone!
My husband has sent off his application, and the waiting has begun. I just have a question in regards to moving with the RCMP. We were a military family before, so we always dealt with Royal LePage with the relocation stuff. But, how does it work as someone applying and becoming a cadet? I know the RCMP pays for the move once you are done at the Depot, but what about real estate fee's for selling and buying your home, to your first posting? Like I said, I remember in the military they always covered everything - but I am not sure how it is at the beginning, with the RCMP.
Thanks in advance! :)

Try this website

http://www.irp-pri.com/docs/policies_di ... INAL_E.pdf
Correctional Officer, CO2

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Tig wrote:I just have a question in regards to moving with the RCMP. We were a military family before, so we always dealt with Royal LePage with the relocation stuff. But, how does it work as someone applying and becoming a cadet? I know the RCMP pays for the move once you are done at the Depot, but what about real estate fee's for selling and buying your home, to your first posting? Like I said, I remember in the military they always covered everything - but I am not sure how it is at the beginning, with the RCMP.
Real estate fees are not covered for a newly engaged member's move to their first posting, but are for subsequent moves.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

bcwife
Rookie Member

Postby bcwife » Thu May 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi there,
I am brand new to this group, however I have done a lot of research in regards to the process for applicants as I have been following intently with my husband, and he is now in Troop 14 this July.
My question to those of you who have had your spouse go to depot, or for those of you who have been in depot, what do you wish you would have had, or thankful you did have, in regards to support from your family. I understand it's going to be a difficult 6 months and I want to support him as much as I can from 2 provinces away.
Thanks!

jacquevw

Postby jacquevw » Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 pm

bcwife wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:53 pm
Hi there,
I am brand new to this group, however I have done a lot of research in regards to the process for applicants as I have been following intently with my husband, and he is now in Troop 14 this July.
My question to those of you who have had your spouse go to depot, or for those of you who have been in depot, what do you wish you would have had, or thankful you did have, in regards to support from your family. I understand it's going to be a difficult 6 months and I want to support him as much as I can from 2 provinces away.
Thanks!

Hi there,
I am in the same troop as your husband. My wife has connected with a group on facebook that can answer questions like this too. If you want you can direct message me and I can connect the two of you. Might be able to help each other out while we are away at depot. We are in BC.
BC Applicant
16/12/16: 1 Year deferral @ SC due to residency requirement of 7 years (6.5 isn’t good enough)
01/18 Online App.
02/18 AOR
02/18 SP Received
02/18 SP Submitted
06/18 RMAQ
08/18 PEP
10/18 SC started
10/18 Med Started
02/18 Med Rec
03/19 SC rec

bcwife
Rookie Member

Postby bcwife » Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 pm

jacquevw wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 pm
bcwife wrote:
Hi there,
Thanks!

Hi there,
I am in the same troop as your husband. My wife has connected with a group on facebook that can answer questions like this too. If you want you can direct message me and I can connect the two of you. Might be able to help each other out while we are away at depot. We are in BC.
Thanks! I would love to connect with her. I PM'd you.

John014
King Poobah

Postby John014 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 pm

bcwife wrote:
Hi there,
Thanks!
When I was in Depot the most supportive thing my wife did for me was ensure she never let me get stressed out with home things. She knew I needed to keep my head in the game and not thinking about things going on at home. Other members partners were not as kind and it was obvious it was making them stressed out.

Also some of those "depot wives" Facebook pages can be filled with a tonne of drama that will just stress you out more than needed. Not saying your husband's troop mate's wives/gf's are going to be shit, but just know they will be ranging from 20-50 years old and various levels of stress/jealousy/maturity.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

bcwife
Rookie Member

Postby bcwife » Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm

John014 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 pm
bcwife wrote:
Hi there,
Thanks!
When I was in Depot the most supportive thing my wife did for me was ensure she never let me get stressed out with home things. She knew I needed to keep my head in the game and not thinking about things going on at home. Other members partners were not as kind and it was obvious it was making them stressed out.

Also some of those "depot wives" Facebook pages can be filled with a tonne of drama that will just stress you out more than needed. Not saying your husband's troop mate's wives/gf's are going to be shit, but just know they will be ranging from 20-50 years old and various levels of stress/jealousy/maturity.

Thank you so much for your reply. We have prepared financially, and have a family support system in place so that I have help while he is gone, this way he is able to focus 100% when he is there and not have to worry about anything back at home.

Was there anything that you liked receiving while at depot? I plan on sending care packages but I don't want to overload him with things as I know space is limited there, so trying to think of things that will actually be useful.

Yes, I have seen a few groups on Facebook that I thought would be a good support to talk to other spouses going through the same journey however- if it can be more of a drama group I may pass.

Thank you!

John014
King Poobah

Postby John014 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm

bcwife wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. We have prepared financially, and have a family support system in place so that I have help while he is gone, this way he is able to focus 100% when he is there and not have to worry about anything back at home.

Was there anything that you liked receiving while at depot? I plan on sending care packages but I don't want to overload him with things as I know space is limited there, so trying to think of things that will actually be useful.

Yes, I have seen a few groups on Facebook that I thought would be a good support to talk to other spouses going through the same journey however- if it can be more of a drama group I may pass.

Thank you!
I liked receiving a tonne of pictures of all the fun things my wife and kids were doing each weekend. These were sent electronically obviously. As for care packages it would be up to your husband on what he likes/needs.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer