Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Cage
Veteran Member

Re: Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Postby Cage » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:16 pm

renee88 wrote:Hi all,

My husband has passed his final review and has been waiting on this security clearance for the past 2 weeks. So hopefully he will be heading to depot in the near future! *fingers crossed*

I am a bit concerned about where he (and myself and our 3 little ones) may get posted though because I am in my 3rd year of a BCOMM and am hoping to go to law school once I complete my undergrad. In your experiences, how accommodating have the RCMP been in placing new members in a location somewhat close to a city with a university? We have discussed buying a house in the city, and my husband renting an apartment close to his detachment (or vise versa) but I would prefer that be a last resort!

Have any of you been in this situation, and is there any advice you can offer?

Thanks in advance!!

R.
My wife has her masters. I asked for the same consideration. They don't care, at all, you're sent where there's a need. Needless to say after several years I'm with Calgary PS now. My honest advice would be to plan on not having a career of your own unless he gets lucky coming out of Depot. It is a total roll of the dice for placement and has nothing to do with requests, desires or logic. You might get Red Deer, you might get Shamattawa. Your best bet is for him to really, really push for E or K division when the opportunity comes. At least there (save for a few spots) you're more likely to be close to a major city centre in those provinces.

nelly24
Rookie Member

Postby nelly24 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:51 pm

My boyfriend is currently in the process and waiting to hear about his polygraph results. A little nervous about him going to depot for six months since we aren't in the engagement stages or ready to make that kind of commitment...any advice? Also heard things can get pretty wild at depot and hook-ups happen...is this true or mostly rumours?

sumo12

Postby sumo12 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm

nelly24 wrote:My boyfriend is currently in the process and waiting to hear about his polygraph results. A little nervous about him going to depot for six months since we aren't in the engagement stages or ready to make that kind of commitment...any advice? Also heard things can get pretty wild at depot and hook-ups happen...is this true or mostly rumours?
........ This sounds like something you should talk to your boyfriend about...... "Hook-ups" don't just happen, they are a choice...
RCMP Regular member "K" Division

nelly24
Rookie Member

Postby nelly24 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:57 pm

I have talked to my boyfriend about it but sometimes it is nice to ask others that have been in the same position as I may be in soon...

Flutter
Rookie Member

Postby Flutter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:57 am

nelly24 wrote:I have talked to my boyfriend about it but sometimes it is nice to ask others that have been in the same position as I may be in soon...
My husband has been in 7 years. He could rhyme off a list of hookups both within his troop and otherwise. It's a high stress situation with people put in close quarters for a long period of time. Of course those things happen. I trust him when he says he didn't, but frankly if I found out now that he had, I probably wouldn't care. That's probably easier to say 10 years into marriage than in a newer relationship. Frankly when he was calling me and stressing over being tested on this or that, or his injuries, fidelity was the last thing I was thinking about. Him achieving his dream and getting that sexy red at the end was.

Being with a cop is hard on a relationship. The hours, the stress, the things they can't tell you and even the things they can. The transient lifestyle and the lack of control over it. My husband's sgt tells him he won't be a real cop until he's got that first divorce under his belt. :? Depot is what it is. What your boyfriend needs from you is support, not stress and jealousy. I'd look for a safe place of your own to vent that, maybe a group like the depot dolls (?) on facebook. (I'm not a member so i don't know for sure.)

It helped me to to be able to visit for a weekend. Not only did it put faces to the names I heard frequently, but I felt like I was a real person to his troopmates. And I saw that frankly, for the most part he was way too busy to even think about women.

I hope some of this helps you, my thoughts are a bit scattered - my two year old and independent play often don't mix.

chocojena
Rookie Member

Postby chocojena » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:34 pm

hi, I have been reading and thought I would join! I did find the fb page and am waiting for their acceptance... My husband is done week 0 and on week 1 in troop 30. I am happy to read that if you have kids they most likely get you a posting with schools, which is my biggest concern. How are other wives coping with keeping the home fires going, besides eating too much chocolate?

Windfola
Rookie Member

Postby Windfola » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am

chocojena wrote:hi, I have been reading and thought I would join! I did find the fb page and am waiting for their acceptance... My husband is done week 0 and on week 1 in troop 30. I am happy to read that if you have kids they most likely get you a posting with schools, which is my biggest concern. How are other wives coping with keeping the home fires going, besides eating too much chocolate?

LOL...
Hi!
My husband is also in Troop 30 :D. We have kids as well. Do you have family or friends to help you out? It's a life saver for sure!! It was spring break for my school kids these last two weeks, so that's been a good time to transition for us. Next week will be a new kind of crazy!
And of course, chocolate helps!

TMAC77
Rookie Member

Postby TMAC77 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Hello everyone. It has been very helpful reading everybody's posts and replies :) … we are on month 23 of my husbands RCMP application. It has been a very long journey to say the least. We are in the final review stage and I believe they may have started the security clearance? Have had a lot of requests for information we already provided but that is okay, we are happy to oblige.

I am wondering if anyone can give me tips on what I should be doing to prepare in the event that he gets the call to go to depot.

We have four children, one with special needs and I work 40+ hours a week. I want to prepare as much in advance as possible and would really appreciate any advice or tips any of you could offer me. We have a house that we would need to sell and I'm wondering if I should be putting it up for sale immediately or waiting until my DH has some time spent at depot. Also I have heard we cannot pack ourselves, is that correct? Or is it we just cannot move ourselves? I have probably way too many questions… LOL

Looking to get organized...
Thank you,
Tara
Wife of an RCMP Hopeful
Troop #5 May 27th-Nov 17th 2015

Flutter
Rookie Member

Postby Flutter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:12 pm

TMAC77 wrote:Hello everyone. It has been very helpful reading everybody's posts and replies :) … we are on month 23 of my husbands RCMP application. It has been a very long journey to say the least. We are in the final review stage and I believe they may have started the security clearance? Have had a lot of requests for information we already provided but that is okay, we are happy to oblige.

I am wondering if anyone can give me tips on what I should be doing to prepare in the event that he gets the call to go to depot.

We have four children, one with special needs and I work 40+ hours a week. I want to prepare as much in advance as possible and would really appreciate any advice or tips any of you could offer me. We have a house that we would need to sell and I'm wondering if I should be putting it up for sale immediately or waiting until my DH has some time spent at depot. Also I have heard we cannot pack ourselves, is that correct? Or is it we just cannot move ourselves? I have probably way too many questions… LOL

Looking to get organized...
Thank you,
Tara
Wow! You sound very supportive. I can't imagine what it would be like if my husband went to depot now and I only have 2 kids.

I would not put my house on the market until your husband is in the late stages of Depot at the earliest. There are several points at which cadets can "fail out" of Depot. I'd hate to have sold my home and have extra stress on both of you. (My husband has been in 7 years so I don't remember the details, but I know people left his troop for both academic and medical reasons.)

The RCMP pays for their "half" of your move - packing your stuff, the actual transportation of it, some degree of accommodations to find a new place at your posting. I'm pretty sure that requires that you wait for their people to contact you to arrange. They have contracts with certain companies. I know people have said in the spouses group I belong to that move costs have been refused before when people start doing things on their own before the rcmp people contacted them. I imagine they're even more particular when it's a first transfer rather than from posting to posting.

I hope this helps! Just my two cents. Good luck to you and your husband.

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:22 am

Regarding selling your home before graduation, I've heard of cadets adding a condition to the sale that they complete Depot and receive a posting from the RCMP.

Even the best cadet can get sidelined by an injury. If the injury strikes at the end of training, they may still graduate but they won't be hired until they are medically cleared.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

TMAC77
Rookie Member

Postby TMAC77 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Depot Web wrote:Regarding selling your home before graduation, I've heard of cadets adding a condition to the sale that they complete Depot and receive a posting from the RCMP.

Even the best cadet can get sidelined by an injury. If the injury strikes at the end of training, they may still graduate but they won't be hired until they are medically cleared.
Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it and am very hopeful that my DH will NOT get injured. :) One can hope.

Thank you again,

Tara
Wife of an RCMP Hopeful
Troop #5 May 27th-Nov 17th 2015

Cherilyn
Rookie Member

anyone have their hubby at depot currently?

Postby Cherilyn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:03 pm

My hubby has been gone only 8 days and I'm a mess! Would love to find someone going through the same struggle!

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

nelly24 wrote:My boyfriend is currently in the process and waiting to hear about his polygraph results. A little nervous about him going to depot for six months since we aren't in the engagement stages or ready to make that kind of commitment...any advice? Also heard things can get pretty wild at depot and hook-ups happen...is this true or mostly rumours?
I was there for 6 months. Didn't see much "wild" and any "hookups" were consensual and planned between adults who wanted to. Any of the cheaters were usually ready to cheat from the onset and Depot had nothing to do with their choice.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Humans, including Cadets and long-in-the-tooth members; if you have wander-lust in your heart, you will let it come out. I still hold to the idea that this DOES make you a security risk, but I am old and crusty.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

thewaitingwife
Rookie Member

Re: anyone have their hubby at depot currently?

Postby thewaitingwife » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Cherilyn wrote:My hubby has been gone only 8 days and I'm a mess! Would love to find someone going through the same struggle!
Hi Cherilyn - there is a facebook group called Depot Dolls - specifically for those ladies with spouses at Depot. Check it out. My husband just got his troop offer last week - I will be in your shoes in just a few weeks!!