Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

chickwum
Rookie Member

Re: Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Postby chickwum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi - my boyfriend just got his depot date - Jan 11 - I been reading through different postings on this forum for a while now but I thought now I would join. I am so happy for him but I will miss him. I am just curious to know what it's like for the significant others. Are you able to talk to your partner much while he's there? Have any of you gone to visit or are they allowed to come back home? Curious to know what to expect for the next 6 months.

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:59 pm

chickwum wrote:Have any of you gone to visit or are they allowed to come back home? Curious to know what to expect for the next 6 months.
Cadets who have good time management skills and who are able to stay on top of their course work should be able to free up enough time to travel, especially on a long weekend.

Some significant others travel to Regina during training, but they are not allowed to stay at Depot and cadets must be back by curfew. Cadets can leave base after classes are complete on Friday but must return by 11pm Sunday.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

rasabeth
Rookie Member

Postby rasabeth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:58 am

It was mention in a previous post, but for all the spouses I recommend to join the group "Depot Dolls" on facebook. It's a life saver. All of your questions will be answer by spouses that went throw the process before.
Graduated August 24, 2009
J Division

OntWife
Rookie Member

Postby OntWife » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Well hubby got the call this morning that he is offered troop 25 Jan 19th. He took his PARE yesterday and did amazing and then call this morning. He leaves Toronto next Sat. What an amazing accomplishment all this time and he is just so hyper tonight. The sooner he gets there the sooner he finishes. Good luck to everyone else that is close to Depot!

Windfola
Rookie Member

Postby Windfola » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 pm

OntWife wrote:Well hubby got the call this morning that he is offered troop 25 Jan 19th. He took his PARE yesterday and did amazing and then call this morning. He leaves Toronto next Sat. What an amazing accomplishment all this time and he is just so hyper tonight. The sooner he gets there the sooner he finishes. Good luck to everyone else that is close to Depot!

Wonderful news!! Congratulations. My husband is on to final review, so we're hoping to be getting that call very soon too. It's just like you say - the sooner he goes, the sooner he is back and we can move on to the next chapter of our life! Good luck to you both. :)

mspouse
Rookie Member

Postby mspouse » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:41 pm

OntWife wrote:Well hubby got the call this morning that he is offered troop 25 Jan 19th. He took his PARE yesterday and did amazing and then call this morning. He leaves Toronto next Sat. What an amazing accomplishment all this time and he is just so hyper tonight. The sooner he gets there the sooner he finishes. Good luck to everyone else that is close to Depot!
Congrats :) he will do amazing!
My DH is troop 18!
good luck and it will go by fast!

spouse03
Rookie Member

Postby spouse03 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:20 pm

My man got the call today! Feb 2 is his date....so excited and proud! So much commitment to make it even this far :) now 12 days to get everything together!

Windfola
Rookie Member

Postby Windfola » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:15 pm

spouse03 wrote:My man got the call today! Feb 2 is his date....so excited and proud! So much commitment to make it even this far :) now 12 days to get everything together!
What great news! Congratulations :D

OntWife
Rookie Member

Postby OntWife » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Windfola wrote:
spouse03 wrote:My man got the call today! Feb 2 is his date....so excited and proud! So much commitment to make it even this far :) now 12 days to get everything together!
What great news! Congratulations :D
Amazing news, I am so happy to hear!! All the best to the both of you. Take these next 12 days and enjoy your time together. The next 6 months will go fast. ;)

OntWife
Rookie Member

Postby OntWife » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the well wishes. First week is going well and good luck to everyone! I am happy to have these forums that can help all of us who are holding down the home front.

Thegoodwife

Postby Thegoodwife » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Well Im so glad this forum is useful to everyone!!! I had receiced a couple PM from individuals that felt i was imposing on their space as a "spouse". My husband graduated in december and has been away from home for the last two months. If your spouse is at depot, i strong recommend the FB grouo depot dolls, it is amazing support. For those waiting, feel free to PM me with about what to expect as a spouse while your hubby is gone. Prepare yourself that they are crazy busy (even in weekends) and struggle to find time
To even talk! Thu can, just prepare yourself it is hard!!! Good luck everyone!
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia
Troop 6! June 11th-Dec 1st

thewaitingwife
Rookie Member

Postby thewaitingwife » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 am

Hi - brand new here - my hubby is just waiting for his Poly, so we have a ways to go yet. My brother is a rookie constable, graduated in 2014, so we are familiar with the process (my bro's application took over 2 years), but understand that everyone's experience is different.
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has already posted questions and responses on here - it is so helpful to have a forum for the anxious (and excited) spouses!!

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Thought some of you might want to know worrying about your spouse on the job makes you a whiney baby, your partners should look for other work. If you are in danger call a carpenter.

Not my words but if you want to vent on them check this out http://www.canadaka.net/forums/post2112041#p2112041

Nice poem about what goes through the head of a spouse when their significant other heads out each night and they see the recent tragedies on the news. Meant be kind of a memorial poem in light of the constable Wynn thing. The first reply felt it necessary to say all this and point out policing / Law Enforcement is not that dangerous.

For those of you with spouses applying its certainly important to have a good outright talk with your spouse about how life and worries will look and challenges. Its the type of talk you never have when your spouse comes home announcing he's going to install windows.

renee88
Rookie Member

Postby renee88 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi all,

My husband has passed his final review and has been waiting on this security clearance for the past 2 weeks. So hopefully he will be heading to depot in the near future! *fingers crossed*

I am a bit concerned about where he (and myself and our 3 little ones) may get posted though because I am in my 3rd year of a BCOMM and am hoping to go to law school once I complete my undergrad. In your experiences, how accommodating have the RCMP been in placing new members in a location somewhat close to a city with a university? We have discussed buying a house in the city, and my husband renting an apartment close to his detachment (or vise versa) but I would prefer that be a last resort!

Have any of you been in this situation, and is there any advice you can offer?

Thanks in advance!!

R.

Flutter
Rookie Member

Postby Flutter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:01 pm

renee88 wrote:Hi all,

My husband has passed his final review and has been waiting on this security clearance for the past 2 weeks. So hopefully he will be heading to depot in the near future! *fingers crossed*

I am a bit concerned about where he (and myself and our 3 little ones) may get posted though because I am in my 3rd year of a BCOMM and am hoping to go to law school once I complete my undergrad. In your experiences, how accommodating have the RCMP been in placing new members in a location somewhat close to a city with a university? We have discussed buying a house in the city, and my husband renting an apartment close to his detachment (or vise versa) but I would prefer that be a last resort!

Have any of you been in this situation, and is there any advice you can offer?

Thanks in advance!!

R.
Good luck! Things may have changed in eight years and my experience may not be yours. In my experience, your needs are not a big factor in placing your husband unfortunately. Obviously they would post him somewhere with schools for your kids. For us, when they asked for my husband's preferred divisions, he did not ask for Quebec. When he had his staffing meeting (two kids and 8 years, I don't remember what everything was called) he specifically said he would prefer not to go to Quebec since I didn't speak a word. Guess where we are! I believe then HR for the div asks for a list of where you'd like to be within the div and they try to be accommodating although their needs come first. They did give us the most Anglo-friendly posting they could. Still not somewhere I could work in my field.

Several members from my husband's troop managed to get posted around their divs to better locations within 3 to 5 years. Since you're open to considering your options I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out that meets both of your needs. Even if it takes a little longer than you'd like.

Fingers crossed for you!